[SOLVED] help p6t v2 deluxe not in the win 10 compatibility

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

anaturelover

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2012
hi
I have still win 7 and want win 10. but asus says it is not compatible.
at the same time some people seems to maybe have make it work
can you help me
her is my rig

megahelm prolimatech cooler for socket 1336

I have 12 gig ram 12.0GB Triple-Channel DDR3 @ 534MHz (8-7-7-20)

896-P3-1255-AR - eVGA GTX 260 CORE 216 55NM 576MHZ 896MB 1.998GHZ GDDR3 PCI-E 2XDVI-I HDTV OUT

P6T DELUXE V2 - ASUS P6T DELUXE V2 S.1366 INT X58/ICH10R ATX 3PCIE X16,6D.DDR3-1600MHZ FSP WIFI-AP GBLAN

BX80601920 - INTEL CORE I7-920 2.66GHZ 8MB CACHE LGA-1366 4.8GT QPI Intel Core i7 920 @ 2.67GHz 50 °C Bloomfield 45nm Technology

HD103UJ - SAMSUNG SPINPOINT F1 HD103UJ 1TB SATA 3G 7200 RPM 32MB CACHE

Second hdd western digital 500 gb sata 32mb cache 7200rpm WD5002AAEX-00Z3A0

Solution
Neither ASUS nor Intel have a Windows 10 chipset driver available for the X58 chipset OR that motherboard model. That leaves the only option as being whether Microsoft has a generic all purpose chipset driver for it, which they might, but there are no guarantees. You'd simply have to try it. And that doesn't necessarily mean you are going to find Windows 10 compatible drivers for the rest of the hardware such as the onboard audio, network adapters or secondary storage controllers, but again, Windows MIGHT have drivers for those as well. The only way to KNOW for sure, is to try.

I've upgraded older systems than yours to Windows 10 so it's certainly possible. Best bet is to make a backup using Macrium Reflect or Acronis true image, or...

86zx

Upstanding
Nov 1, 2019
86zx tx for your sharing, what was the last version win10 you had that worked on p6t?
Well when I last had it I believe it was 1903 my friend is currently in possession of it. I’ll see if I can get what version it’s on currently when he gets out of work. Also my board was a normal p6t no deluxe or anything

Last edited:
Compatibility mode has nothing, at all, to do with any of this. Compatibility mode is for running applications that worked on older versions of Windows but do not on the current version. It has nothing at all to do with drivers. IF that board works with Windows 10 it's because Microsoft has natively provided generic universal drivers that have allowed it to be supported.

Whether your board was a p6t or p6t deluxe, it would have the same chipset and driver requirements so that part likely doesn't matter too much. If it worked on one of them it should work on the other.

86zx

Upstanding
Nov 1, 2019
Compatibility mode has nothing, at all, to do with any of this. Compatibility mode is for running applications that worked on older versions of Windows but do not on the current version. It has nothing at all to do with drivers. IF that board works with Windows 10 it's because Microsoft has natively provided generic universal drivers that have allowed it to be supported.

Whether your board was a p6t or p6t deluxe, it would have the same chipset and driver requirements so that part likely doesn't matter too much. If it worked on one of them it should work on the other.
While that’s more likely the case you can install drivers in a compatibility mode to get the driver to install if the driver software is looking for a specific version.

No, you can't. Compatibility mode is for applications, not drivers. If a driver does not have support for a specific OS version and the driver it does have is not compatible with the OS version you are trying to use it on, then it simply can't be used on that OS. There is no "driver compatibility mode" in reality.

What there IS, is a workaround to try to "trick" the driver into believing it is being installed on a platform that is supported, but if there are core or fundamental differences in any part of the driver framework, which there are in a LOT of instances, it simply will not work or it will work but you will end up with problems, BSODs, freezing, and other errors. It is, what it is. Either there is driver support for Windows 10, or Windows 10 supports the hardware natively, or you are SOL.

86zx

Upstanding
Nov 1, 2019
No, you can't. Compatibility mode is for applications, not drivers. If a driver does not have support for a specific OS version and the driver it does have is not compatible with the OS version you are trying to use it on, then it simply can't be used on that OS. There is no "driver compatibility mode" in reality.

What there IS, is a workaround to try to "trick" the driver into believing it is being installed on a platform that is supported, but if there are core or fundamental differences in any part of the driver framework, which there are in a LOT of instances, it simply will not work or it will work but you will end up with problems, BSODs, freezing, and other errors. It is, what it is. Either there is driver support for Windows 10, or Windows 10 supports the hardware natively, or you are SOL.
thats what I just said....

anaturelover

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2012
hi i went on my admin session to double click the mediatool file so it would install to the usb but at the end it said it was unsuccesfull. i formated then quick than normal format in fat32 and retried letting it go during night. this morning I had no message and when i open explorator to see if there is something on it it looks as if it is still empty.
is it supposed to be invisible? how can i see it?
am i supposed to ntsf it before. it is a recent cruizer glide 3.0 westernD 32g
if i retry can i try to install it from my(nonadminright session) by clicking run as admin?

tx
ho and there is this microsoft page i read that is talking about diskpart wich i know nothing of do i have to do this?
https://support.microsoft.com/en-ca...er-from-a-usb-flash-drive-that-is-formatted-t

There should be NOTHING you need to do to ANYTHING, if you are doing it right. If you follow the steps EXACTLY as I outlined them in my tutorial, and can't figure it out, then you probably need help from somebody who knows how to install windows.

If you run the media creation tool and choose the "Create media for installation on another computer" option, IT will do everything that is necessary to be done to the drive to prepare it for creating Windows installation media to be used to install Windows 10. It is not rocket science. It is not even hard. It is a very simply process.

You are trying to install Windows 10, from IN Windows 7?

Or are you trying to create the installation media on flash drive, and are getting that message?

Because the error I'm seeing there is that you are trying to INSTALL Windows, from within Windows, and that is not how you do it.

anaturelover

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2012
they say here

This issue occurs because the USB flash drive is listed as removable media. Therefore, the Windows operating system does not create a master boot record (MBR) on the USB flash drive when you format the flash drive to use the FAT32 file system. The USB flash drive is treated as a super floppy disk. The FAT32 startup code does not support starting a computer from a super floppy disk without an MBR.

The BIOS tries to transfer the control of the startup from the USB flash drive to the FAT32 startup code, even though the FAT32 startup code does not support this scenario.

usb created succesfully i had to close my avira.

Last edited:

86zx

Upstanding
Nov 1, 2019
Cool man.

That is a big part of the reason why I don't run Avira or any other third party antivirus anymore. Windows defender does as well or better than any of the other free or paid versions anyhow.
I whole heartedly agree with this.

and as far as media creation I’ve had issues with some flash drives I switched to using an external hard drive

Yes, that can work on some systems. It's weird though, because some systems are the opposite and don't want to install from external HDD or SSD but WILL install from an external flash drive. And then some work the other way, or do fine either way. It may probably be a combination of the board, BIOS settings, the drive or drives involved, what was used to make the installation media and also even what USB port you're using.

And then sometimes I think that some systems are sentient, and are just doing stuff intentionally to piss me off.