[SOLVED] Help with ARCTIC Case Fan Hub ?

palo112

Commendable
Sep 23, 2019
Hello i am new to fan hub stuff so i wanna ask if i need to connect hub to motherboard or if it's optional ?

I connected all my fans to hub. everyone of them is working but i cant regulate speeds. i heard that it is replicating speed of the 1st fan and i am wondering as one port on fan hub is in different color if that port isnt for connecting hub to motherboard channel fan connector. am i right??,if so i need to buy that cable because it wasnt in package. also hub is powered by PSU via SATA cable
its ARCTIC Case Fan Hub for maximum of 10 fans, I have 9.

Solution
That hub should have come with two cables. One connects to a wide SATA power output from the PSU, and into one end of the Hub. The other cable has an end with TWO holes that plugs into the OTHER END of the Hub; its other end has a 4-hole connector that goes to a mobo CHA_FAN header (your mobo has two of these). All your fans plug into hub ports. One fan MUST plug into the only hub output port with a special marking - it is the only fan whose speed will be reported to the mobo header. That fan really ought to be a 4-pin fans. The hub can control the speed of any 4-pin fan, but any 3-pin fan connected to the hub will always run full speed.

On your mobo manual, see p. 3-7. Go into BIOS Setup and get to that screen. Choose the header that...

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

Include PSU: make, model, wattage, age condition?

How was the need for 9 fans (and now potentially 10 fans) established? Where and how are those fans placed and configured?

Are there temperature problems within the build?

Do you have the motherboard's User Guide/Manual? That is the starting point for determining the necessary connections.

However, you must also refer to the applicable User Guide/Manuals for all other installed components.

Most documentation will probably refer you back to the manufacturer's website for updates and changes. Do that as well.

palo112

Commendable
Sep 23, 2019

How was the need for 9 fans (and now potentially 10 fans) established? Where and how are those fans placed and configured?

Do you have the motherboard's User Guide/Manual? That is the starting point for determining the necessary connections.

However, you must also refer to the applicable User Guide/Manuals for all other installed components.

Most documentation will probably refer you back to the manufacturer's website for updates and changes. Do that as well.
thanks but i just want to know if there is a chance i can manage speed of my fans when i have them connected in Arctic fan hub..why 9 was needed...it wasnt i just bought new case and it had 9 places for 120mm fans so i bought some none RGB ones from arctic again as my fan hub.
3x front/on side
3x on bottom
3x on top

i put bottom and front/side fans as intake and other 3 on top as exhaust with potential of hot air coming out from back where i cant put fan.

palo112

Commendable
Sep 23, 2019

However, you must also refer to the applicable Usr Guide/Manuals for all other installed components.

ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-H GAMING

EVGA SuperNOVA 850 G+

Ralston18

Titan
CPU?
GPU?
Drive(s)?
RAM?
Peripherals?
Case?

What temperatures do you see?

You may not be able to control the fan speeds. Not because they are uncontrollable but because there is heat building up someplace and the fan(s) stay at max trying to cool.

And a 10th fan could change things. For better or for worse....

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Any mobo fan header can deal with the speed signal sent back to it from only ONE fan. So when you use a Splitter or a Hub, it will send to the host header the speed of only ONE of its fans and ignore all the rest. On your Hub, the single output port that is marked specially is the ONLY one that will send its speed signal to the header. But that does NOT make it the fan in control of others.

All fan speed control is done by the header via the signals it sends out. When you use a Hub, ALL of its fans gets exactly the same signals. If they are all the same fan model, they all will do exactly the same thing.

There are two widely-used fan designs. The older design uses a 3-pin connector and its speed is controlled by supplying to it a voltage on Pin #2 that can vary from 12 VDC (full speed) down to about 5 VDC (minimum speed without stalling). The newer design is controlled differently and uses 4 pins. Its power supply from Pin #2 is always the full 12 VDC. It also receives from the new Pin #4 the PWM signal, and it has a special chip in the motor to use that signal to modify the flow of current from the 12 VDC supply line though the windings to change fan speed. Because the METHOD of controlling motor speed is different between these two, it is best not to mix them in one circuit.

If you connect a 3-pin fan to a 3-pin header (or even to a 4-pin header set to use the older Voltage Control Mode), its speed can be controlled with that method. Similarly, if you connect a 4-pin fan to a header using the new PWM Mode, its speed will be controlled. But if you plug a 3-pin fan into a header using the new PWM Mode, that fan will always run full speed. It receives from Pin #2 the constant 12 VDC supply, and it has no way to use the PWM signal from Pin #4 to change that.

The fan Hub you have from Arctic is designed the same as almost all others: it gets the 12 VDC power its fans need from the PSU and sends that out to them all, and it gets the PWM control signal from the mobo header and sends that pout to all its fans. Thus it provides output ports for ALL of its fans that always act as 4-pin headers using the new PWM Mode. IF you plug any 3-pin fan into its ports, that fan can only run at full speed all the time (as above). Note that the mobo header in use here MUST be configured to use the new PWM Mode so that the Hub can send that out to its fans.

So, look at those fans you bought - you have not told us which model. IF the connectors on the ends of their cables has THREE holes, then you cannot control their speeds using that Hub. In that case you would need to change all the fans to 4-pin models, or perhaps to get a different Hub - there are a very few that can deal with that situation. If you need details, post back here.

