[SOLVED] Help with cloning using Macrium Reflect 7

mycdnprince

Commendable
Mar 5, 2021
Using Macrium's program and I'm stuck. I have two identical hard drives and want to clone disk 1 (source) to disk 2 (target) but don't know if I have to enlarge or reduce any partitions. Can anyone help here?

Capture.PNG

Solution
So:

The 557MB, and the 500MB are the two you wish to do something with?

Honestly, I'd just leave them.
500MB is tiny, in the context of a 1TB drive.
That is 0.1% of the size of the C or F partition.

Yeah, it looks funny. But you're not really gaining any space.

But...you can delete the 557MB, and then Extend the C partition into that space. Going from 474.15GB to 474.65GB.
The 500GB on the far right I would absolutely leave alone. I'm not sure you can extend that Recovery E into that space, without affecting that partition.

USAFRet

Titan
The one thing you MUST do is:
At the end of the clone process, power OFF, disconnect the old drive. Power UP with only the new drive connected.

This is not optional.

-----------------------------
Specific steps for a successful clone operation:
Verify the actual used space on the current drive is significantly below the size of the new SSD
Download and install Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration, if a Samsung SSD)
If you are cloning from a SATA drive to PCIe/NVMe, install the relevant driver for this new NVMe/PCIe drive.
Power off
Disconnect ALL drives except the current C and the new SSD
Power up
Run the Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration)
Select ALL the partitions on the existing C drive

If you are going from a smaller drive to a larger, by default, the target partition size will be the same as the Source. You probably don't want that
You can manipulate the size of the partitions on the target (larger)drive
Click on "Cloned Partition Properties", and you can specifiy the resulting partition size, to even include the whole thing

Click the 'Clone' button
Wait until it is done
When it finishes, power off
Disconnect ALL drives except for the new SSD
This is to allow the system to try to boot from ONLY the SSD
Swap the SATA cables around so that the new drive is connected to the same SATA port as the old drive
Power up, and verify the BIOS boot order
If good, continue the power up

It should boot from the new drive, just like the old drive.
Maybe reboot a time or two, just to make sure.

If it works, and it should, all is good.

Later, reconnect the old drive and wipe all partitions on it.
This will probably require the commandline diskpart function, and the clean command.

Ask questions if anything is unclear.

Ok great. I'm a novice in this area so I appreciate your help. Thank you.
You're welcome.....and for most people....there is generally no need to change them.
Here is some advice....if you are cloning a drive with an operating system on it....to another drive.
When you go to boot the destination drive....DO NOT have the source drive connected.
Power down and remove the source drive before you power up with the destination drive....or you could have problems.

mycdnprince

Commendable
Mar 5, 2021
I have two identical computers with, of course, identical hard drives. I want both computers to be the same, therefore I'm wanting to clone one, remove the target hard drive and reinstall in the second computer.

mycdnprince

Commendable
Mar 5, 2021
You're welcome.....and for most people....there is generally no need to change them.
Here is some advice....if you are cloning a drive with an operating system on it....to another drive.
When you go to boot the destination drive....DO NOT have the source drive connected.
Power down and remove the source drive before you power up with the destination drive....or you could have problems.
I gotcha. The same applies in reverse I imagine? That is, when done cloning I will be removing the target drive and reinstalling it in my other computer where I will then power up.

mycdnprince

Commendable
Mar 5, 2021
Jay, I'm back with another question, if you are still there or are able to get this. My question is partition 4 and 7 (see top of this thread) apparently have content within their respective partitions but I am unable to determine what that content is? I'd like to delete both partitions are merge them with either partition #3 or #5. Can this be done, or better not? Thanks.

USAFRet

Titan
Jay, I'm back with another question, if you are still there or are able to get this. My question is partition 4 and 7 (see top of this thread) apparently have content within their respective partitions but I am unable to determine what that content is? I'd like to delete both partitions are merge them with either partition #3 or #5. Can this be done, or better not? Thanks.
I'm not seeing an image of this.