Question Help with connecting all RGB devices to motherboard

Nov 2, 2019
Hello,

I'm just finishing the planning for a RGB build and not quite sure how to connect all the RGB devices to the motherboards RGB headers. The RGB devices are outlined below:

MOBO - GIGABYTE Z380 Aorus Master - supports RGB Fusion, 5V D-RGB (3-pin) and 12V RGB (4-pin)
CASE - COOLER MASTER COSMOS C700M - comes with a 12V RGB Controller (RGB Fusion supported)
GPU - EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER FTW3 HYDRO COPPER GAMING (A-RGB and RGB Fusion supported)
PUMP - EK-XRES 140 Revo D5 RGB PWM (12V RGB 4-pin supported)
MONOBLOCK - EK-Momentum Aorus Z390 Master D-RGB - Plexi (A/D-RGB and RGB Fusion supported)
FANS - 7x Pure 14 ARGB Sync Radiator Fan TT Premium Edition (A-RGB 5V and RGB Fusion supported), bridge cable is provided

Don't completely understand how to hook these up together to be controlled by RGB Fusion. I suppose that I need some kind of A-RGB hub such as the XSPC 8 Way, 3Pin, 5V, Addressable RGB Splitter Hub - SATA Powered and something similar for the 12V RGB 4-pin.

Any advice is appreciated!

I can't give you all the details, but let me point out two issues you need to check into.

1. Any mobo or controller for plain RGB or ARGB has a limit of how many devices you can connect to it. This may be expressed as a max output current, in which case you need the current consumption max specs for each lighting device. Or they may specify a max number of light STRIPS you can plug into one source, and this kind of assumes that each strip has a "standard" max current use. With so many lighting devices (some as fan frames, some as lights in other items, etc.) you will need to take these limits into account.

By the way, even this can get confusing trying to find and read the specs. An RGB Fan (or ARGB Fan) has TWO separate devices in one unit - a fan motor, and lights. Each has its OWN separate cable for power and control. And so, there are separate specs for the voltage and max current of each device in that unit, and sometimes they don't provide those specs for both devices!

2. You have a mix of both common types of RGB lighting devices - plain and ADDR RGB. While your mobo has at least one header of each of those types, what I do not know is whether the RGB Fusion software tool that comes with the mobo can actually manage BOTH types of lighting output header st the same time. Or, does it only manage one type OR the other? Ask Tech Support at Gigabyte on this.

Nov 2, 2019
Hi Paperdoc! Thanks for the reply.
Assuming that my Mobo does not support all the devices current wise, will A-RGB hub solve my problem?

Yes. An RGB Hub should work exactly similar to a fan Hub. That is, for the LIGHTING units only, the Hub gets the control signals from the mobo header, but also gets POWER for all the lights directly from the PSU, so the load limit of the mobo header is not involved. Be VERY sure to get a Hub for the correct type of lights. Because you have BOTH types of RGB systems there, you MAY need to get two different Hubs. Or, maybe you need a Hub for lots of lights of only one type, and the other can be done solely with the relevant mobo header.

Reactions: vMax

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS