[SOLVED] HELP - Recurring problem indicates MOBO Dying?

Bells

Honorable
Nov 17, 2013
Good day, before i have to go shopping for new parts i just wanted to be sure, so any help will be greatly appreciated.

I've had a recurring problem happen twice.

Pc would freeze, and then would not boot.

Both situation both times. Pc powers on, all lights, all fans, no beeps, no video. HDD indicator working, HDD making noise, everything.

Both times problem got solved after i unplugged the 12pin connector from the mobo and left it alone for a while then came back to it. These problems happened nearly a year apart from each other. Hardware is 7 years old.

All components are well kept. Ram has been reseated and rotated, CMOS has been cleared, GPU was reseated and removed, SSD was reseated, reconnected and removed, i can confirm RAM is good, and PSU is good too. Both good quality and well kept, recently i changed thermal paste just to be extra sure (first thermal paste change in 7 years). after all that... still no boot, no beeps. no display. Even removing the GPU and using the onboard HDMI port.

PC would boot through a PCIe SSD, i removed it and used my repair regular HDD to boot it, no change. Even switching Sata ports around.

Mobo is a MSI G54 z97 Gaming , CPU is an intel i5, no overclocking has been done ever. I dust the PC once every 6 months, thermals never been a problem.

My one suspicion is that the MOBO might be shorting out this time. But since the Hardware is quite old ( RAM is DDR3) replacing it would be costly, since i would probably have to get a new CPU and RAM with a new mobo even if everything else can remain...

So, i want to be sure i got it all right before having to put out a big purchase i didn't budget for.

Solution
Unfortunately mobos doesn't last very long, at least those for gaming/budget/consumer. My personal experience is that motherboards with normal use, last from 6-11 years, depending on a variety of factors of course.

A minor thing you could check is that the cmos battery is dead. It shouldn't make the system freeze, but one can never know (and those batteries are cheap too)
Unfortunately mobos doesn't last very long, at least those for gaming/budget/consumer. My personal experience is that motherboards with normal use, last from 6-11 years, depending on a variety of factors of course.

A minor thing you could check is that the cmos battery is dead. It shouldn't make the system freeze, but one can never know (and those batteries are cheap too)

Solution

Bells

Honorable
Nov 17, 2013

So, from a glance my suspicion seems right?

I mean, i use the PC for Video editing and Personal gaming, so it's fairly intense use. Im sure i would see other issues with RAM or the PSU if there were any to be found by now...

Sounds very reasonable to buy a new battery to test it out before i go out buying a new Mobo, CPU and RAM combo when i wasn't planning to... dont imagine it would be much of a solution, but cant possibly hurt anyways...

TRENDING THREADS