Question Help Needed - Intermittent POST Failure on Aorus B450i Mini ITX Build

Jan 13, 2024
Hello Tom's HARDWARE community,

I'm reaching out for help regarding an Intermittent issue I've been experiencing with my PC. Here are the details of my system:

• PC Specs:
    • Phanteks Evolv Shift Air CASE
    • Ryzen 1800x CPU
    • AMD 6750xt GPU (with Phantkes riser cable)
    • DeepCool PM850D, 80 PLUS Gold Certified, Non-Modular (Less than 1-year-old)
    • Aorus B450i Mini ITX MOTHERBOARD
    • 8x2 (16GB) DDR4 Corsair Vengeance RAM 2133
    • 500GB NVMe DRIVE
    • Noctua NH-L9i CPU Cooler
    • No keyboard or mouse
  • Software Information:
    • Windows version: [Latest]
    • GPU Drivers: [Latest]
    • BIOS F61 (2021)
The Issue: Sometimes my computer fails to POST. When this occurs, the fans and lights turn on, but there's no display on the screen. However, there are instances when the PC boots and functions normally.

Troubleshooting Steps Taken: I've already tried the following solutions without a consistent fix:

• Replaced PSU (Seasonic 650w previously)
  • Replaced RAM (TeamGroup previously)
  • Replaced GPU (GTX970 previously)
  • Cleared the CMOS
  • BIOS defaults
  • Tried HDMI and DP outputs on GPU (Various cables)
  • Tried running with one stick of RAM
  • Added a "motherboard speaker" (error beeps: LONG SHORT SHORT SHORT, indicating a problem related to the video card - AGP error)
  • Various actions like powering off the PSU, turning the PC on and off, waiting, clearing CMOS, reseating RAM/GPU, and unplugging/plugging DP or HDMI cables.
  • Checked that all PSU cables were properly connected.
  • Ensured GPU and RAM were fully seated.
  • Noctua NH-L9i CPU Cooler is installed properly. (Temperatures are normal when PC boots)
  • Different wall outlet
  • Fresh Windows install

Additional Notes:

• The motherboard speaker beeps indicate a video card problem, but the issue is intermittent and challenging to pinpoint.
  • Occasionally, the PC boots after powering off the PSU, turning it on and off, waiting, clearing CMOS, reseating RAM, and unplugging/plugging the display cable. (one or a combination of these)
  • Notably, the beeping error does not always prevent the PC from booting. Plugging the DP/HDMI cable after the beeps sometimes causes the PC to boot and function normally.
Steps Not Yet Tried:

• Update to the latest BIOS version for the Aorus B450i Mini ITX motherboard.
  • Consider testing with a CPU with onboard graphics (if available) to eliminate potential GPU-related issues.
Thank you in advance for your assistance!

Best regards,

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

BIOS F61 (2021)
The latest listed on your motherboard's support page;
is F64e. Flash the BIOS to that version, clear the CMOS after verifying that the BIOS was flashed successfully and then go into BIOS, to boot to OS GUI.

Deepcool 850 ATX PSU
You should state the model of the unit. As of this moment all we know is the make and the advertised wattage of the unit. Include it's age as well.

Reactions: FS93
Jan 13, 2024
Thank you very much for the quick reply. I have just followed your steps and updated to the latest bios. I will report back if the issue occurs again. So far the first few boots seem stable and no error beeps.
Given the unpredictability of the issue, I'm still not 100% sure it won't happen again.

If you have other suggestions or possible solutions, I'd be happy to know.
(I have also updated the original post with the PSU information)

Jan 13, 2024
Quick update: After updating the BIOS to the latest version, the issue persists. I decided to take all the components out of the case and test them for a while, bypassing the riser cable. (Which I believe might be the issue)

Latest posts