Question Help with enabling XMP ?

Dec 8, 2022
I am struggling to enable xmp on my system, I have corsairs LPX vengeance 4 sticks of 16gb DDR4, rated for 3200 mhz, but it is set at 2133 mhz currently, When I try to enable XMP in BIOS and restart my pc It does not apply XMP and resets the RAM back to 2133, I do not know anything about XMP so If anyone has answers it will be greatly appreciated.

Dec 8, 2022
Which way did you buy the RAM?

Was it:
  1. Set of 4 (where all 4 sticks came in one, sealed package)
  2. Two sets of 2 (where 2 sticks came in one, sealed package)
  3. Individual sticks
?
I bought them in identical two sets of two off of Newegg. Two sets of two sticks of 16gigs

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
that's why i suggested using motherboard's preset overclocking / tuninng profile whatever the motherboard is
even my cheap z390 prime p has got those ..

Without knowing what MoBo OP has, you have 0 idea if OP MoBo even has the OC presets. If OP has older Intel build, with non-Z MoBo, there is 0 OC profiles to choose from. So, better ask what hardware OP is than starting to throw out useless suggestions.

I bought them in identical two sets of two off of Newegg. Two sets of two sticks of 16gigs

And here lies the problem.

Sure, two sticks sold in a set, do work together, since they are tested by RAM manufacturer. Hence why they are sold in a set. But if you buy two sets, chances that they work together are 50:50.

Further reading, especially the "mixed memory" chapter,
link: https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq...y-ram-and-xmp-profile-configurations.3398926/

When RAM DIMMs are made, they are tested with each other and those sticks that get along well are put into sets. First set to be made is the set of 8 RAM sticks and sold as 8x RAM sticks in a set.
If the set of 8 doesn't work, it's divided into half which makes up two sets of 4. If the 4x RAM sticks do work together, the are sold as 4x RAM sticks in a set.
But if the set of 4 doesn't work, it's again divided into half, making two sets of 2. Two RAM sticks that work well with each other are sold as 2x RAM sticks in a set.
Those RAM sticks that doesn't want to work together at all, are sold as single RAM sticks.

Moving forwards, you have 3 options:
  1. Use all 4 sticks and be happy with 2133 Mhz speed they work with.
  2. Manually OC your RAM (if your BIOS supports that).
  3. Return the RAM (if you can) and instead buy a set of 4 RAM sticks.
#1 is what you have right now. And 2133 Mhz is JEDEC default speed, at which all RAM sticks have to work at. Often, when RAM sticks can't hold the XMP, they will revert back to JEDEC speeds (2133 Mhz). This is what you're seeing. In a way, you got lucky that system boots with all 4 sticks installed. Often, PC won't even boot when mixed RAM is used within it.

#2 is a lot of work with 0% chance it even works. But the idea is, that you manually enter the frequency, timings and voltage into BIOS, to get all 4 sticks working at or close to 3200 Mhz.
Now, you may be able only to get 3000 Mhz out of all sticks; or 3200 Mhz but with far loose timings (and higher CAS Latency); or even 3000/2600/2400 Mhz with far loose timings, before all your 4 RAM sticks are stable. Or none of it, resulting in the situation as in #1.
Thing is, without this tedious testing (manual OC, which also includes running at least 1 full pass of Memtest86, ~5h, to validate RAM working as it is supposed to, after each and every input in BIOS), there is no telling at what level all your 4 sticks are willing to work together.

#3 is guarantee that all 4 RAM sticks will work together, at their advertised speeds. But it will also cost you the most + you have plenty of leftover RAM, which cost you most likely can't recover.
Set of 4 is this (DDR4, 3200 Mhz, 4x 16GB), pcpp: https://pcpartpicker.com/products/memory/#b=ddr4&Z=65536004&S=3200&sort=price&page=1
It will cost you easy 150 bucks.

TRENDING THREADS