[SOLVED] Help with LTO Tape Drives

richardrosenman

Reputable
Jan 8, 2019
Hi all;

I had an external Dell LTO tape backup drive with it's associated SCSI card installed in an old computer. I made many backups but somehow, that computer is now gone and so is the tape drive so I need to find a replacement drive that can restore my tapes. It's been a while so I was hoping that you guys could help me with some questions:

1 - the tapes that the media is backup up on is Dell LTO Ultrium 3. Does this mean I need to purchase an LTO 3 drive? Will any brand drive read any brand tape?

2 - my previous drive was external and as such, needed a card for connecting to the computer. I see that they sell internal LTO drives. Do these connect directly to a SATA port? If so, it seems it would make it much easier than requiring a dedicated card as well, no?

3 - i seem to recall I used Symantec Backup Exec (?) to backup all my data. Does this mean I need to get this software again to restore it? Or can I use other software? Is there compatibility between software?

4 - any good, budget-friendly suggestions? I just need an affordable drive (can be second-hand) to restore my data. I seldom use it... maybe 3-4 times a year. So it doesn't make sense to buy another new, with a card, with the software, etc.

Any other info that you think would help me would be appreciated.

Thanks to all in advance!
-Rich

kanewolf

Titan
An LTO3, LTO4 or LTO5 should be able to read the tape. They guarantee two generations of backwards compatibility -- https://www.lto.org/solutions/benefits/compatibility/

As for the Symantec question, I would ask that on their forum. The software may be more expensive than the hardware.

richardrosenman

Reputable
Jan 8, 2019

Thank you for your reply. What about the external vs internal questions (#2) and if they can simply plug into SATA?

Thanks,
-Rich