Reactions: palo112

alexbirdie

Respectable
I connected all my fans to hub. everyone of them is working but i cant regulate speeds. i heard that it is replicating speed of the 1st fan and i am wondering as one port on fan hub is in different color if that port isnt for connecting hub to motherboard channel fan connector. am i right??,if so i need to buy that cable because it wasnt in package. also hub is powered by PSU via SATA cable

I checked on arctic homepage. looks like, as if hub should be connected to a PWM-case-fan-header to. cable should be inside package, but if missing, then you should order it .

I do have a corsair-case with build-in fan-hub. Same as your hub, that means sata-power-connection for power and one pwm-fan-cable connected to motherboard for speed-control by bios-fan-curves. Seems very similar to your arctic-hub.

Look at: https://support.arctic.de/index.php?p=case-fan-hub&lang=de

palo112

Commendable
Sep 23, 2019
I checked on arctic homepage. looks like, as if hub should be connected to a PWM-case-fan-header to. cable should be inside package, but if missing, then you should order it .

I do have a corsair-case with build-in fan-hub. Same as your hub, that means sata-power-connection for power and one pwm-fan-cable connected to motherboard for speed-control by bios-fan-curves. Seems very similar to your arctic-hub.

thanks i did have some cable but i couldnt figure it out what is the meaning of that cable because i am not expert and one side of that cable has 2 pins and 2nd 4. which side to connect where. if i am thinking i can only think of connecting 2 pin connector to hub and 4 pin to motherboard fan connector....also u mean standard case fan connecter on motherboard or there is some special power fan connector for fan hubs or whatever??? first time using fan hub :D

palo112

Commendable
Sep 23, 2019

if there is some special connector i am not sure my mobo has it
i have Asus ROG STRIX Z390-H GAMING

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
That hub should have come with two cables. One connects to a wide SATA power output from the PSU, and into one end of the Hub. The other cable has an end with TWO holes that plugs into the OTHER END of the Hub; its other end has a 4-hole connector that goes to a mobo CHA_FAN header (your mobo has two of these). All your fans plug into hub ports. One fan MUST plug into the only hub output port with a special marking - it is the only fan whose speed will be reported to the mobo header. That fan really ought to be a 4-pin fans. The hub can control the speed of any 4-pin fan, but any 3-pin fan connected to the hub will always run full speed.

On your mobo manual, see p. 3-7. Go into BIOS Setup and get to that screen. Choose the header that the Hub is plugged into. At the top right, make sure the PWM option is chosen, not the DC. Use Esc to get to Main Menu, then F10 to get to the Exit Menu and choose to SAVE and EXIT.

Solution

palo112

Commendable
Sep 23, 2019

On your mobo manual, see p. 3-7. Go into BIOS Setup and get to that screen. Choose the header that the Hub is plugged into. At the top right, make sure the PWM option is chosen, not the DC. Use Esc to get to Main Menu, then F10 to get to the Exit Menu and choose to SAVE and EXIT.
thanks i am gonna try to make it work

palo112

Commendable
Sep 23, 2019

hahahhahah thanks man. Funny enough when i was building my system in this new case it was really late and i somehow couldnt find that port on fan hab for that 2-hole connector...hahhahahha. now when u told me to do so i was like i checked it there is nothing there...i checked it again and hallelujah there actually is..i was laughing so haaard

But i have one more question. I can control fan speeds in bios menu but is it fixed number or fans will automaticly raise their speeds at higher temperature as this graph is showing. i set my fans to turbo mode...not sure what it does.

View: https://imgur.com/a/uClZ9rI

does it mean fans will speed up if temperatures get to 30 degrees ....

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
You are in the right place, but wrong setting. What those are:

Standard = automatic fan speed control, will vary speeds according to actual tmperature measured by a sensor on the mobo. "Fan Curve" of what speed to run for what measured temp is pre-set as shown in the graph

Silent = fixed low speed for quiet, but cannot speed up when your system is getting hot

Turbo = fixed higher speed gives better cooling, but cannot go slow if not needed

Full Speed = what it says, always full speed

Manual = another version of automatic, but allows you to change the "fan curve" in the graph chart above to what you choose

I suggest using Standard for now, until you have enough experience with your system to decide whether you really need to create a custom fan curve under the Manual option.

IF you use more than one fan header, remember that these settings are made individually for EACH header.

palo112

Commendable
Sep 23, 2019
You are in the right place, but wrong setting. What those are:

Standard = automatic fan speed control, will vary speeds according to actual tmperature measured by a sensor on the mobo. "Fan Curve" of what speed to run for what measured temp is pre-set as shown in the graph

Silent = fixed low speed for quiet, but cannot speed up when your system is getting hot

Turbo = fixed higher speed gives better cooling, but cannot go slow if not needed

Full Speed = what it says, always full speed

Manual = another version of automatic, but allows you to change the "fan curve" in the graph chart above to what you choose

I suggest using Standard for now, until you have enough experience with your system to decide whether you really need to create a custom fan curve under the Manual option.

IF you use more than one fan header, remember that these settings are made individually for EACH header.
thanks then i set it on standard. i think it will be OK.
thanks again

Apr 26, 2016
I bought the Arctic Case Fan Hub 2 days ago and have the same problem. The fans connected to the fan hub spin at maximum speed and producing a loud buzzing bees as my desktop case is a bee hive. I become stressed after hearing the bee hive sound for hours. At first, I thought my PWM fan hub was broken because I cannot control the fan speed manually when they are connected to the hub, but can control the fan speed manually when they are connected to the motherboard header. I felt demotivated and wanted to complain to the seller to request for a warranty claim. Then I found this thread for the problem on google. Co-incidentally I am also using an MSI motherboard. I follow the instructions given by you guys above to change the motherboard fan header setting from DC to PWM in the BIOS and my problem is finally solved. Thank you very much, you guys.