[SOLVED] Help With Repeated BSOD when trying to install Windows 10

SourCherry

Reputable
Apr 26, 2016
For the past few hours I've been attempting to install Windows 10 to an Intel 660p 512GB M.2 SSD. I'm using a USB flash drive and the Windows Media Creation Tool from Microsoft's website, and each time I've attempted to install Windows 10 I've got a BSOD with a few different messages (mostly DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL and SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION). I've built quite a few PCs before and never come across this. I updated my BIOS and even attempted installing to an old HDD that I know has worked perfectly in the past, but to no avail. Each time the installer will get partially into the process and then crash, the furthest I've gotten is past the Installing Features section, and then the second it started the Installing Updates I got an instant BSOD. I've looked through a couple of threads that are the same or similar issues but they never have a conclusive fix, and some suggest memory may be an issue so I've tried swapping out different sticks of memory and in different slots, but no change.

Full System Specs:
I7-6800k
Asus X99 Sabertooth
4x8GB DDR4 2133
GTX 1060 6GB
Intel 660p 512GB M.2 SSD

Solution
I'll always get a bsod somewhere between the copying windows files and the installing updates

d/c the PC from internet/wifi if you can and run installer and see if you can get past the update stage, as if we can get windows on PC, we can grab driver updates and windows updates after the fact.

SourCherry

Reputable
Apr 26, 2016
I won't have time yet tonight to run the memtest, but I tried upping the dram voltage and following this very informative thread on the Microsoft page https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-clean-install-through-usb-gets-stuck-on/d1828239-a744-47c9-8994-408324d6cb0c?page=1, but all this succeeded in doing was giving me a new BSOD message during the install process, this time a DPC Watchdog Violation. I then double checked Intel's support page for the ssd and confirmed that it can be used as a boot drive and also double-checked their installation manual to make sure I wasn't missing anything, which I wasn't.

Update: I ran the memtest and it finished with no errors reported.

Last edited:

Randi Poling

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2014
I won't have time yet tonight to run the memtest, but I tried upping the dram voltage and following this very informative thread on the Microsoft page https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-clean-install-through-usb-gets-stuck-on/d1828239-a744-47c9-8994-408324d6cb0c?page=1, but all this succeeded in doing was giving me a new BSOD message during the install process, this time a DPC Watchdog Violation. I then double checked Intel's support page for the ssd and confirmed that it can be used as a boot drive and also double-checked their installation manual to make sure I wasn't missing anything, which I wasn't.

Update: I ran the memtest and it finished with no errors reported.

Potentially a bad write of the image, is your CPU overclocked? Maybe make sure your CPU is running stock, or try using only 1 stick of RAM, from here its all just trouble shooting. maybe making a new USB Boot Key.

SourCherry

Reputable
Apr 26, 2016
Overclocks were set to default, I’ve tried different sticks of RAM in different slots, recreated the USB boot key, nothing seems to have worked. At this point I’m wondering if I have a bricked motherboard

SourCherry

Reputable
Apr 26, 2016
I've tried two different USB sticks, I've tried different USB ports both USB 2 and USB 3, I used Rufus and a windows ISO to create the second USB stick in case the windows media creation tool messed up somehow; but I still can't ever finish an install to either my m.2 ssd or just a normal hdd, I'll always get a bsod somewhere between the copying windows files and the installing updates. I've also reset the CMOS and tried every different BIOS setting from every tutorial online, as well as just the default settings. Ready to admit defeat and buy a new motherboard or ask a friend for a different cpu to test.