guywhotypeslow

Reputable
May 22, 2015
HP Compaq
Core 2 Duo
windows 7
Graphics: Integrated on Mobo Intel(R) Q965/Q963 Express Chipset Family
Monitor: Asus vn289

I had previously posted this problem in another category. Other than that and a few edits, this is my first post on TH, or any forum actually.

I'm having a glitch where the desktop will have lines where the image is shifted over, sometimes after a window or the start menu uncovers the area and sometimes at random. Then if I get the desktop to redraw, it goes back to normal. So far it's been happening right after I wake the computer from sleep. It has yet to happen if I keep the computer on and don't put it to sleep.
However I can't necessarily exclude the possibility. I am currently not putting the computer to sleep which is so far seeming to be preventing it.

It seems to get progressively worse also. The top picture was taken one day after restoring from backup: The bottom picture was taken a week or so ago; before I restored from the backup.

I had previously posted about this problem occurring after a RAM failure. I believe the RAM was just loose because I recently moved cross country with the computer. I have since cleaned and reseated my RAM and restored from a backup that I believe should not have been damaged when the RAM failed. If it wasn't a corruption what else could have been causing this?

While I am fine just not putting my computer to sleep until I replace this free computer with a custom build; The problem does concern me, and any insight into the cause and any possible solutions would be much appreciated. Thank you.

Glitch_zps7qo1o9nb.jpg
[/URL][/img]

screen_artifacts_zpshxbrvsej.jpg
[/URL][/img]

guywhotypeslow

Reputable
May 22, 2015

I ran Memtest86, which is better than windows memory diagnostic. I did however run that also. After I cleaned and reseated the RAM I reran both test more than once and it passed 100% every time, and still does.

Yes, my video resolution is exactly what it supposed to be. Even my desktop background is exactly 1920X1080. I've had this issue for over a week now, those were some of the first things I did. I've also run sfc a few times without error. I have even reinstalled the driver once and it didn't fix it either.

Reyaz123

Admirable

This may help you deduce the problem.

Have you tried booting into safe mode to see if that graphical error still exists? If it only happens with normal boot up, that indicates a problem with your graphics card (not your internal one) either drivers, or settings

guywhotypeslow

Reputable
May 22, 2015

I haven't really stayed in safe mode long enough to see it happen nor have I put the computer to sleep from safe mode. I'm betting it wouldn't since it still has yet to even happen until after I wake the computer from sleep. Suppose it doesn't happen in safe mode, what would be my next course of action. I've only got the onboard graphics, and I'm not really looking to buy a GPU for this pc as it is old and was free.

Reyaz123

Admirable

There is no need to replace your graphics card unless you are a serious gamer, I understand that. However, instead of allowing the computer to go to sleep, you should try using hibernate mode (which can be set in the power options). Hibernate mode takes a few seconds longer to return to your work than sleep mode, saves more energy, and I doubt it will cause those screen issues.

guywhotypeslow

Reputable
May 22, 2015

Yeah I don't game, and I'll be replacing this computer with a custom build after this summers tech boom passes. I guess that's a slightly better alternative to just shutting it down every night. I'm pretty sure they both cause the same amount of booting wear. I guess wearing down my hardware isn't a big deal if it only has to last a few more months anyways. I would still like to know why its happening even if I can't fix it. I don't like unknowns when it comes to computers.

Reyaz123

Admirable

I see, people tend to want to solve mysteries at times. Anyways, when the screen gets garbled up like this, have you tried turning your monitor off, then back on after this happens?

guywhotypeslow

Reputable
May 22, 2015

No I haven't, I don't think. If it happens again I will. However it probably won't cause I'm not putting my computer to sleep again, unless I just have a bunch of free time to waste on causing this problem in order to solve it. I can say however that I doubt that will help because it only ever occurs on the desktop. When I open a window over the error the window looks fine, and if I then move the window the error is still on the desktop. The artifacts remain until the desktop redraws. It has never happened on any other window or frames.

guywhotypeslow

Reputable
May 22, 2015

Yeah I had tried that. I even switched to windows basic for a minute.