[SOLVED] Help networking self build

Mar 29, 2020
Built my first CPU. Having trouble networking. Motherboard is MSI Z390 gaming edge AC. I don’t have an optical drive and no wireless card. Planned to hardwire to router via Ethernet cable.

when plugged, my computer doesn’t seem to recognize any connection. Is there a way I can check the functionality of the Ethernet plug on the CPU via the bios?

any other thoughts on how to troubleshoot/fix?

Solution
Built my first CPU. Having trouble networking. Motherboard is MSI Z390 gaming edge AC. I don’t have an optical drive and no wireless card. Planned to hardwire to router via Ethernet cable.

when plugged, my computer doesn’t seem to recognize any connection. Is there a way I can check the functionality of the Ethernet plug on the CPU via the bios?

It sounds like you haven't installed the motherboard drivers which is where the driver for that device would be. Since you don't have an optical drive, you will have to use a fully functioning PC to either copy the drivers from the motherboard CD or download the drivers from the manufacturer's website. Then use a USB to load them on...

kanewolf

Titan

It sounds like you haven't installed the motherboard drivers which is where the driver for that device would be. Since you don't have an optical drive, you will have to use a fully functioning PC to either copy the drivers from the motherboard CD or download the drivers from the manufacturer's website. Then use a USB to load them on the new PC.

Reactions: Bretwk
Solution

kanewolf

Titan
Ok. So there is an “ami bios” to download and then about a dozen individual drivers. Are they all not packaged anywhere?
Yes, on the CD that came with the motherboard but since you don't have an optical drive you can't take advantage of that.

I would download and install the "Intel Chipset driver" first. Then install the "Intel Network Driver". That SHOULD get you network connectivity.
Also, your motherboard has built-in WIFI. So you can download and install the "Intel WIFI Driver". Make sure you connect the external antennas.

Mar 29, 2020
Ok. Ethernet is connected. Any interest in walking me through improving my speed? Need this thing optimized for my daughter to play fortnite. My son’s computer is currently less than 1 ms Ping and 800 mbps download and my daughters computer is speed testing at 10 - 50 ms ping and 5-10 mbps.

I am using a tp-link to get Ethernet to my daughters room but it should be good for up to 600 mbps (from what I read).

kanewolf

Titan
Ok. Ethernet is connected. Any interest in walking me through improving my speed? Need this thing optimized for my daughter to play fortnite. My son’s computer is currently less than 1 ms Ping and 800 mbps download and my daughters computer is speed testing at 10 - 50 ms ping and 5-10 mbps.

I am using a tp-link to get Ethernet to my daughters room but it should be good for up to 600 mbps (from what I read).
I would recommend creating a new thread. Include the model number of ALL network hardware involved.