[SOLVED] Help Needed, System Crashing Repeatedly

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

lunarfreakz

Honorable
May 7, 2018
So I have been getting a lot of BSOD recently (in the past month) and the stop codes I have been receiving are:

WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR
SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION
IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP
DRIVER_OVERRAN_STACK_BUFFER
DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION (What failed: nvlddmkm.sys)
CRITICAL PROCESS DIED
- after I received this Automatic Repair failed to repair my PC and mentioned at the bottom of the Blue Screen "Log file: C:\Windows\System32\Logfiles\Srt\SrtTrail.txt"

I did managed to reinstall Windows 10 however I received the BSOD with the stop code: SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION

(If it helps to give the order in which I have been receiving this, then I can do that as I took pictures almost every time I got the BSOD)
(These are already kind of in order of how I have been getting them but sometimes some of the stop codes popped up afterwards again so that is what I mean by order of occurrences; including the repeated ones)

When does this issue occur:
All of these stop codes occured whenever I would try to launch into a game in Fortnite, launch Fortnite or when I would leave a game of Fortnite to go back to the lobby. Therefore, this would happen whenever I was gaming.
I reassembled my PC and reinstalled Windows 10 but then, as mentioned above, after playing Fortnite for a bit (without the GPU or HDD connected) on my CPU graphics, the PC crashed and gave me the BSOD with the above mentioned stop code (SSE one).
Unfortunately whilst these BSOD were happening, I did try to dust off the inside of my PC with a vacuum cleaner (I did not touch any components) but not much of the dust came off. Then when I was cleaning the rest of my room I accidentally tipped my PC off my desk and it stopped halfway to the ground as it banged a bit against my other chair beside my desk and stayed there slanted. I checked where the chair hit the computer and it was right at the spot where there was no component on the other side of the side panel with the dent. The BSOD continued after this, not sure if this was in any way a cause to this problem.

System Spec:
CPU:
Intel - Core i7-8700 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor
Motherboard: Gigabyte H310M H
RAM: Crucial DDR4 Ballistix Sport LT 2x8GB 2666
GPU: VGA Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 Windforce OC
SSD: Samsung - 860 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
HDD: Seagate BarraCuda, 2 TB Hard Drive
Case: Corsair - 200R ATX Mid Tower Case
PSU: SeaSonic - FOCUS Plus Gold 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply

Please let me know if you have any solutions or ideas about this! Thank you

He is running the PC even without GPU. Yesterday we completely reinstalled everything except CPU+Cooler as he does not have thermal paste and isopropyl alcohol(we decided to do this in the last if nothing else works). We need to test the RAM though.
Unless i missed something, as per OP the crashes happen only during Fortnite session. Now, that game does lean a little more on the GPU performance for most of its PVE and PVP visuals. There is no way it can run smoothly on iGPU only.
OP, at this stage, how many of the above mentioned diagnostics have you completed successfully, and did you observe anything noticeable during these diagnostics??? Please be elaborate.

lunarfreakz

Honorable
May 7, 2018
It might not be a hardware problem. Are other games working fine on your machine??? What game settings are you using while playing???
Yeah some other ones worked, but apex legends for example also crashed... Like minecraft and PUBG worked fine I think. Not too sure right now. For Fortnite I had full 3D settings (1920x1080 or something) with distance as epic and the rest as low or off and thats it (even turned off motion blur, etc) like it would run 20-25 ping and 250+fps fine

lunarfreakz

Honorable
May 7, 2018
I literally just downloaded Aid64 and I am not sure if it already goes straight away to stress testing but my PC got loud for a bit and then boom, it just crashed and gave me the stop code: IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

This is the report from WhoCrashed:
Crash dumps are enabled on your computer.

