Question Help with file move from SSD to SSD

Walt1227

Honorable
Jun 24, 2013
I recently upgraded to win 10 after boot issues with win 8 OS on SSD. I put win 10 on a new SSD and want to move my files from the old SSD with win 8. Some files will move that are from 3rd party but my personal files like documents, photos, video etc.., won't move. I get the Error 0x800701B1: A device which does not exist was specified when trying to move personal files. Anybody had this issue before and know how to fix it to move files from one SSD to another?

Possibly because those folders are system folders and expect to reside on the root drive. Try copying all four of them to another folder on the source drive, meaning that they're subfolders of that main folder, and then copy the contents of each of those subfolders to their corresponding folders on your target SSD.

Walt1227

Honorable
Jun 24, 2013
Possibly because those folders are system folders and expect to reside on the root drive. Try copying all four of them to another folder on the source drive, meaning that they're subfolders of that main folder, and then copy the contents of each of those subfolders to their corresponding folders on your target SSD.
Tried that but all it does is copy the subfolders and leaves them empty without any of the files.

Walt1227

Honorable
Jun 24, 2013
"recent.dat"

Try something else, not something tied to an old application.
A .doc or .mp3, for instance.
Tried some mp3 and wav files and same error message pops up. It will create the subfolders for everything and will put any 3rd party data in them but when it comes to personal files it will not copy and paste them into a new folder on the desktop or to the desktop itself.

Walt1227

Honorable
Jun 24, 2013
All of the files are still in the folders. The SSD is in a healthy state but it won't allow me to move the files without admin rights to that folder. I've tried changing the sharing permissions among other things and nothing works. The drive is seen and I am inside of it looking at the files but even when I try to open them I keep getting that error message. I've tried copy and paste as well as moving the folders to no end. I'm at the point where I am about to wipe it and lose all of my family photos and videos since I'm not able to remove copy any of the files from the drive to my new drive with windows 10 OS.

Walt1227

Honorable
Jun 24, 2013
doesn't even allow you to copy them to a usb stick? Would this work in safe mode?
Nope not at all. The SSD would not boot after I added a new one to the system and tried working in the BIOS to fix the boot issue with no success. I ended up buying a new product key and upgraded to Windows 10 on a new SSD. I need to figure out how to get that SSD to boot so I can get those files off then I am going to wipe it clean and use it as a backup drive.

Nope not at all. The SSD would not boot after I added a new one to the system and tried working in the BIOS to fix the boot issue with no success. I ended up buying a new product key and upgraded to Windows 10 on a new SSD. I need to figure out how to get that SSD to boot so I can get those files off then I am going to wipe it clean and use it as a backup drive.

you should have asked here before buying a windows 10 key. the majority of windows 7 and 8 keys are able to activate a copy of windows 10

mazooni

Honorable
Jul 7, 2013
Have you tried booting your old SSD without the new one in the system. What happens when you try to boot it? Any error messages?

Walt1227

Honorable
Jun 24, 2013