Question Help with 5800x - Resizable BAR/Smart Access Memory - Upcoming Intel ARC a770/AMD 7000 series.

davedavidson1987

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2011
I have a ASrock Pro 4 X570, with a GTX 1080 and a Ryzen 5800x.

I'm looking into getting a new GPU, and I've read that too get the best performance possible I need to have the ability to enable "Resizable Bar/Smart Access Memory".

I've updated my BIOS to the latest version and the option is now there.

This is potentially where the stupid question is going to be asked. I enabled it with my current setup (the GTX 1080), just to test it even turns on, but now I'm getting 5 error beeps on computer start up and a second reboot before windows finally loads.

I realise the 1080 does not support Resizable Bar, but would that stop it from booting properly if I enabled it, or is my Motherboard pooped??

Thanks in advance for any help given.

Since it boots I imagine the board is fine it may just be your card. What gpu are you looking at? Even without resizable bar/smart access memory you should still get good performance. From what I’ve seen forza seems to love it but other games, some don’t give many gains, some a bit. So I’d say worry about it when you get a card. One catch though, if you are looking at the new Intel gpus, I think those require Intel 10th generation or higher, and maybe some ryzen 3000 series or higher with that feature enabled. Not sure then exactly how they’d play in a board like my b350(though I’m running a 5900x and smart access memory) or your x470. So you may consider skipping the Intel cards.

davedavidson1987

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2011
From what I've read I'm sure my X570 and 5800x is compatible.

What's baffling me is, even on 2 different BIOS versions if I enable Resizable Bar, it causes the weird 5 beep boot error, then reboot to windows.

I can't seem to find any information that suggests simply enabling it for a card that doesn't support it, should cause boot errors?

Isn't it just essentially removing a limit on the memory access speed?

I think it allows it to move larger blocks of data. I have it enabled on my 6700xt but I don’t have any experience on the nvidia side. But I’m guessing that the card you’ve got maybe has a hard time understanding what’s going on, hence the 5 beeps which I think indicates gpu issues if memory serves.