Crash dump directories:
C:\Windows
C:\Windows\Minidump

On Tue 02/07/2019 12:34:45 your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\070219-4796-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x1BC8A0)
Bugcheck code: 0xA (0x0, 0xFF, 0xE0, 0xFFFFF80225F4D779)
Error: IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
file path: C:\Windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: NT Kernel & System
Bug check description: This indicates that Microsoft Windows or a kernel-mode driver accessed paged memory at DISPATCH_LEVEL or above. This is a software bug.
This bug check belongs to the crash dump test that you have performed with WhoCrashed or other software. It means that a crash dump file was properly written out.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

On Tue 02/07/2019 12:34:45 your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\Windows\MEMORY.DMP
This was probably caused by the following module: ntkrnlmp.exe (nt!setjmpex+0x8129)
Bugcheck code: 0xA (0x0, 0xFF, 0xE0, 0xFFFFF80225F4D779)
Error: IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
Bug check description: This indicates that Microsoft Windows or a kernel-mode driver accessed paged memory at DISPATCH_LEVEL or above. This is a software bug.
This bug check belongs to the crash dump test that you have performed with WhoCrashed or other software. It means that a crash dump file was properly written out.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

Seems like one of your device driver is malfunctioning/failing. Now its upto elimination test. The major components have to be eliminated for failure, one by one. Seems more like memory to me. Try disabling memory caching and run the stress again. Lets see if that works.

Seems like one of your device driver is malfunctioning/failing. Now its upto elimination test. The major components have to be eliminated for failure, one by one. Seems more like memory to me. Try disabling memory caching and run the stress again. Lets see if that works.
Did Stress test for CPU, cache, memory and local storage for 10min each and it was running fine. Temps were high but no blue screen

Can it be a problem of RAM slots instead of RAM sticks. We tried Memtest86 and tested both the sticks individually and nothing.

lunarfreakz

Honorable
May 7, 2018
Now we just tested with Heaven Benchmark along with MSI Afterburner and so the first time, it ran for about half of the scene that occurs in the Heaven Benchmark but then the whole screen just froze for a long time so we decided to power it off by force (holding down power off button). Then the second test ran for more than 1 scene (not 2 whole ones) of the Heaven Benchmark and then it crashed with a BSOD with the stop code: UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP.

First test stats:
CPU usage: below 10%
GPU usage: 97-99%
FPS: 220-235fps on average

Second test stats:
CPU usage: 15%, +/- 3%
GPU usage: 97-99%
FPS: 220-235fps on average

These were the settings of the Heaven Benchmark=
Language: English
Preset: Custom
API: DirectX 11
Quality: High
Tessellation: Disabled
Stereo 3D: Disabled
Multi-monitor: Disabled
Anti-aliasing: Off
Full screen: Off (I turned this one off because otherwise I can't get to the Afterburner stats)
Resolution: System

lunarfreakz

Honorable
May 7, 2018
Small update:

I tried to play Fortnite after running all the stress tests and it ran very smoothly for over an hour, no crashes, nothing. Then I downloaded The Witcher 3 to test another high graphics game and it ran perfectly well after 50 minutes or so when I went to save my progress, the game crashed. Just the game though, not the PC. No freezes just a sudden crash. So then I relaunched the game and this time whilst I was still in the game, my PC just randomly restarted by itself.. still not BSOD. But now, after an hour of keeping Fortnite on idle, I decided to launch into a Squad mode game and as it launched into the game my PC got a BSOD with stop code: IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL.

What do you think and what should I do?

Update: I just played Fortnite again and I managed to play 1 successful game (Duo) but then when I tried launching into another one (also squad mode again) it crashed with a BSOD with stop code: WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR

Last edited:

lunarfreakz

Honorable
May 7, 2018
I would like to still note these 2 remarks, is there any way that these remarks are maybe significant to why this is happening? Probably not but just to resurface these remarks.

So I ended up updating my BIOS, my drivers (using the help of Driver Easy) as well as updating Windows several times. Then I tried out the game and it launched for maybe 1:00-1:30 minutes before it crashed and gave me the stop code: UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP

I do have 2 remarks to make though:

1. I have an additional update that windows is offering but I have to select it manually to install it otherwise it tells me "You're up to date". Should I update this as well?

