[SOLVED] Help with 2 Raid0 Crucial MX500 SSD

nikkolaus

Honorable
Jun 7, 2015
So... I have a crazy situation which has occurred... I had 2 Crucial MX500 SSD given to me, as spares. Never used before. I hook them up to my PC and decide that I really don't have much use for 2 separate SSD for anything, so I decided that I was going to hook them up to Raid0 and basically make the 2 separate 500GB drives appear as one giant 1TB SSD drive.. Well, wouldn't ya know it, somethin' went funky after a few months in, and now for some reason, both of the drives show HALF of their previous storage capacity. MX500 Drive 1 shows 232.88 GB and MX500 Drive 2 shows 232.87 GB. And as you may have guessed, I kind of really wanna get the info off of both these drives... I have tried several programs and nothing seems to pull any data, so I figure it's all on the segments that I cannot access, for whatever reason... I have confirmed that both of the drives are functional, as is. Any help would be appreciated. They have sat idle for quite some time... I just haven't gotten around to investigating this issue...

2ad06b68d4.png

Solution
Raid 0 is a losing proposition.
You will generally lose performance and if one device fails, you lose all.

I think what you want is a spanned disk setup.
Here is a copy of how to do it.
If you convert the disk to Dynamic Disks (go to Disk Management in your System Management, right-click the disks and choose "Convert to Dynamic Disk"), you can then create a new "Spanned" volume. Windows will then join all of your disks together into one logical volume.

USAFRet

Titan
Wipe and reformat the drives.
Rebuild the RAID if desired.
Recover the data from your backup.

500GB + 500GB + RAID 0 = 1TB available space
500GB + 500GB + no RAID 0 = 1TB available space

The ONLY thing the RAID gains you is on drive letter vs two.
You're seeing what one of the detriments is.

If you convert the disk to Dynamic Disks (go to Disk Management in your System Management, right-click the disks and choose "Convert to Dynamic Disk"), you can then create a new "Spanned" volume. Windows will then join all of your disks together into one logical volume.

Solution

nikkolaus

Honorable
Jun 7, 2015
Wipe and reformat the drives.
Rebuild the RAID if desired.
Recover the data from your backup.

500GB + 500GB + RAID 0 = 1TB available space
500GB + 500GB + no RAID 0 = 1TB available space

The ONLY thing the RAID gains you is on drive letter vs two.
You're seeing what one of the detriments is.
What backup? lol

nikkolaus

Honorable
Jun 7, 2015

I will try that next time.

nikkolaus

Honorable
Jun 7, 2015
Wow.. after actually looking at the drives, now I feel like a jackass... I guess since I had always had them in Raid0 they were in my mind 500GB... Label on drives says 250 GB each... User error.

USAFRet

Titan
Wow.. after actually looking at the drives, now I feel like a jackass... I guess since I had always had them in Raid0 they were in my mind 500GB... Label on drives says 250 GB each... User error.
Disk Management rarely lies.
It showed 250GB drives, they are 250GB drives.

So...

Does it actually still work as a RAID 0?
If so....this is the time to start your comprehensive backup routine.

Or, undo the RAID completely, and also start the comprehensive backup routine.

popatim

Titan
The image ending d83 has a pending sector (C5) as well as 3 Sata downshifts; these may be why the array failed.
Show us DMDE's partition list.
Also, try a full shutdown, hold down the shift key when you click shutdown. And then start back up and see if the motherbd re-establishes the array.

All important data needs to be backed up to an offline device at minimum. Offline = no cables running to it at all. power ethernet, phone... nada.
Better would be 2 offline devices. Better still would be with one of them being stored offsite.

The level of backups is determined by your need to keep you data safe and how willing you are to restore your system.
Some people don't mind reinstalling windows and all their stuff so they backup their entire drives as well as their data.
What & if you make backups is your choice and yours to bear when things go south.