Question Help Silencing Harsh Noise From New Build

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 21, 2019
Hello All,

I recently assembled a new computer with the goal of building a silent system. The system is built around an Intel i9-9900K in a Gigabyte Z390 Designare mobo. The system is very speedy and meets all of my performance expectations.

Unfortunately, there is a sound that emanates from near the processor / VRM area that can become very audile and harsh, depending on processor activity. I would describe the sound as varying from that of a CD drive laser moving back and forth, sometimes like hard drive activity, and sometimes like a tea kettle (captured in the video below). From what I understand from various internet sources, this is probably “coil whine”.

I first noticed the noise while scrolling through my Adobe Lightroom Classic library. Upon further investigation, I discovered that some minor amount of cyclical noise is always present in the VRM area, regardless of workload, but certain workloads produce much louder and harsher noises from the area. The loudest and most harsh sound that I've heard from the area reproducibly occurs when I run the benchmark in the Intel Extreme Tuning Utility (I’ve named this noise the tea kettle).

I've already eliminated the possibility that it's my GPU because it persists without it installed, and I only have solid state drives. The only physical moving components in my system are the fans, but those can’t be responsible because the noise is independent of fan speed.
I already exchanged the mobo for another identical one, but the brand-new replacement has the exact same issue.

I’ve concluded that the noise must be the result of one of the following:
  1. A poor design of the Gigabyte Z390 Designare
  2. Really bad luck with two separate motherboards.
  3. A noisy 9900K CPU (I don’t think this is even possible, is it?)
Here's a link to a video I recorded that demonstrates the noise while running the Intel Extreme Tuning Utility benchmark:
View: https://youtu.be/VsoNUI15Dm8

Please offer me suggestions for fixing this annoying issue, or if it’s simply a design issue, a replacement Z390 motherboard that doesn’t make any noise.

Thank you in advance.

Last edited:
I don't have an answer for you, but I found a thread from 2016 with a similar problem

Aug 21, 2019
I don't have an answer for you, but I found a thread from 2016 with a similar problem
Thank you for the suggestion, but unfortunately I haven't been able to find a solution yet.

Aug 21, 2019
you sure its not the fan?it must be something with a moving part have you tried disconnecting it?
Your video sounds more like a fan lightly touching something. While your computer is under load, try stopping each fan (including power supply, CPU, video card, case, etc) to see if the noise stops.
It’s definitely not a fan. The noise is completely independent of the speeds of every fan in my case.

Status
Not open for further replies.