2. I updated/installed the "Motherboard resources" driver to become the new driver "Intel(R) Watchdog Timer Driver (Intel(R) WDT)" however there were 8x the "Motherboard resources" therefore I just installed each one of them accordingly to the new driver they gave me and the instructions on how to manually install it. However, only the 1st, 6th and 7th new "Intel(R) Watchdog Timer Driver (Intel(R) WDT)" drivers seemed to have installed with no issues but then the other 5 had a warning sign on their icon next to the driver. I opened a few and they either say under "Device status":
2a [2 of the 5 warning signed drivers had this])
This device cannot find enough free resources that it can use. (Code 12)
If you want to use this device, you will need to disable one of the other devices on this system.

2b [2 of the 5 warning signed drivers had this])
This device cannot start. (Code 10)
The device is not in a valid state to perform this request.

2c [only 1 had this])
A device which does not exist was specified.

What should I do about this?
Let me know what you think of this!

I would like to still note these 2 remarks, is there any way that these remarks are maybe significant to why this is happening? Probably not but just to resurface these remarks.
For the first point, if its a security update, then you should do it. If its recommended or optional, create a restore point manually before doing it, so that you can roll back in case you need to.
For the second point, it would be helpful if the erroneous drivers can be identified.
At this point I am curious about the wattage consumed by your machine and the temps it is showing.

lunarfreakz

Honorable
May 7, 2018
For the second point, it would be helpful if the erroneous drivers can be identified.
At this point I am curious about the wattage consumed by your machine and the temps it is showing.
What do you mean with these 2 points^

Also I just ran Fortnite for a solid 4 hours but then it crashed when I tried launching into a game, with a BSOD with the stop code: WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR

Update: I ran Fortnite for another like 30-40 minutes with no problems.

Last edited:
What do you mean with these 2 points^

Also I just ran Fortnite for a solid 4 hours but then it crashed when I tried launching into a game, with a BSOD with the stop code: WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR

Update: I ran Fortnite for another like 30-40 minutes with no problems.
I am feeling more and more convinced about this being a bad driver issue. Good to know you can run some of the games, but its not fixed until you stop getting those errors.
On a sidenote, download HWInfo and monitor the temps during your gaming sessions, specially intense scenes.

lunarfreakz

Honorable
May 7, 2018
I am feeling more and more convinced about this being a bad driver issue. Good to know you can run some of the games, but its not fixed until you stop getting those errors.
On a sidenote, download HWInfo and monitor the temps during your gaming sessions, specially intense scenes.
I got to update about 4 more drivers (Driver Easy detected them yesterday) so I will create a restore point and update these 4. Then I will play the 2 games I downloaded and keep you updated.

I will keep track of the temps with the suggested app and also keep you updated on how high they get during the gaming sessions.

lunarfreakz

Honorable
May 7, 2018
I truely thought things were going well after that but I did not even launch into any game in Fortnite. This time I just had it open and I was going through my microphone settings (cz my mic is now broken, like it's VERY quiet, for some reason which is just great) and then it just crashed with the BSOD and stop code: WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR

(Also I updated the 4 drivers before all this happened^)

Last edited:

lunarfreakz

Honorable
May 7, 2018
Okay so another update:
During my gameplay, the CPU temperature is going up to 100 degrees almost all the time.

These are things I noticed when playing Fortnite:
  1. the temps of the individual cores range from 87-100 (on average like 95)
  2. CPU is throtteling between like 13%-20%
  3. It says overheating is detected or something

Also I downloaded Intel Extreme Tuning Utility and I was reading the main page and at the bottom it says this:

Watchdog
Watchdog Present: Not supported
Running at Boot: Not applicable
Failed: Not applicable

This is the driver that is errored in my Drivers.

Also, the watchdog update, I don't know if I was supposed to update all the "Motherboard resources" drivers to this watchdog driver because Driver Easy never specified and there were 8 motherboard resource drivers so I just updated all of them. I don't know it's still bugging me and I guess I just want to be safe.

lunarfreakz

Honorable
May 7, 2018
Also, refer to this again, you mentioned "Try disabling memory caching and run the stress again. Lets see if that works". What should I do with this? How do I disable memory caching?

I truely thought things were going well after that but I did not even launch into any game in Fortnite. This time I just had it open and I was going through my microphone settings (cz my mic is now broken, like it's VERY quiet, for some reason which is just great) and then it just crashed with the BSOD and stop code: WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR
WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR can happen due to high temps. 100 degrees is disaster. You should get a better cooler/case/fan, before you fry the chip.

Okay so another update:
During my gameplay, the CPU temperature is going up to 100 degrees almost all the time.

These are things I noticed when playing Fortnite:
  1. the temps of the individual cores range from 87-100 (on average like 95)
  2. CPU is throtteling between like 13%-20%
  3. It says overheating is detected or something
Also I downloaded Intel Extreme Tuning Utility and I was reading the main page and at the bottom it says this:

Watchdog
Watchdog Present: Not supported
Running at Boot: Not applicable
Failed: Not applicable

This is the driver that is errored in my Drivers.

Also, the watchdog update, I don't know if I was supposed to update all the "Motherboard resources" drivers to this watchdog driver because Driver Easy never specified and there were 8 motherboard resource drivers so I just updated all of them. I don't know it's still bugging me and I guess I just want to be safe.
Dont bother with these Watchdog crap and similar stuff when your system is playing up. Just install the basic chipset and network drivers and do your testing. These things are for stable runtime.

Also, refer to this again, you mentioned "Try disabling memory caching and run the stress again. Lets see if that works". What should I do with this? How do I disable memory caching?
Heres how... https://m.wikihow.com/Disable-BIOS-Memory-Options

Hellfire13 his CPU is running too hot but when stress tested it for 10min it din't cause the failure. Yes he should get the aftermarket CPU cooler but will it solve his problem I am not completely sure of it.
When fixing a problem all possible loopholes have to be covered to reach the source, And that kind of temp. is the first sign of trouble.

Last edited:

lunarfreakz

Honorable
May 7, 2018
"WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR can happen due to high temps. 100 degrees is disaster. You should get a better cooler/case/fan, before you fry the chip."

Yes so we decided that I will get the be quiet! Pure-Rock Slim CPU cooler and we will install it tomorrow.

"Dont bother with these Watchdog crap and similar stuff when your system is playing up. Just install the basic chipset and network drivers and do your testing. These things are for stable runtime."

Okayy, I will leave it till last. What do you mean with "Just install the basic chipset and network drivers and do your testing. These things are for stable runtime". Don't exactly know what you are referring to.

"Heres how... https://m.wikihow.com/Disable-BIOS-Memory-Options"

Okay I will do this after I install the CPU cooler tomorrow if the cooler doesn't work.

lunarfreakz

Honorable
May 7, 2018
WDT is a hardware monitoring tool that use additional system resources to mitigate hardware issues. You can install it once your system is stably up and running. Stick to the mandatory drivers for now.
Oh but I have it already installed, like I forcefully updated the original driver to WDT because that's what the instruction from Driver Easy told me to do. This was the result like I had mentioned earlier:

However, only the 1st, 6th and 7th new "Intel(R) Watchdog Timer Driver (Intel(R) WDT)" drivers seemed to have installed with no issues but then the other 5 had a warning sign on their icon next to the driver. I opened a few and they either say under "Device status":

2a [2 of the 5 warning signed drivers had this])
This device cannot find enough free resources that it can use. (Code 12)
If you want to use this device, you will need to disable one of the other devices on this system.

2b [2 of the 5 warning signed drivers had this])
The device is not in a valid state to perform this request.

2c [only 1 had this])
A device which does not exist was specified.

TRENDING THREADS