help needed with ram

KNARF XD

Honorable
Nov 28, 2013
hello,

i am building a secondairy rig with some spare parts, the motherboard and cpu will come from an old del optiplex 755, and i got 6 gb of ddr2 ram to put in, but 2 sticks of 2gb and 2 of 1gb, the 2 of 1gb are the same, the 2 of 2gb are different. which sticks should i put it what slot?

kashyapjatin

Reputable
Jul 11, 2015
use 2gb ram both ram should be equal gigs otherwise the ram got malfuntion,
same here with me when i have 4gb ddr3 and then i put old 2gb ram ddr3 my system freez out and automatic restart then i take out 2gb and installed 4gb ddr3 and it works fine

use 2 of 2gb is does'nt matter which manufactured it was
my both ram are 4gb but both are from different manufactured one from kingston and other one from simmitronics

thanks

KNARF XD

Honorable
Nov 28, 2013

both 1gb come from the same system, the same timings and are from the same manufactor, kingston
both 2gb come from different systems, have the same manufactor, micron, but have different timings

kashyapjatin

Reputable
Jul 11, 2015
okay,,, sorry for misunderstanding u can't use 2 diff. clocks of ram
both should be equal clock if u are using 1600mhz, other one should be 1600mhz otherwise its malfuntion the lower clock ram

KNARF XD

Honorable
Nov 28, 2013

they clock down to the lowest common speed

KNARF XD

Honorable
Nov 28, 2013
it is installing windows now, so far so good, the advice from Tradesman1 about in which slot is what i asked for, and because it is oem i have no voltage controll.
i will see if it will be stay stable under load when the instalation is done.
thanks

KNARF XD

Honorable
Nov 28, 2013

it didnt accepted ahci, so i used legacy to install windows, the instalation went just fine, but after it was all done all that happened when i booted was a loop: boots -> that moment to spam f2 to enter the bios (forgot the proper name :p) -> black screen with white blinking bar in the top left -> a fague short noise while it turns off *repeat*
this also happened when i installed it on ata. when i installed it and then changed it back to ahci it would just take longer to turn off, it would be longer on the black screen with the blinking line.
btw, i just noticed that the motherboard of the hp only has 2 ram slots, so im limited to 4gb, but it also has a pci slot, so i can put in an old wifi card :D