Question Help with SSD/HD Not Being Recognised

Jul 23, 2022
Hi, so my brother bought parts for his new PC and sent it to a local shop to be built. The guy came back to us with it pretty much fully built, apart from the SSD and HD. He said something to my brother about connecting 2 SATA's and a Molex. For some reason the repair guy couldn't do this as he didn't have the cables.

I have attempted to connect both the HD and SSD, with cables from my old PSU as I figured that might do the trick. However, when connected like this the PC will not boot - fans will spin for a second and then stop. I have connected cables to the PSU (the bit where it says SATA should go) and back into the SSD/HD. Then SATA cables from both drives into the motherboard.

Since the PC will not boot I removed these cables and it will boot just fine. Obviously not ideal since the drives are not connected. Does anyone have suggestions on what to do? I'm not sure if I perhaps have the wrong cables or have plugged things in the wrong way. Would really appreciate any advice, thanks!

Parts:
unknown.png

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Oh no, so you used modular cables from your old PSU in the new PSU? That's...not good. What is the exact new PSU and old PSU?

I'd be very suspicious about this shop if they didn't have the hardware to run a SATA drive. It's like finding a car mechanic that's out of oil or a hospital that just doesn't carry IV bags.

As to why you would need a Molex cable to power a modern drive, I'm befuddled. Sounds like this repair guy was a complete idiot.

Reactions: Dark Lord of Tech
Jul 23, 2022
  1. You seriously need a better tech guy. Your dude is completely incompetent.
  2. WHat specific PSU and cables is involved here?
Ah, I didn't realize the PSU wasn't in the parts list. Here's the PSU: Seasonic Focus GX-750 750W 80+ Gold Modular Power Supply. As for cables, I believe it was 6-pin power into the PSU (the part for SATA/Misc). At the other end was a long cable with multiple connectors that fit into the HD. The HD also had a SATA cable going from it into the Motherboard. Sorry, I can't be more specific, let me know if pictures of these cables would help.

USAFRet

Titan
Ah, I didn't realize the PSU wasn't in the parts list. Here's the PSU: Seasonic Focus GX-750 750W 80+ Gold Modular Power Supply. As for cables, I believe it was 6-pin power into the PSU (the part for SATA/Misc). At the other end was a long cable with multiple connectors that fit into the HD. The HD also had a SATA cable going from it into the Motherboard. Sorry, I can't be more specific, let me know if pictures of these cables would help.
Did you (or your incompetent tech guy) use ONLY the cables that came with this new PSU?
Or was a bit of mix and match?

with cables from my old PSU

You may well have killed some parts...:(