Help with OS

AmdPro

Honorable
Jun 20, 2013
Ok so i was kinda tired of windows 8.. and i had an old windows 7 install cd so i decided to install ( Knowing nothing about installing an OS) windows 7 think it would wipe windows 8, well after that i found out that the cd was for a laptop im guessing and wouldnt support my monitor resolution, 1600x900, it just wouldnt go to it. so i re installed windows 8, did a stability test and.. idk i think it auto installed updates during the night when i fell asleep and i woke up to my computer being off when i had set the stability test to run for 10 hours. Now this is a gaming pc, and every now and then my dota will completely shut off, lots of apps freezing, and im just wondering if i screwed up my pc...also a file named windows.old is in my main drive, and has nothing i need on it.

Solution
A few points.

1. Where did you get the Windows 7 disk? If it's not a recovery disk from some pre-built PC, it's not "meant for" any particular system. You would have problems with screen resolution if you didn't install the correct video drivers.

2. Windows.old is the Windows 7 installation. If you didn't format the drive and wipe everything fresh when you re-installed Windows 8 it retained the old files. They can be removed using the Disk Cleanup utility. GO to computer, right click C:, select Properties then Disk Cleanup. Select "Clean up system files" to show the old windows installation and put a check in that box. Then Windows will delete Windows.Old to clear space.

A few points.

1. Where did you get the Windows 7 disk? If it's not a recovery disk from some pre-built PC, it's not "meant for" any particular system. You would have problems with screen resolution if you didn't install the correct video drivers.

2. Windows.old is the Windows 7 installation. If you didn't format the drive and wipe everything fresh when you re-installed Windows 8 it retained the old files. They can be removed using the Disk Cleanup utility. GO to computer, right click C:, select Properties then Disk Cleanup. Select "Clean up system files" to show the old windows installation and put a check in that box. Then Windows will delete Windows.Old to clear space.

Solution