Question Help with choosing CPU - - - Intel I7 13700k vs. AMD 7 7800X3D ?

Oct 19, 2023
Hello all, I am building my first gaming PC and would like advice on a choice of CPU. I’ve done some research on the differences between Intel i7-13700k and AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D with gaming vs. productivity, but I am still unsure on which I should choose. I will be doing plenty of gaming; however, I am also a student of English and am planning on writing plenty of stories and D&D campaigns with various softwares. As this will be mostly with writing software, I don’t think it is going to be as intensive as image or video processing (though I may process a few images for mapping and concept), so AMD may work fine, especially since their processors are usually more energy efficient. Yet, maybe I should choose Intel as then processing writing won’t be an issue.
Here is what I plan to do with this PC:
  • 1440p Gaming (I am planning on getting a RX 7800XT)
  • Word Processors such as Word or Docs (won’t be as intensive)
  • Worldbuilding Software - map creation and imagery, world documentation (histories, races, etc.) (will have multiple programs running at same time for reference while writing)
  • Editing Software
Any help from people more knowledgeable than I is much appreciated!

Reactions: Order 66
Oct 23, 2023
Howdy there, Draco.:)

As some have said above, the Ryzen 7800X3D is a overachiever in terms of performance and being able to stay cool.

As an intel person my whole life, I switched to AMD when they launched Ryzen.
But what I can tell you is, as a fellow video editor, the choice has to be yours.
The Ryzen 7800X3D has 3D cores, with extra cache making it have fast load times for running timelines.
And the intel 13700k has 16 cores, and is good in workstations and timelines.

So, my rule of thumb is generally to do some digging,
Find out which is more suitable for your needs.

Hopefully, this provides you some insight.

Have a blessed day.

Last edited: