Help with P5GD1-VM

I'm putting together a system with an ASUS P5GD1-VM (socket 775) with the
following configuration:

Intel Pentium 4, 3.0 GHz (socket 775)
1 GB DDR 400 RAM
DVD read/write
1394/USB combo card

I bought a 24 pin power supply as well to replace the one that came with the
case.

When I power up, the system goes through the boot up process, and then after
a few seconds, it shuts down a half minute or so into the process. If I
press the Del key, it goes into the BIOS setup, but then it also shuts down
after a half minute or so. What seems to be the problem? I did not find any
useful info on the ASUS web site and the manual does not have a
troubleshooting section.

Regards,
Joseph

Tim

Does the CPU get hot? Is the CPU fan going?

If you go straight into the bios, and then to the hardware monitor portion,
the CPU shouldn't go over 60c. If it climbs steadily over 60c than shuts
down (75c?) it will be because the CPU heatsink is not correctly mounted
with thermal grease. Take a look over at www.arcticsilver.com for some
instructions.

- Tim

"Joseph Mouhanna" <j-o-s-e-p-h--no--s-p--a-m@m--ou--hann--a.net> wrote in