Help Selecting Router

G

Hi, thanks for reading this. I have a cable modem currently using NAT Based sharing (SyGate). I am going to be purchasing a router soon, but I was wondering if I could have some input from you all.
The MAIN feature I want is the ability to host gaming servers and play Net Games. That is the one thing this router must do for me. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with routers and if so, let me know which model you prefer and why, please keeping in mind I want to game with it.
Thank you.

jg38141

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Lynksys router is awsome. Fast inexpensive, and it has the option to change your mac address so that your provider can't ban your router address, which eventually all will try to do, so you can't have multiple computers behind a single address. I have one and it's great and I do games all the time. get the four port one.

"Are you saying that I can dodge bullets?"

G

Chances are that you have already acted on purchasing a router but I thought I might add my opinion. I purchased the Netgear RT314 and am very pleased with it. I have MSN/DSL 1500/128 and it does a very fine job. I also purchased one for my son and he runs Halflife on a cable modem and is also very happy with it. I also have the Netgear switch FS308. I know that it is overkill but I have 4 computers networked and I like experimenting with the router and switch to segment the bandwidth. During peak hours I downloaded Mandrake which is over 650meg and it downloaded at 159KB while my wife and I were surfing the net on the other computers. It took just a little over 50 minutes to download.
Best of luck.