Help with CPU Temp sensor

idlelimey

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2008
Hi,

I have scoured the net looking for the best way to mount a temperature sensor to monitor the CPU temperature. Some say on the CPU's heat plate, some say between the MoBo and the CPU etc...

I can't find a definitive answer. I don't want to complete this build until I know for sure.

Asus P5Q Mobo
Intel Q6600 CPU
Asus Silent Knight AL HSF
NZXT Lexa Alu Case (has the temp. diodes)

Many thanks!

idlelimey.

I wouldn't put anything between the cpu and motherboard socket. I use "core temp" and it's accurate enough, though the temp changes constantly; it monitors both cores of my e4300; temps range from 39-52 celcius. Don't forget room temp affects your temps, no matter how many fans are in your case.

idlelimey

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2008
Yeah, I think it was on old socket A processors they were saying to put the sensor between the CPU and the MoBo. It sounded a bit wrong somehow. The Q6600 is quad core, will this affect the placement of the diode?

michiganteddybear

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2006
where ever you can find a location (other than under cpu, or between heatsink and heat spreader)... yea, limits you to mounting it to the heatsink really.. but thats about it.

you dont want ANYTHING except a small amount of thermal compound between your heatsink and the cpu heatspreader

szwaba67

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2006
You won't be able to get a good reading of the cpu with an external diode due to the IHS. The best you can do is probably the underside of the heatsink overhang, not the part that touches the CPU. You're probably better off using those temp diodes to monitor ambient temps or hard drive temps.

idlelimey

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2008
Thanks everyone! szwaba67, you're right about using the diodes elsewhere, the MoBo has onboard sensors but they're never very good, so wanted a seperate source for reading temps.

neo36uk

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2011
what about on the back of the motherboard directly behind the CPU? i have access to this area but is it suitable?
cheers

TRENDING THREADS