Question Help with choosing a monitor

ronx12

Commendable
Feb 24, 2018
I'm looking for a monitor but confused if I should get a monitor with IPS or TN/VA panel, I understand that IPS considered better for graphics and designers, etc.. However VA/TN are often better for gaming.
My main uses-
I don't play competitive games like cs:go or fps games, I'm more inclined to play games like the witcher 3.
Does refresh rates is really that important for games like the witcher 3? Is that really noticeable?
I need a monitor for casual gaming, perhaps movies and I would love to have the best colors possible but without compromising noticeable performance for games.

What would be better for my uses: Dell UltraSharp U2719D or Dell S2716DG?
Would U2719D suffice for games like the witcher 3? or perhaps I should aim for 144hz monitor but with VA/TN panel? 144hz/greater refresh rates vs 60hz, which should I choose in my case?
Thanks in advance ")

ronx12

Commendable
Feb 24, 2018
My Specs-
NZXT H700i
Gigabyte Z370 AORUS Gaming 7
Asus ROG Strix GeForce GTX 1080
Intel i7 8700K
G.Skill Trident Z RGB 2x8GB DDR4 2400Mhz CL15 Kit
Corsair 850W 80+ Gold RM850i
Corsair MP500 CSSD-F240GBMP500 240GB SSD M.2 2280 Retail
Western Digital Black WD2003FZEX 2TB
NZXT Kraken X62
Aer RGB(120mm x2) & HUE+

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador
A good IPS, VA, or TN panel can be great for gaming nowadays. IPS panels use to have more input lag and slower response times than TN panels but nowadays with a good high refresh rate IPS panel the gap has closed quite a bit. I use an ASUS PG279Q IPS monitor for gaming and love it.

VA panels tend to have better contrast than TN or IPS thus deeper blacks. TN panels can look pretty good but have poor viewing angles versus VA and IPS, so if you move your head around while looking at a TN monitor you may notice some color shift.

I would absolutely go with a high refresh rate panel if you can swing it and your system is powerful enough to make use of it. I could never go back to 60hz after experiencing 144hz. Witcher 3 runs very well over 60fps if your system is powerful enough to run it over 60fps. To me say 80fps+ feels significantly smoother than 60fps at 60hz in witcher 3 and many other games.

No competitive gaming=say no to TN
I would go with VA because they suffer less from the glow and bleed. It's a good compromise between colors of IPS and response time of TN.

It's impossible to produce an IPS panel without glow. So IPS monitors only differ in the amount of glow :-(
ips-glow-backlight-bleed.jpg

I would get a 75HZ+ VA panel. Say NO both to a 60HZ Dell and a TN one.

MSI Optix MAG271CQR, Samsung S27R750QEI, Samsung Curved C27H711Q,
Samsung Curved LC27JG50Q

Does refresh rates is really that important for games like the witcher 3? NO.

I need a monitor for casual gaming, perhaps movies and I would love to have the best colors possible but without compromising noticeable performance for games. That's the definition of VA

144hz/greater refresh rates vs 60hz Pointless in non-competitive gaming and/or when you can't run your game at 100+ FPS.

For your rig you need to get a 144hz panel. It is definitely worth it and your rig can take advantage of it. As for the panel type, unless you have them sitting side by side, you wont tell much of a difference. For your use case, the best you can afford. TN is the cheapest, VA in the middle, and IPS on the higher end.

ronx12

Commendable
Feb 24, 2018
No competitive gaming=say no to TN
I would go with VA because they suffer less from the glow and bleed. It's a good compromise between colors of IPS and response time of TN.

It's impossible to produce an IPS panel without glow. So IPS monitors only differ in the amount of glow :-(
ips-glow-backlight-bleed.jpg

I would get a 75HZ+ VA panel. Say NO both to a 60HZ Dell and a TN one.

Does refresh rates is really that important for games like the witcher 3? NO.

I need a monitor for casual gaming, perhaps movies and I would love to have the best colors possible but without compromising noticeable performance for games. That's the definition of VA

144hz/greater refresh rates vs 60hz Pointless in non-competitive gaming and/or when you can't run your game at 100+ FPS.
So if VA is preferable for me then what about Samsung C27JG50QQM?
This monitor is curved which I'm not sure about, is it comfortable to most people?
Budget?

With a game such as the Witcher 3 I really wouldn't bother going above 75-100hz and would prefer a IPS or VA panel for those types of games.
My budget is approximately 500 USD but prices are differ in my country and not all the monitors are available, plus I prefer to buy from a local store.

So if VA is preferable for me then what about Samsung C27JG50QQM?
This monitor is curved which I'm not sure about, is it comfortable to most people?

My budget is approximately 500 USD but prices are differ in my country and not all the monitors are available, plus I prefer to buy from a local store.
it's comfortable, more so when 30" and bigger. Unless you also watch movies on this screen from a couch far away. Find something with freesync. Do you have a link for a local store website?

ronx12

Commendable
Feb 24, 2018
it's comfortable, more so when 30" and bigger. Unless you also watch movies on this screen from a couch far away. Find something with freesync. Do you have a link for a local store website?
Yep, here's a link:
https://ksp.co.il/?select=.1024..23...maxprice=0&intersect=&rintersect=&store_real=
I'm still confused about which monitor to buy because of so many problems such as ips bleed or low quality image of tn or va compared to ips, so I'm really confused.
If someone could recommend me a monitor from the local store in the link above I would be really grateful.

Yep, here's a link:
https://ksp.co.il/?select=.1024..23...maxprice=0&intersect=&rintersect=&store_real=
I'm still confused about which monitor to buy because of so many problems such as ips bleed or low quality image of tn or va compared to ips, so I'm really confused.
If someone could recommend me a monitor from the local store in the link above I would be really grateful.
my preference - https://ksp.co.il/?uin=40158&select=.1024..230..199..1948..200..1468..2038..1990..2241.