Help with low fps in games

Status
Not open for further replies.

slasher87

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2010
Recently I have purchased two new 460gtx both cards are great they run really quiet and cool and in certain games get excellent frames. However when testing them out with Crysis and BF2BC I get absolutely low fps on low settings (everything set low in the game options. About 15fps if am lucky in Crysis and anywhere from 20-25fps in BF2BC from what I can tell from doing a bit of research on the internet is that I should be getting a lot more. Was thinking that my CPU is bottle necking my GPUs.

1680 x 1050
EVGA 460 GTX 768MB x2
4 Gigs of Ram
AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 5200+
Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
Up to date drivers

Checked out settings in Nvidia Control panel and SLi is enabled, everything else is hooked correctly with both cards. However I plan on upgrading things over time, and I never bothered to order a new PSU currently using a 700W PSU and both cards are getting enough voltage through the EVGA OC Scanner so not sure if that's the problem. Can't think of any other things off the top of my head to include if you need more info let me know.

Currently running two monitors but get the same FPS with them together or just using one. Any help would be much appreciated!!

Thanks.

Solution
With that GPU power your CPU is a bottleneck. Have you turned up details to see if there is any difference? If it does not slow down you have confirmed the bottleneck.

slasher87

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2010
things only go from worse to worse when I turn things up in game settings, its what I was thinking was the problem was just looking for some other opinions before I went and dropped some money on a new CPU!

slasher87

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2010
Tried testing each card by themselves in game and with 3d mark 06 (get relatively the same score). Wasn't any better in game.

How much of a difference does PCI-e x16 2.0 and 1.1 make a difference with current cards been reading and it doesn't seem to make much of a difference however these articles are 2-3 years old as well so not really accurate I would assume.

Motherboard is ASUS M2N-SLI Deluxe rather old mobo..

Thanks

slasher87

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2010
did a bit of playing today OCed my CPU to almost 2.9 saw some numbers I never have before but not good enough, going to order a new one probably a quad core, will post back with the results.

Status
Not open for further replies.