[SOLVED] Help with possible power supply problem: computer startup

Nov 7, 2021
Hi All,

I have a intel m10jnp2sb low end server board, with Xeon E 2176G 6 core, power supply is Rosewill Photon1050

When I press the start button on the computer, if I release the button right away, the fans go on, and a few seconds later the computer shuts off. If I hold the start button for 2-3 seconds, the computer boots and seems to run fine. When I press the power start button, it looks like the motherboard LED goes off for a second.

Im worried that the power supply has a problem, maybe a weak cable and its not delivering the current to the motherboard correctly.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated. The power supply is the only part in the system im not completely sure about. If I could go back 6 monthts, I think I would have purchased a Seasonic or Antec.

Thanks

Solution
Does the same thing. it boots up fine, but only if I hold the button hooked to the power switch button 1-2 seconds.

Did you also try just shorting the pins? That'd rule out the case wiring totally, although if the reset button trick made no difference, I'd be surprised if that did. That and a CMOS reset are worth a try, but it is pointing in the direction of the power supply having a problem unfortunately.
Nov 7, 2021
Sorry for appering a bit dense, I just didn't want to break anything: I think youe' saying to take the reset switch wire, and hook it to the power switch pins on the header? If so, I can leave the power switch wiring off? Thanks, Mike.

Reactions: John Chesterfield
Does the same thing. it boots up fine, but only if I hold the button hooked to the power switch button 1-2 seconds.

Did you also try just shorting the pins? That'd rule out the case wiring totally, although if the reset button trick made no difference, I'd be surprised if that did. That and a CMOS reset are worth a try, but it is pointing in the direction of the power supply having a problem unfortunately.

Solution