Question Help with choosing between two laptops (Intel vs AMD basically)

Maevius

Honorable
Jan 5, 2014
Hello! I need a new laptop for college work and some really light gaming (Skyrim, Diablo 3). For the past 2 days I have been researching the market in my country and basically, with my budget, it boils down to two HP laptops.

They are both nearly identical in terms of specs (8GB 2133 MHz RAM Intel/2400MHz AMD, 256GB SSD, 1080p FHD, same number of ports etc.) The main differences are:

1. First HP comes with Intel i5-7200U processor and integrated HD 620 graphics. Quality full plastic build. Battery lasts a bit more - but that isn't so important to me.
  2. Second comes with AMD Ryzen 5 2500U processor and integrated Vega 8 graphics. Mix plastic/metal build.

I've been reading that the AMD Ryzen 5 outpreforms i5-7200U when it comes to games due to better graphics, however I have also found that a lot of people are having problems with drivers on their AMD machines. Also I couldn't find temperature values and cTDP of Ryzen 5 processor during full load.

Basically, I value stability over time more than 15-20+ fps more in games that I won't be really playing that much. Would really like for any of these two machines to last 3-4 years.

Prices for both are 600 euros. I would have provided links but the models are region specific.

I'm interested in your thoughts and opinions, especially if you own laptops with similar specs!

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
I own an HP Envy X360 with the Ryzen 5 2500u, 16gb 2400mhz, 256gb SSD. If thats the model you are talking about it is an EXCELLENT laptop.

There were driver issues where basically the system was locked to an old driver for video put out by HP and wouldn't accept new versions of Adrenalin, AMD is fixing this and will shortly be putting out drivers that work for all systems. Meanwhile there is a workaround available here:

https://community.amd.com/thread/224760?messageTarget=all&start=50&mode=comments
(Scroll to bottom, message from antjuandecarlos)

If the model you are getting is not the Envy X360 I am not sure I can recommend it. HP does have a lower version that is the same configuration but the CPU is power limited and its noticeably slower. Some workarounds have been made, but its still not as fast as the envy out of the box.

Seaweed Monster

Honorable
Jun 7, 2014
The Ryzen 5 2500u is a good chip on paper and does beat the i5 7200u undoubtedly in games and multitasking workloads, but as you mentioned, AMD's drivers aren't all that brilliant at the moment, hopefully, they're fixed soon.

One thing I have read about the Ryzen 5 2500u is the differences in CPU configurations across different manufacturers. Basically, AMD has made their chips incredibly customisable in terms of CPU's TDP limit, which allows manufacturers to limit the CPU's overall power based on the laptops thermal design. Overall, this means the performance can vary across different laptops with the same CPU. I have heard Huawei's Matebook D is one of the better performing laptops that use the Ryzen chip.

To answer your question, it depends on the Ryzen laptop. Could you provide links for the two laptops or at least their Name/model, so we could give you more information?

Maevius

Honorable
Jan 5, 2014
I own an HP Envy X360 with the Ryzen 5 2500u, 16gb 2400mhz, 256gb SSD. If thats the model you are talking about it is an EXCELLENT laptop.

There were driver issues where basically the system was locked to an old driver for video put out by HP and wouldn't accept new versions of Adrenalin, AMD is fixing this and will shortly be putting out drivers that work for all systems. Meanwhile there is a workaround available here:

https://community.amd.com/thread/224760?messageTarget=all&start=50&mode=comments
(Scroll to bottom, message from antjuandecarlos)

If the model you are getting is not the Envy X360 I am not sure I can recommend it. HP does have a lower version that is the same configuration but the CPU is power limited and its noticeably slower. Some workarounds have been made, but its still not as fast as the envy out of the box.

It's not HP Envy x360. This is the model:
http://h20195.www2.hp.com/v2/GetDoc... sheet&doclang=EN_GB&searchquery=&cc=rs&lc=sr

Maevius

Honorable
Jan 5, 2014
The Ryzen 5 2500u is a good chip on paper and does beat the i5 7200u undoubtedly in games and multitasking workloads, but as you mentioned, AMD's drivers aren't all that brilliant at the moment, hopefully, they're fixed soon.

One thing I have read about the Ryzen 5 2500u is the differences in CPU configurations across different manufacturers. Basically, AMD has made their chips incredibly customisable in terms of CPU's TDP limit, which allows manufacturers to limit the CPU's overall power based on the laptops thermal design. Overall, this means the performance can vary across different laptops with the same CPU. I have heard Huawei's Matebook D is one of the better performing laptops that use the Ryzen chip.

To answer your question, it depends on the Ryzen laptop. Could you provide links for the two laptops or at least their Name/model, so we could give you more information?

AMD model
http://h20195.www2.hp.com/v2/GetDocument.aspx?docname=c06080258&doctype=data sheet&doclang=EN_GB&searchquery=&cc=rs&lc=sr

Intel model
http://h20195.www2.hp.com/v2/GetDocument.aspx?docname=4AA7-0008EEE&doctype=data sheet&doclang=EN_GB&searchquery=&cc=rs&lc=sr

Thanks for your input! Edit: Had two links of the same model.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

Ok unfortunately that CPU is set to low TDP. While its the same configuration, performance is somewhat handicapped. It will still have better graphic capabilities than the Intel one, but TBH its more of a business machine and doesn't game as well as the X360. There is a way to use Ryzen Master to work around this, but at the expense of battery life, and of course no one has tested it for long term durability.

Maevius

Honorable
Jan 5, 2014
Ok unfortunately that CPU is set to low TDP. While its the same configuration, performance is somewhat handicapped. It will still have better graphic capabilities than the Intel one, but TBH its more of a business machine and doesn't game as well as the X360. There is a way to use Ryzen Master to work around this, but at the expense of battery life, and of course no one has tested it for long term durability.

I already ordered it yesterday evening. It's okay, I really won't game as much on it. Diablo 3 and Skyrim above 30 stable fps will satisfy - if not oh well, i'm getting it primarly for college stuff!

Thanks a lot for that link, although I have also read that Windows update fixed many crash issues that were invoked by old drivers.