Question Help with buying a new laptop ?

Aug 8, 2022
Newbie here so my cousin wants to get a new laptop for her work and asked me for recommendations but since i have no clue i thought i'd come here and ask.
1. What is your budget?
About 1500 euros

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
The laptop shouldnt weigh more than 1.5 kgs and the screen should be about 15.6 inches.

3. What screen resolution do you want?
She didnt specify i think its obvious 1080p or above.

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
Im not sure what this question means she will be using the laptop at home instead of a computer but she also wants it to be light-weight and take it with her wherever she goes.

5. How much battery life do you need?
Didnt specify id imagine a large battery life since she will be working many hours at a time.

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
She didnt mention playing games but i know she did play some games on her old one. She doesnt want to play anything too crazy like rdr2 so i think for the price shes looking for it'll easily handle most of the games she plays.

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)
As i said this laptop will be mainly for her work she said it needs to run perfectly the programs autocad and gis.

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?
Didnt specify

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?
She said she wants this laptop to last 7+ years

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
I dont think it matters she didnt say

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
She said she doesnt want lenovo or any chinese brands for that price because she isnt happy with their customer service.
13. What country do you live in?
Greece
14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.
Ok she also had a weird request she wants a screen that you can easily see in the sun i told her no such thing exist but maybe im wrong.
She also wants the screen to have "nice colours" so that she can see easily....no clue what she means tbh.
Alright thats pretty much it please post some recommendations below and ill take a look. Thanks!

If you want portability I would highly recommend considering 14" and not 15.6". You will get a laptop that weighs no more than 1.5Kg and has longer battery life. She could always pair it with a larger external display for use at a desk.

For screens you would want one with good coverage of the sRGB colour space and good contrast. However you can expect all laptops in that price range to come with a good quality IPS display. To see the display in the sun she will need a matte display (most are) and a bright screen. I would avoid a display with PWM brightness control unless it is at an extremely high frequency if this is being used as a work laptop.

I was actually going to recommend Lenovo but I see you don't want them.

Some I would recommend considering are:
HP Envy 14 (currently on 11th gen Intel will likely be refreshed to 12th gen soon, I would wait for that.) Has Nvidia GPU option.

Dell Inspiron 14 - Relatively affordable, I would equip with i7, 16GB and Iris XE Graphics option.
https://www.dell.com/en-uk/shop/laptops/inspiron-14-laptop/spd/inspiron-14-5420-laptop/cn54614sc

Dell Inspiron 14 Plus - Has very powerful H series CPU's, has an option to add an Nvidia 3050 making it suitable for some casual gaming.
https://www.dell.com/en-uk/shop/laptops/new-inspiron-14-plus/spd/inspiron-14-7420-laptop/cn74306sc

Dell's XPS 13 & 15 - May push the budget but these are Dell's flagship machines. The XPS 15 is about as compact as you will get for a 15" laptop and has powerful hardware configurations.

I would highly recommend https://www.notebookcheck.net/ for laptop reviews. They delve into many of the technical details that are not covered by other review sites.

Reactions: Liverpool19