[SOLVED] [HELP]My pc randomly freezes sometimes, I saw this on event viewer. GPU Driver errors?

Have you made any changes recently before the crashes started(drivers, overclocking, windows updates, etc?) Was the card already in your system or recently installed? If the card was changed recently or drivers updated, did you try a cleaning/removing program, then installation of new drivers?

goofy001

Commendable
Jun 18, 2020
Have you made any changes recently before the crashes started(drivers, overclocking, windows updates, etc?) Was the card already in your system or recently installed? If the card was changed recently or drivers updated, did you try a cleaning/removing program, then installation of new drivers?
The card was recently installed and no I did not try any cleaning/removing program. After that all I did was I looked for the drivers and installed them and then freezes happens (sometimes). Happens only on browsing I haven't had any issues on gaming (as I type this it freezed again). When it freezes the display is messed up and I hear the notification sound like when I plug a usb.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Solution

goofy001

Commendable
Jun 18, 2020
1st I'd try a driver cleaner, then reinstall the newest drivers.
https://www.guru3d.com/content-page/guru3d-driver-sweeper.html

Typically if the GPU was going out it would crash under hard loads, but not on basic web browsing, so I would exhaust all software possibilities first.

Edit: that was an old link, here is the newest version.
https://www.guru3d.com/files_details/display_driver_uninstaller_download.html
I just finished doing as what you instructed me to. I'll update if anything happens.

goofy001

Commendable
Jun 18, 2020
1st I'd try a driver cleaner, then reinstall the newest drivers.
https://www.guru3d.com/content-page/guru3d-driver-sweeper.html

Typically if the GPU was going out it would crash under hard loads, but not on basic web browsing, so I would exhaust all software possibilities first.

Edit: that was an old link, here is the newest version.
https://www.guru3d.com/files_details/display_driver_uninstaller_download.html
Update: I was playing and my game froze for about 30 secs, after that it went blackscreen and restarted, when it booted to the desktop the new installed drivers was gone and I was already using an outdated driver.

The description for Event ID 14 from source nvlddmkm cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

Edit: I just remembered that this has happened before, and I was playing that time too.

I was expecting the normal GPU crashing and then recovering a couple seconds later, this is a more serious fail. I'm assuming it only started AFTER you changed video cards and the drivers are now cleaned and updated. What power supply are you using and what type of temps is the GPU running at, at idle and under load?

goofy001

Commendable
Jun 18, 2020
I was expecting the normal GPU crashing and then recovering a couple seconds later, this is a more serious fail. I'm assuming it only started AFTER you changed video cards and the drivers are now cleaned and updated. What power supply are you using and what type of temps is the GPU running at, at idle and under load?
I'm using the COOLERMASTER MWE WHITE 500. The temps at idle are 38-44 and under load it's 50-55.

That should be plenty of power and a good quality PS, unless it's starting to fail and more power draw is showing it. Did the previous GPU use more or less power(what model)?

My next step would be updating the motherboard bios. If that doesn't work try underclocking the GPU power limit or clocks(sometimes a failing GPU or PSU will become stable with the GPU underclocked).

goofy001

Commendable
Jun 18, 2020
That should be plenty of power and a good quality PS, unless it's starting to fail and more power draw is showing it. Did the previous GPU use more or less power(what model)?

My next step would be updating the motherboard bios. If that doesn't work try underclocking the GPU power limit or clocks(sometimes a failing GPU or PSU will become stable with the GPU underclocked).
My previous graphics card uses less power (GTX 550 TI). My bios is at the latest version already should I reinstall the bios?

Update: I can't update my drivers, I'm stuck at this microsoft basic display adapter. Geforce experience says installation completed but nothing happens. I used DDU but still won't update. Boots with no drivers, stuck at 800x600 resolution, and when I check in GPU-Z the core clock, vram, boost clock is blank.

Last edited:
If the bios already has the newest version, then it should be fine. The new card only uses about 60 watts more than the 550ti, so not a big difference and you should be well below the capability of the power supply. Do you have another computer you can test the card in? Starting to sound like the card may just be bad. Where did you get the card from?

Also swap back in your 550ti, just to make sure there isn't some coincidence going on, like the power supply just happening to go out during the card swap. If your motherboard/cpu has built in graphics, with the card out does it work and everything is stable?

goofy001

Commendable
Jun 18, 2020
If the bios already has the newest version, then it should be fine. The new card only uses about 60 watts more than the 550ti, so not a big difference and you should be well below the capability of the power supply. Do you have another computer you can test the card in? Starting to sound like the card may just be bad. Where did you get the card from?

Also swap back in your 550ti, just to make sure there isn't some coincidence going on, like the power supply just happening to go out during the card swap. If your motherboard/cpu has built in graphics, with the card out does it work and everything is stable?
I just bought the card recently and I had it tested before i bought it, there were no issues at all and also had it furmark tested. I don't know what's caused this and I don't know if it's still repairable. I don't have another computer but i'm planning to test it tomorrow on my friend's computer.

I'm using the 550ti right now and there's no issues at all. My CPU has integrated graphics and yes it's stable and works with the card out.

EDIT: I tried my card on my friend's computer and the same thing happens. Can boot and gpu still detected on GPU-Z but can't install drivers stuck on 800x600 resolution. Can this be fixed?

Last edited: