Help please! new build won't boot up

kalykos

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2011
Hello everyone.

First I'm not to pc saavy...So as topic says I have a new build that I put together myself. I followed instructions on how to build from a thread on here and the fans & led's turn on but I get now initial boot tone. I rechecked my cables & also had a friend who knows more abour pc's & building & he was stumped. He recommended that I take it to a shop & have it looked at. Since we don't have compatable parts. I'm guessinng I got something doa & have no clue what I would rma.

So my question is, if no one has any ideas, is where could I go to have it looked at. I don't really want to take it to frys or best buy. I live in northern Orange County so I don't mind going OC or LA but close would be nice.

Oh one thing I just thought of is I tried booting with just hdmi plugged in & not vga/dvi. Would that make a difference? Lol

Thanks for your time

Ryan

Petrofsky

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2008
What I tell everybody with this problem, and practically nobody ever actually does, is take it all apart and put it back together again. And I mean screws out of the mobo, CPU back in the bag---everything. "Checking" your assembly accomplishes approximately nothing. If you need the logic of my suggestion (aside from the evidence I have of having seen it work countless times), there might be debris trapped under a component, you might have a plug shifted one pin and can't see it from the top, you might have pinched something to ground when you screwed in the mobo, you might have a plug caterwampus---the list is literally endless, and that's precisely why you have to just bite the bullet and get hands-on. And make sure to unplug power from the wall whenever you do anything inside the case.

kalykos

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2011
Another thing I didn't specify was when I turned it on. I got a "no signal/input" on the tv.

Only had the hdmi plugged it no other input.

I will go thru the checklist though thanks

Westinghouse tv 1080p

SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM 3.0/3.5

CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMZ8GX3M2A1600C8R

OCZ Vertex 2 OCZSSD3-2VTX90G 3.5" 90GB SATA II MLC Internal SSD

ASUS DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS Black SATA 24X

COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus RR-B10-212P-G1

Antec DF-85 Black ATX Full Tower

GIGABYTE GA-Z68A-D3H-B3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel

Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-C

CORSAIR Professional Series HX750 (CMPSU-750HX) 750W ATX12V 2.3 / EPS12V 2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS SILVER Certified

EVGA SuperClocked 01G-P3-1563-AR GeForce GTX 560 Ti (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supp

COLGeek

Cybernaut

Return them. Those are referred to as heat spreaders. Looking at your other stuff now. BTW, could actually be a memory problem. Do you have any compatible memory that you could swap from another system for troubleshooting?

kalykos

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2011

I should be able to get a hold of this:

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL9S-4GBRL

008Rohit

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2011
remove the memory and everything. place the processor. connect the +12V and +5V wires. does the CPU fan spin?
Yes? CPU is alright, MoBo is too. (chance of no display prob)

no spinning? does the processor chip heat up? CPU is fine, mobo is not.

kalykos

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2011

So I unplug everything. Take out ram And take off the heatsinnnk? Just cpu & mobo. Sorry just want to make sure I do it right.

zero888

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2011
When booting are you sure all the power connections are connected to the mobo(a lot of people forget installing the 4 pin on the top left of the mobo)? Also double check your mobo manual to see if you installed the ram on the right ones (usual noob mistake). Sata connection of your hdd should be on sata 1 port. Double check all those pin connections that connect the front lights and switches.

tomskent

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2010

Do as petrofsky says!
This will take care of any user install issues.

kalykos

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2011
Haven't had time to take apart yet. But the heatsink fan spins

The other ram I tried didn't fit was to small.

So next I'm taking apart & gona try searching for compatible ram

kalykos

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2011
ok, I took everything apart and put it back together still the same problem. So it seems like 008 says RAM which i need to RMA anyway or need to RMA MoBo.

Is there any chance that there is a problem with the PSU? I'm using one from a previous build, which I just gave to my dad, that had an issue I never resolved. Though I think the problem was the GPU becuase that pc was working fine and then one day i got no display on that build. May not matter but thought I should bring it up. Everything else in build listed is brand new...

edit: also went thru that checklist thread, pretty sure I did all that correctly \:

kalykos

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2011

what about port '0' ??

kalykos

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2011
Was able to try the gpu on another build and it worked fine. So waiting for delivery on rma. Of the mobo & ram. Hopefully that's the end of it. Thanks everyone for your help. Ill post again if any one would like to know. Have a good weekend

Petrofsky

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2008
Hey, you actually did it. I'm so happy. The other benefit to doing the disassembly/reassembly is that even if it doesn't fix it, you can move on to eliminating components one at a time feeling good about the physical assembly.

TRENDING THREADS