[SOLVED] Help with headset splitter/adapter

Status
Not open for further replies.

bz3426

Honorable
Nov 6, 2016
Hi I have a headset originally made for ps4 but id like to be able to use it on my pc. Because it only has one input cable i cant use it as a mic and audio device at once so im in need of a splitter. There are plenty of different splitters but i dont know which one i need. For reference, this device has a 3.5mm jack.

Solution
WAIT!! I'm pretty sure that is the WRONG adapter.

But the photo is useful. Look at the MALE connector on it. See that it has FOUR contacts: a tip, TWO rings, and a sleeve. Compare that to the item you linked to on eBay called a Headphone Splitter Adapter. Its male plug has THREE contacts including only ONE ring. Now compare that to the plug on your headset, and I bet it is the TWO-ring (4 contacts) version.

If that is so, then you need an adapter like this:

https://www.amazon.com/UGREEN-Headp...ne+adapter+combo+3.5mm&qid=1586193504&sr=8-12

Note that it has ONE female input connector that is specified as being the 4-contact type. You plug into...
You need a splitter that has one female and two male connectors, like this. The one in your link has two female and one male.

Now that you have told us what headset you have, we can read up on it. Did you read this from their web page: "PC, Mac and mobile compatibility not tested nor endorsed by Sony Interactive Entertainment Europe." ? The splitter should work regardless, but you never know when it comes to products at this price level.

Reactions: bz3426

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
WAIT!! I'm pretty sure that is the WRONG adapter.

But the photo is useful. Look at the MALE connector on it. See that it has FOUR contacts: a tip, TWO rings, and a sleeve. Compare that to the item you linked to on eBay called a Headphone Splitter Adapter. Its male plug has THREE contacts including only ONE ring. Now compare that to the plug on your headset, and I bet it is the TWO-ring (4 contacts) version.

If that is so, then you need an adapter like this:

https://www.amazon.com/UGREEN-Headp...ne+adapter+combo+3.5mm&qid=1586193504&sr=8-12

Note that it has ONE female input connector that is specified as being the 4-contact type. You plug into this the 4-contact plug of your headset. Then the adapter has TWO output plugs, each of the 3-contact type. One is marked for the heaphones, and one for the mic. These two plug into the matching socket on the front of your computer.

Solution
No. As said above you need two male and one female connectors, and the males should be 3 pole (3 contact rings divided by insulators, red and black in my first link). Male has a pin, female has a hole.

The one in your last link has one male (4 pole) and two female connectors.

ctsstc

Reputable
Sep 6, 2018
Here's a visual reference to help out.
You need a 4 pole female input with 2 male 3 pole outputs

2020-04-07_0510.png

Reactions: Nigel Spike

ctsstc

Reputable
Sep 6, 2018
Since it's not letting me edit my post, I'll have to double post : \

Another option is to look into a 4 pole to USB, but they tend to run more. Just depends what kind of jacks you want to use. USB tends to run its own in-line sound card, so it may be more preferable to utilize your own on-board/dedicated sound card in some cases.

Some usb in-line "sound cards" can be great and even add additional features your dedicated sound card may not have, others can be a pain or lack quality, so sometimes it's preferable to just utilize a splitter and keep the analog connection rather than adding additional headache/software/hardware in the line.

51lgOtUgrUL._AC_SL1001_.jpg

ctsstc

Reputable
Sep 6, 2018

That looks like what you're after. Sounds like the build quality could be questionable from the comments -- no mic, no audio, cross feed of audio to mic. I feel like I've had the same problems in the past with this kind of splitting, but could have been a quality thing. It's also likely to work perfect ;)

Edit:
Assuming your system has a dedicated mic + headphone jack input.

bz3426

Honorable
Nov 6, 2016
You reckon it's worth the risk? Maybe I could look for a higher priced wire and yes my desktop does have separate inputs which is why I need a splitter because my only headset which has a microphone is my PS4 one.

Status
Not open for further replies.