Question HELP! PC will boot with 1 stick of ram, but not 2

Jul 9, 2023
Im refreshing my old build with a new cpu, mobo, ram and ssd. I got everything and put it together, but it now wont boot (even to just bios) with my 2 new sticks of ram. it runs fine with 1 though. It gives me a red led labeled cpu when i try 2 sticks. I confirmed that its not the actual ram sticks by swapping them out and using both to boot on their own. If anyone can shed some light that might help would be greatly appreciated
My specs are
CPU: Amd Ryzen 7 5800x
MOBO: Tomahawk B550
Ram: G Skill Ripjaw V serie ddr4 3600
Gpu: Evga 980ti

Last edited:

EyyMunchian

Honorable
Dec 28, 2016
Im refreshing my old build with a new cpu, mobo, ram and ssd. I got everything and put it together, but it now wont boot (even to just bios) with my 2 new sticks of ram. it runs fine with 1 though. It gives me a red led labeled cpu when i try 2 sticks. I confirmed that its not the actual ram sticks by swapping them out and using both to boot on their own. If anyone can shed some light that might help would be greatly appreciated
My specs are
CPU: Amd Ryzen 7 5800x
MOBO: Tomahawk B550
Ram: G Skill Ripjaw V serie ddr4 3600
Gpu: Evga 980ti
When you swap the sticks out, do you put them in their respective motherboard slots? For example, stick 1 in slot 1 and stick 2 in slot 2 or did you swap stick 1 in slot 1 with stick 2 in slot 1?

Jul 9, 2023
When you swap the sticks out, do you put them in their respective motherboard slots? For example, stick 1 in slot 1 and stick 2 in slot 2 or did you swap stick 1 in slot 1 with stick 2 in slot 1?
i swapped sticks in both slots. stick 1 in slot 1 and slot 2, and vise verca

yes. I put them in the other configuration aswell and it still didnt work
Is this one of those motherboards with only 1 clamp on the right side of the stick? From my own erroneous experience, you have to be careful in seating the left side of the stick fully in the slot before closing the right clamp. Its almost like you need a magnifying glass to examine the seating of the stick, at least I did.

Jul 9, 2023
Is this one of those motherboards with only 1 clamp on the right side of the stick? From my own erroneous experience, you have to be careful in seating the left side of the stick fully in the slot before closing the right clamp. Its almost like you need a magnifying glass to examine the seating of the stick, at least I did.
lol ya iits only got 1 clamp. I found out how finicky they are pretty quick