Help with Leadtek 5900XT

Tried to install this card tonight. Uninstalled the old drivers for my
4200Ti. Installed the 5900XT and rebooted. Right away I noticed that some of
the boot text was not right. Booted into WinXP, and installed the 5900
drivers. Rebooted again. This time the boot text was different colors, then
nothing but a blinking cursor.Reseated the 5900 in the AGP slot, and tried
again, with the same results. Reinstalled my 4200Ti card, and everything
works great. Any ideas are apprecitaed!!

System Info:
Asus A7N8X - DLX Mainboard
1GB Ram
350W Antec PS
160GB Hard drive
60GB Hard drive (no raid)
Pioneer DVD
Lite-On DVD/RW

> Reinstalled my 4200Ti card, and everything
> works great. Any ideas are apprecitaed!!

Your power supply is edgy. 350 watts for two hard drives, two CD drives, a
GB of ram, and a powerful video card won't cut it. Try disconnecting some
of the extra drives and see what happens.

NaDa

"RGT" <me@nospam.com> wrote:
> Tried to install this card tonight. Uninstalled the old drivers for my
> 4200Ti. Installed the 5900XT and rebooted. Right away I noticed that some of
> the boot text was not right. Booted into WinXP, and installed the 5900
> drivers. Rebooted again. This time the boot text was different colors, then
> nothing but a blinking cursor.Reseated the 5900 in the AGP slot, and tried
> again, with the same results. Reinstalled my 4200Ti card, and everything
> works great. Any ideas are apprecitaed!!
>
> System Info:
> Asus A7N8X - DLX Mainboard
> 1GB Ram
> 350W Antec PS
> 160GB Hard drive
> 60GB Hard drive (no raid)
> Pioneer DVD
> Lite-On DVD/RW

I don't think it's the power supply. The Leadtek does have a colorful
BIOS text in the beginning, but if it doesen't work right in the
Windows environment, you should contact the place where you bought it
and replace it. It's not unusual to get a bad sample. I've had a
couple of those in the last six years.

NaDa

"RGT" <me@nospam.com> wrote:
> Tried to install this card tonight. Uninstalled the old drivers for my
> 4200Ti. Installed the 5900XT and rebooted. Right away I noticed that some of
> the boot text was not right. Booted into WinXP, and installed the 5900
> drivers. Rebooted again. This time the boot text was different colors, then
> nothing but a blinking cursor.Reseated the 5900 in the AGP slot, and tried
> again, with the same results. Reinstalled my 4200Ti card, and everything
> works great. Any ideas are apprecitaed!!

Just in case you don't know this; I forgot to mention in my previous
post that there is a molex connector at the end of the card that you
have to remember to plug in to your PSU for more juice. Your old Ti
4200 didn't have or need one, but the 5900XT needs to be plugged.

RGT wrote:
> Tried to install this card tonight. Uninstalled the old drivers for my
> 4200Ti. Installed the 5900XT and rebooted. Right away I noticed that some of
> the boot text was not right. Booted into WinXP, and installed the 5900
> drivers. Rebooted again. This time the boot text was different colors, then
> nothing but a blinking cursor.Reseated the 5900 in the AGP slot, and tried
> again, with the same results. Reinstalled my 4200Ti card, and everything
> works great. Any ideas are apprecitaed!!
>
> System Info:
> Asus A7N8X - DLX Mainboard
> 1GB Ram
> 350W Antec PS
> 160GB Hard drive
> 60GB Hard drive (no raid)
> Pioneer DVD
> Lite-On DVD/RW

If it is messed up during P.O.S.T., then most likely
a bad card. I had a 5600U with a bad memory chip,
same symptoms.

Jeff B

Yea, I thought it also may be the PS. I disconnected both DVD drives and one
hard drive, and the same thing happens. The mainboard will normally beep
once when booting. It doesn't when i install this card, which leads me to
believe there is something wrong with this board.

"RGT" <me@nospam.com> wrote in message

> 350W Antec PS

I have an Antec 430W psu and from cold boot, have to wait 10 mins or so,
because the thing boots (or doesn't) with colours all over the screen etc.
When things have warmed up a bit, a quick press of the reset button and
things kick into life.

