Help needed building modern gaming and development Desktop. Last one I built was in 2009

ameya_13

Honorable
Feb 22, 2012
As the title says, I am building a new desktop for gaming and software development so want to get advice from the experts here if I am on the right track for it. The last desktop I built was in 2009 and had similar requirements but I was also pressed for cash at the time so I went for a value for money build. This time I have more financial freedom so I want to make sure I consider all factors. I have shortlisted my builds to 2 with the expected Ryzen 2 series due to launch soon as the alternative.

Build 1
https://se.pcpartpicker.com/user/ameya_13/saved/yW2D8d
The monitor is actually the AOC Q3279VWF which strangely enough was not part of pcpartpicker so used one which was similar. I am also wondering if I can go with the cheaper Asrock Extreme4 Z370 instead and buy a wireless pci card. Decided to go with two ssd instead of NVMe as the price difference was too high in my opinion

Build 2 (only changes from above build)
CPU - Ryzen 7 2700
Motherboard - X470??
Cpu cooler - stock

My requirements in terms of gaming are mainly RPG titles like Skyrim Special Edition, The witcher 2 and the witcher 3 etc. The title I play the most is warframe. In terms of software development, I expect my desktop to be able to run multiple docker containers running databases or java microservices. I intend to use one ssd primarily for my linux based development desktop and the other for my windows gaming. I intend for this to be a dual boot system.

On the gaming front, I can wait for some time as I have a Lenovo Y50-70 laptop for the time being. The problem I foresee with the ryzen is that I will have to purchase a discrete graphics card for a short time (something like the 1050 or 1050 Ti) till the prices come down as I won't even get a display otherwise.

My questions are thus -
* Are there any obvious flaws in my build?
* Will the i7 or the Ryzen 2700 be better for my needs. I understand the 2700 isn't launched yet but assuming that it will be at least 10% better than the 1700?
* Will I have to buy a discrete graphics card temporarily if I go with the Ryzen (I have an old MSI Radeon 6850 OC which I can get in another couple of months to tide me over till the gpu crisis hopefully resolves itself)
* Is there any way to reduce cost slightly without compromising on performance that I have missed?
* Are the cooling solutions (both case airflow and cpu cooling) sufficient?
* Is the PSU too much for this build assuming I add a graphics card at some point like the 1080?
* I have not overclocked before. Does overclocking still void warranty? I don't want to risk these expensive parts till the warranty lapses in that case.

Thanks in advance for any help I receive on this.

Solution
My questions are thus -
- no

* Will the i7 or the Ryzen 2700 be better for my needs. I understand the 2700 isn't launched yet but assuming that it will be at least 10% better than the 1700?
- the i7 will be better, maybe not always for the rendering stuff , but sometimes it is and it will always be better for the gaming part.

* Will I have to buy a discrete graphics card temporarily if I go with the Ryzen (I have an old MSI Radeon 6850 OC which I can get in another couple of months to tide me over till the gpu crisis hopefully resolves itself)
- yes , ryzen has got no onboard grapics(except the g series, which are quite weak)

* Is there any way to reduce cost slightly without compromising on...
My questions are thus -
- no

- the i7 will be better, maybe not always for the rendering stuff , but sometimes it is and it will always be better for the gaming part.

- yes , ryzen has got no onboard grapics(except the g series, which are quite weak)

* Is there any way to reduce cost slightly without compromising on performance that I have missed?
- 500 gb ssd and 1 tb hdd?

- you nailed it

* Is the PSU too much for this build assuming I add a graphics card at some point like the 1080?
no its great.

* I have not overclocked before. Does overclocking still void warranty? I don't want to risk these expensive parts till the warranty lapses in that case.
overclocking is your own risk... so yes.. but the chance u will break stuff is near 0. there are ALOT of safety features build in.

Solution
My questions are thus -
No

gaming wise, i7 will be still better.

should be okay

if you don't oc, using 8700 with stock cooler saves about $100+ usd, you can pbbly go with a cheaper MB like asrock pro4.

yes

650w is a good number.

official response is Yes.

ameya_13

Honorable
Feb 22, 2012

Thanks for your response! However, here in Sweden, the price difference between the 8700 and 8700k is about 300 kr so just about 30 dollars. I have also heard the stock cooler on the intels is really bad. Is it enough for the 8700 which I assume will run quite hot.

ameya_13

Honorable
Feb 22, 2012

Thanks for your response! Also, I will take your suggestion of using a single ssd and an hdd to go with it if needed. Any opinions on the Asrock Extreme 4 vs the Asrock Taichi vs the Gigabyte Aorus 5? I saw that the taichi is on discount right now costing the same as the Aorus 5 from where I am planning to buy.