Oct 16, 2013
Hi all,

Pc Specs;
CPU - AMD Ryzen 5 3600x 6-Core
MotherB- B450 Tomahawk Max
RAM : 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4
GPU - GeForce GTX 1060 3GB :(
PSU - CORSAIR 350W VS SERIES™ VS-350 POWER SUPPLY

I definitely need to update the GPU, and was thinking of a RTX3060 so will also have to update the PSU to a 650w/700w - would this be fine considering that the CPU is AMD and other a 3600x model?

But before i do anything, i wanted to make sure this was the most cost effective route/best order of upgrading, looking for any advice as I'm not fully clued up when it comes to PC parts.

Happy to provide anymore info, just let me know.

Thank you!

Last edited:

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Hi all,

Pc Specs;

I definitely need to update the GPU, and was thinking of a RTX3060 so will also have to update the PSU to a 650w/700w - would this be fine considering that the CPU is AMD and other a 3600x model?

But before i do anything, i wanted to make sure this was the most cost effective route/best order of upgrading, looking for any advice as I'm not fully clued up when it comes to PC parts.

Thank you!
A 3060 would be fine, though keep in mind that you don't just want an upgrade in total output from the PSU, but an upgrade in *quality* as well. A Corsair VS is a basic, entry-level PSU, unsuitable for a higher-end GPU, even if there's theoretically enough maximum wattage.

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead

Everton_

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2013
A 3060 would be fine, though keep in mind that you don't just want an upgrade in total output from the PSU, but an upgrade in *quality* as well. A Corsair VS is a basic, entry-level PSU, unsuitable for a higher-end GPU, even if there's theoretically enough maximum wattage.
Looking at an MSI 750w on Amazon, seems good value would this work with the above suggestions?

"MSI MPG A750GF Power Supply Unit, UK Plug - 750W, 80 Plus Gold Certified, Fully Modular ATX PSU, 3 x 6+2 Pin GPU Support, Japanese 105°C Capicitors, Flat Black Cables"

Reactions: Why_Me

hm1342

Commendable
Mar 3, 2022
Hi all,

Pc Specs;

Thank you!
What's your budget for the upgrades? I had a similar setup not too long ago and upgraded the PSU first (750W), then the GPU (RX 6750 XT) and finally the CPU (Ryzen 5 5600). I had 32GB RAM to start and would highly recommend that as part of your upgrade. Best of luck!

My stock approach to this perennial question:

Some games are graphics limited like fast action shooters.
Others are cpu core speed limited like strategy, sims, and mmo.
Multiplayer tends to like many threads.

You need to find out which.
------------------------------------------------------------
To help clarify your CPU/GPU options, run these two tests:

a) Run YOUR games, but lower your resolution and eye candy.
This makes the graphics card loaf a bit.
If your FPS increases, it indicates that your cpu is strong enough to drive a better graphics configuration.
If your FPS stays the same, you are likely more cpu limited.
b) Limit your cpu, either by reducing the OC, or, in windows power management, limit the maximum cpu% to something like 70%.
Go to control panel/power options/change plan settings/change advanced power settings/processor power management/maximum processor state/
This will simulate what a lack of cpu power will do.
Conversely what a 30% improvement in core speed might do.

You should also experiment with removing one or more cores/threads. You can do this in the windows msconfig boot advanced options option.
You will need to reboot for the change to take effect. Set the number of threads to less than you have.
This will tell you how sensitive your games are to the benefits of many threads.
If you see little difference, your game does not need all the threads you have.

It is possible that both tests are positive, indicating that you have a well balanced system,
and both cpu and gpu need to be upgraded to get better gaming FPS.
-------------------------------------------------------------

Reactions: hm1342
the 5600X3D from microcenter is the best bang for buck CPU upgrade you can get. You have some good PSU suggestion by @Why_Me above.

I would try for the 3060ti if possible. the Intel Arc A770 can also be a good buy. see the benchmarks for the games you play / wanna play and decide. Look for 2nd hand if you want both CPU and GPU upgrade. would be a bit cheaper.

Reactions: Why_Me