I think my PSU is not up to the job, yours too..

RGT wrote:
> Yea, I thought it also may be the PS. I disconnected both DVD drives
> and one hard drive, and the same thing happens. The mainboard will
> normally beep once when booting. It doesn't when i install this card,
> which leads me to believe there is something wrong with this board.
>

> "Mr. Brian Allen" <blah@blah.com> wrote in message
>>> Reinstalled my 4200Ti card, and everything
>>> works great. Any ideas are apprecitaed!!
>>
>> Your power supply is edgy. 350 watts for two hard drives, two CD
>> drives, a GB of ram, and a powerful video card won't cut it. Try
>> disconnecting some of the extra drives and see what happens.

Check your cables. I went through a similar situation thinking it was a
power supply/memory problem. I had a bad IDE cable that didn't show up
until I had moved them and such.

On Thu, 22 Apr 2004 00:53:40 GMT, "RGT" <me@nospam.com> wrote:

>Tried to install this card tonight. Uninstalled the old drivers for my
>4200Ti. Installed the 5900XT and rebooted. Right away I noticed that some of
>the boot text was not right. Booted into WinXP, and installed the 5900
>drivers. Rebooted again. This time the boot text was different colors, then
>nothing but a blinking cursor.Reseated the 5900 in the AGP slot, and tried
>again, with the same results. Reinstalled my 4200Ti card, and everything
>works great. Any ideas are apprecitaed!!
>
>System Info:
>Asus A7N8X - DLX Mainboard
>1GB Ram
>350W Antec PS
>160GB Hard drive
>60GB Hard drive (no raid)
>Pioneer DVD
>Lite-On DVD/RW

Did you plug in the Extra power connector..?

"Nada" <nada_says@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> "RGT" <me@nospam.com> wrote:
> > Tried to install this card tonight. Uninstalled the old drivers for my
> > 4200Ti. Installed the 5900XT and rebooted. Right away I noticed that
some of
> > the boot text was not right. Booted into WinXP, and installed the 5900
> > drivers. Rebooted again. This time the boot text was different colors,
then
> > nothing but a blinking cursor.Reseated the 5900 in the AGP slot, and
tried
> > again, with the same results. Reinstalled my 4200Ti card, and everything
> > works great. Any ideas are apprecitaed!!
>
> Just in case you don't know this; I forgot to mention in my previous
> post that there is a molex connector at the end of the card that you
> have to remember to plug in to your PSU for more juice. Your old Ti
> 4200 didn't have or need one, but the 5900XT needs to be plugged.

Before I RMA this board, I decided to try a new PSU. I picked up a Antec
True Power 550. Same problem as before. Colored text for a second, then a
blinking cursor. time to send it back for replacement!

RGT

NaDa

"RGT" <me@nospam.com> wrote:
> "Nada" <nada_says@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Just in case you don't know this; I forgot to mention in my previous
> > post that there is a molex connector at the end of the card that you
> > have to remember to plug in to your PSU for more juice. Your old Ti
> > 4200 didn't have or need one, but the 5900XT needs to be plugged.
>

> Before I RMA this board, I decided to try a new PSU. I picked up a Antec
> True Power 550. Same problem as before. Colored text for a second, then a
> blinking cursor. time to send it back for replacement!
>
> RGT

Man, I feel for you. There's nothing worse than getting a faulty
Sunday sample. But look at it this way, you have extra juice for a
future 6800 upgrade with that huge power supply. Good luck with the
card replacement.

> Before I RMA this board, I decided to try a new PSU. I picked up a Antec
> True Power 550. Same problem as before. Colored text for a second, then a
> blinking cursor. time to send it back for replacement!

Interesting that the PSU replacement did not help. I also have a leadtek
5900 xt that is giving me problems. If I have hw acceleration set past 0 the
computer reboots when I scroll down in internet explorer or when I move a
window around on my desktop.I have already replaced the mother board and no
difference. I thought it was the card, but then was no so sure after I
reinstalled my old geforce 3 ti200 and had terrible display quality at
1024x768.
I don't think it is my PSU as it is a 350 w antec and all I have connected
now is the video card, and 2 hard drives and nothing else. Let me know if
the replacement works better for you.