[SOLVED] Help! Sudden PC failure; Think it's the motherboard, advice please...

ultimafishingfun

Prominent
Dec 21, 2017
Ok, here's the issue; shut down last night with a Win10 update, went to start the computer today and it doesn't even get to POST.

It starts the case, CPU, GPU, and PSU fans, the case LEDs come on, but before it even beeps it all shuts down and attempts to start again

Mobo is an Asus Z97-P. I have checked the following:

• Removed all other parts and the cmos battery to boot with just the mobo
  • checked seating of ram and cpu
  • looked for damaged wires, bloated transisters and lose screws; none visible
  • hoovered case to remove dust

So far, nothing. I have a second PSU i can use in case it's that, but does anyone have any ideas which might help? I really, REALLY dont want to have to replace a motherboard!

Solution
Update: took it into a small store nearby, and had it tested: its definitely the motherboard alas. Currently debating a full core upgrade, but does anyone know of a socket 1150 board that has equivalent specs to the asus z97-p? As it's not any easy board to find for reasonable prices!
If you're ever looking to just acquire an exact replacement of your board, it has a has a significant presence on Ebay

Check this link and go from there.
V v V

https://www.google.com/search?q=eba...pie=plalb-o&pli=0,0,_0EKpXffXFZX1-gSo_IOADA63

Just know that most older parts...

ultimafishingfun

Prominent
Dec 21, 2017
Please post your entire system specification including PSU make and model :)

Typing on phone and from whatever docs i can access, so forgive formatting...

Cpu; i5-4690 3.5ghz quad
Ram: 8gb hyper-x beast 2133 ddr3
Mobo; asus z97-p
Gpu; nvidoa 970gtx 4gb
Psu: corsair 550w vs series
Ssd: samsung 850 evo 500gb
Win10 with whatever last nights patch was

ultimafishingfun

Prominent
Dec 21, 2017
Update: took it into a small store nearby, and had it tested: its definitely the motherboard alas. Currently debating a full core upgrade, but does anyone know of a socket 1150 board that has equivalent specs to the asus z97-p? As it's not any easy board to find for reasonable prices!

SlugBugBuddy

Reputable
Jul 29, 2019
If you're ever looking to just acquire an exact replacement of your board, it has a has a significant presence on Ebay

Check this link and go from there.
V v V

https://www.google.com/search?q=eba...pie=plalb-o&pli=0,0,_0EKpXffXFZX1-gSo_IOADA63

Just know that most older parts are usually more expensive than current gen

I dont know your budget, but I would suggest this to be the perfect opportunity for you to get an AM4 Board for the AMD Ryzen budget CPUs. ;))

If you want I can comment a couple good suggestions that hang in at about the average price of your former 1151 Intel Asus z97-p

Solution