Help with creating a Win 10 dual boot

_dawn_chorus_

Honorable
Aug 30, 2017
I have Win11 on my main M.2 drive and want to install Win10 on another Sata drive.
So I downloaded the Win10 media creation tool, installed it on a thumb drive and now best I can tell I just rearrange the boot menu in BIOS and install win10 on that SATA drive like normal.
What I am wondering is:

- If I boot into one windows what happens with the drive that has the other windows on it? Is it available in File Explorer like when you use a usb adapter attached to a boot drive? Or is it just unavailable?

- I assume you switch between them by just shifting the BIOS boot menu?

- Will doing this pose any risk to my initial Win11 boot drive?

USAFRet

Titan
Ideally, you do this on 2 completely individual drives.

Physically disconnect the Win 11 drive.
Connect whatever you want for Win 10.
Install.

When the WIn 10 is all up and running...
Power off
Reconnect the WIn 11 drive

Power up, interrupt the boot process, and choose which one you want to use.

Why this dual boot?

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
what he said :)

and yes you will be able to see and access the other hdd. so your win 11 disk will be accessible when booted to win 10 and vice versa.

you can disable the other hdd in device manager to keep them from seeing each other if you wish. so win 10 won't know the win 11 disk is there and the win 11 disk won't know win 10 is there when booted to that.

you set the default OS in the BIOS and then use F8 to boot to the other one when you want to.

as noted above though, install win 10 with the win 11 disk disconnected!!! only reconnect it once win 10 is up and fully running.

_dawn_chorus_

Honorable
Aug 30, 2017
Ideally, you do this on 2 completely individual drives.

Physically disconnect the Win 11 drive.
Connect whatever you want for Win 10.
Install.

When the WIn 10 is all up and running...
Power off
Reconnect the WIn 11 drive

Power up, interrupt the boot process, and choose which one you want to use.

Why this dual boot?
-Definitely using 2 different drives
-Do I really need to unplug the GPU in order to disconnect it from the motherboard or can I just slot it out safely? EDIT: (with everything powered down obviously after holding power button for 40sec while PSU is switched off to dissipate power. )The 12pin on the 4080 is like pulling out a 24pin mobo cable and with all the hubbub around improperly seated cables I want to avoid trying to get it out again. The Win11 boot drive is in the M.2 slot behind it.

-The dual boot is just to test an issue that I may have narrowed down to being a Win11 vs Vulkan API issue so I wanted to test the GPU in Vulkan on Win10 to rule out bad VRAM or something wrong on my overpriced hardware. The issue is absent on my girlfriends 4070 Win10 build. More on that issue here: https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/black-void-bug-in-rdr2-is-it-gpu-or-game-related.3809880/

USAFRet

Titan
-Definitely using 2 different drives
-Do I really need to unplug the GPU in order to disconnect it from the motherboard or can I just slot it out safely? EDIT: (with everything powered down obviously after holding power button for 40sec while PSU is switched off to dissipate power. )The 12pin on the 4080 is like pulling out a 24pin mobo cable and with all the hubbub around improperly seated cables I want to avoid trying to get it out again. The Win11 boot drive is in the M.2 slot behind it.

-The dual boot is just to test an issue that I may have narrowed down to being a Win11 vs Vulkan API issue so I wanted to test the GPU in Vulkan on Win10 to rule out bad VRAM or something wrong on my overpriced hardware. The issue is absent on my girlfriends 4070 Win10 build. More on that issue here: https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/black-void-bug-in-rdr2-is-it-gpu-or-game-related.3809880/
Not sure what the GPU has to do with setting up this dual boot.

_dawn_chorus_

Honorable
Aug 30, 2017
if you unplug the psu and then hold the power button down you could leave the gpu power plugged in. not a big deal, but i'd only do it with the psu unplugged from the wall.

better safe than sorry :)
You mean: Power down PC>Switch off PSU>Hold PC power button for 30+ seconds>unplug PSU> then I'd be ok just slotting out the GPU with the 12 pin attached still?

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
You mean: Power down PC>Switch off PSU>Hold PC power button for 30+ seconds>unplug PSU> then I'd be ok just slotting out the GPU with the 12 pin attached still?

So long as you do not turn the PC on like that it'll be fine. I'm assuming you are just putting an m2 drive under it and only need it out for a minute.

Running the PC with the gpu plugged in but not slotted is not a good idea. I'd not try it with my own personal stuff for sure. And I'd def not suggest anyone else try it.

_dawn_chorus_

Honorable
Aug 30, 2017
So long as you do not turn the PC on like that it'll be fine. I'm assuming you are just putting an m2 drive under it and only need it out for a minute.

Running the PC with the gpu plugged in but not slotted is not a good idea. I'd not try it with my own personal stuff for sure. And I'd def not suggest anyone else try it.
Oh god no haha. Yeah just pulling out the M.2 drive while I install the Win10 on the sata drive.