Help with Cooler Master 212+ Install

tjdavis

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2011
Case: Antec Three Hundred Illusion Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz
Motherboard: MSI P67A-GD65 (B3) LGA 1155 Intel P67
RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws X series DDR3 1333 8gb (2x4gb)
Graphics Card: MSI GTX 560 Twin Frozr II 1 GB
Power Supply: CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 750W ATX12V v2.31
Heat Sink: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus
Hard Drive: Samsung F3 1TB
Optical Drive: Lite-On LightScribe 24X SATA DVD+/-RW Dual Layer Drive IHAS424-98 - Retail (Black)

That's my setup and as you can guess, this is the first time I built a computer. Right now the stock cooler is in there and I was looking to OC to at least 4.0 GHz and I want to make sure I don't screw anything up when putting my new heat sink on. I saw the step-by-step thread for it on this forum already so I'll definitely reference that but I had a couple of questions. First, is it definitely necessary to take the MoBo out of the case when installing this heatsink? I figured it was but wanted to make sure before I started disconnecting everything. Then, which way should the fan be facing? I was trying to make it face the RAM but the fan itself would basically be sitting on top of my first stick if I did that so I didn't know what I should do about that. My next question was what was the best way to remove the old thermal paste? After I get those answered, I would feel much more comfortable in starting but there is always a good chance I'll need additional help. Thanks in advance for any replies!

tjdavis

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2011
Also, just to make sure I have this right, it should be set up like this correct:

Back of case (exhaust fan) -> Metal Heat Sink -> Plastic Fan -> RAM

This is how I initially was going to put it in and that is what is causing me a problem with it sitting on top of the first RAM stick.

jprahman

Distinguished
May 17, 2010
Yes, you have the heatsink properly oriented, although that isn't the only possible arrangement. The fan on the front blows air from the front through to to back, so as to encourage front to back airflow. People with top mounted case fans sometimes install their heatsinks at a 90 degree angle, so that the fan is blowing up, but I would just advise sticking with the front to back arrangement.

The best way to remove thermal paste is to use pure isopropyl alcohol and a coffee filter. The point of using a coffee filter is to prevent any lint from contaminating the surface of the CPU.

Installing the heatsink with the motherboard still in the case should work, just depends on the case as to how easy it is to access the back of the motherboard to mount the backing plate.

tjdavis

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2011
Alright so that's how I plan on doing it (fan facing the RAM) but I still have the problem with it basically sitting on the first stick of RAM. Im fairly certain I can't move them to different slots since they need to be in the DDIM 1 and 3 slots (blue ones im assuming) Any suggestions?

tjdavis

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2011
Alright one last problem im having is with the back plate behind the motherboard. I got three of the four fasteners on with no problem but I cannot get a nut on the last one (might have come warped. Do I need all four on or will three be fine as long as its secure?

tjdavis

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2011
Nevermind got it.

I think my last question is fairly stupid but I don't want to screw this up. I have my heat sink and the retention plate but I can't figure out if the retention plate basically just sits in the single hole on the heat sink and then I screw the 4 corners into the back plate or does the retention plate fasten to the cooler somehow before attaching it to the motherboard?

1- If you case doesn't have access to the back side of the mobo to remove the stock cooler, then yes, you need take off the mobo from case.
2- RAM>FAN>cooler>exhaust fan case
3- 2x4GB, that gives you the option to move the RAM to next RAM slots
4- To remove the old TIM you can use isoprohyl alcohol or normal alcohol with plus toilet paper or coffee filter

BeCoolBro

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2010
It just sits on the one hole in the center and you screw it down.The pressure will fasten it.Also don't forget to screw the screws using the X pattern or else you won't be able to put the last one in the screw hole.

Killbomb

Distinguished
May 12, 2011
First, sorry for bringing up this old topic. The OP never posted as to whether or not he got the Hyper 212+ working with his mobo (which is the same one I have). I just would like to confirm that I am able to move the RAM to slots 2 and 3 and still have the PC work properly?

tjdavis

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2011

To the post above, although I didn't physically try it, I'm fairly certain you cannot move the sticks of RAM to different slots. What I ended up doing was just sliding the fan itself up a little bit so that it wasn't sitting on top of the RAM. It works perfect now so that is what I suggest.

Killbomb

Distinguished
May 12, 2011

Thanks for the quick reply. I think I will try it you way you suggested as I don't feel comfortable moving the RAM around. :)

tjdavis

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2011
No problem...if you have any troubles with it send me a message. It took me more time than I thought it would but in reality, it shouldn't have really taken more than 15-20 minutes. It definitely is massive though so make sure you got the room for it.

Killbomb

Distinguished
May 12, 2011

Moved the fan up a bit and got it in there. The temp difference is massive from the stock HSF. Not sure if the fan sticks out too much now though since I haven't tried to put the case cover back on yet. I've read running with the case open doesn't negatively affect anything on its own so I may end up having to run it that way.