Question Help Needed with Custom PC BSOD Issues

May 4, 2024
Hi everyone,

I'm looking for some help with my custom-built PC. I’ve had no problems for years, but recently, I’ve been experiencing some strange BSODs. Here’s what’s happening:

• BSOD Details: The BSOD only occurs on startup. It’s not a typical BSOD; the screen is blurry with four BSOD images at the top half and nothing at the bottom. The first time it happened, there were colored lines on the bottom half, but that only happened once.
  • Temporary Fix: To fix it, I force shutdown and power back on, and the system runs perfectly fine afterward. It never crashes while I’m using the PC.
  • Occurrence: This issue only happens after the PC has been off for a while. If I shut down and turn it back on shortly after, there are no problems. It doesn't happen hardly either, only at random, It could be fine for days.
My system specs are:

• Motherboard: TuF Gaming X570 Plus (4 years old)
  • RAM: 16GB T-Force (diagnostic tests show RAM is fine)
  • Cooler: DeepCool Liquid Cooler LT720 (8 months old)
  • PSU: Corsair 850W Gold+ (4 years old)
  • CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X (8 months old)
  • GPU: XFX AMD RX 6800 16GB SWFT 319 (8 months old)
Additionally, I analyzed a dump file from one of the BSODs and here’s the key information:

vbnet
SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION (3b)
An exception happened while executing a system service routine.
Arguments:
Arg1: 00000000c0000005, Exception code that caused the BugCheck
Arg2: fffff8045e4464ea, Address of the instruction which caused the BugCheck
Arg3: ffff8386b626a7b0, Address of the context record for the exception that caused the BugCheck
Arg4: 0000000000000000, zero.

From the dump analysis, it seems to be related to ks.sys and an audio driver (AtihdWT6.sys). Here are some more details from the analysis:

makefile
PROCESS_NAME: svchost.exe
SYMBOL_NAME: ks!KspPinPropertyHandler+192
MODULE_NAME: ks
IMAGE_NAME: ks.sys
IMAGE_VERSION: 10.0.22621.3209
FAILURE_BUCKET_ID: AV_ks!KspPinPropertyHandler

This Dump file was analysed with ChatGPT.

I've already done a clean boot, but the problem persists.

Any insights or suggestions on what might be causing this and how to fix it would be greatly appreciated!

Many thanks.

Last edited:

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
When you say clean boot, do you mean a fresh OS install? Could just be a corrupt OS or bad driver.

If you haven't, update the motherboard BIOS. Update all motherboard drivers including the audio chipset. Update the GPU drivers. (Consider using DDU to completely wipe the drivers)

If the problem persists, then possibly consider updating the video card BIOS. The GPU does output audio so it could be having issues on boot.

May 4, 2024
When you say clean boot, do you mean a fresh OS install? Could just be a corrupt OS or bad driver.

If you haven't, update the motherboard BIOS. Update all motherboard drivers including the audio chipset. Update the GPU drivers. (Consider using DDU to completely wipe the drivers)

If the problem persists, then possibly consider updating the video card BIOS. The GPU does output audio so it could be having issues on boot.
Yes, I did a reset of windows & kept my files, but the problem still persists. I do think there is an update for the motherboard BIOS, which I haven't done yet. Could it be the GPU itself?

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
It is possible, but it should still be within the warranty period if so. If you narrow it down, should just be a simple RMA, but that might leave you without a card for a while. Sometimes people buy another card, and then sell the other card when it comes back repaired or replaced.

May 4, 2024
It is possible, but it should still be within the warranty period if so. If you narrow it down, should just be a simple RMA, but that might leave you without a card for a while. Sometimes people buy another card, and then sell the other card when it comes back repaired or replaced.
Ok thanks, Also I didn't mention that it doesn't always happen only at random, it could be fine for days and then it just happens.
I did update graphics drivers as I reinstalled everything again thinking I've fixed the issue, but it did it again today, which is really annoying. What would you do first? Should I update bios and see if this fixes the problem? if not then send my graphics card back? & any other ideas would be much appreciated. Someone previously mentioned on my first post about PSU but I never shared the analysis, but looking at that analysis, it cant be, can it?

Last edited:

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
I wouldn't expect failure out of a 4 year old Corsair unit, but again, possible. A warm up problem from a cold start maybe. But I would expect more general problems than just a start up issue.

As I mentioned, updating the motherboard BIOS and ALL the drivers is a easy first step. Could be as simple as a Windows update that doesn't play well with an older driver. You think there is an audio driver issue, but it could easily be another motherboard driver interfering and causing another driver to crash. Windows updates can even make an older driver behave incorrectly.

Using DDU https://www.guru3d.com/download/display-driver-uninstaller-download/ before installing the latest video driver can fix anomalous issues. This removes ALL the video drivers, completely. Intel, AMD, Nvidia and prevents old settings and files from being cached. This gives you a truly clean slate to work with. Even more so then a fresh Windows install which will come with its old cache of drivers.

I would also completely re-build any system with issues. Sometimes all it takes is a partially unplugged connector or cable. Warm up issues are sometimes a sign of this. Some connector only making good contact once the system has warmed up.

Always try the free options first. RMA of a video card can take a while, and there are sometimes costs associated with shipping.

Reactions: Redninja24367