Question Help with the choice of CPU ?

Jun 23, 2024
I am in the process of selecting the hardware for my new PC. I buy a PC mainly for games in 2k resolution. Here is the build that I got:

MOBO: MSI PRO Z790-P WIFI
CPU: Intel Core i7-13700KF OEM
GPU: MSI GeForce RTX 4080 SUPER GAMING X SLIM
AIO: LIAN LI Galahad AIO 360 UNI FAN SL120 Edition
RAM: ADATA XPG Lancer Blade 32GB
SSD: 2000GB M.2 ADATA LEGEND 960 MAX
PSU: DeepCool PX1000G 1000w

The problem is that it recently turned out that intel has problems with i9 and i7 crashes.
This is said to be due to the increased input voltage and incorrect power limits.
This mainly concerns the i9, but problems with the 13700kf are also possible. Here I thought about taking
the Ryzen 7900x, but the problem is in the am5, which is also not going smoothly. Raw bios and a lot of malfunctions.

Maybe I just couldn't find a normal motherboard for it. I do not know here.
Someone advised me to take the i5-13600k, but it is noticeably worse in performance than the above.
It may be worth taking 13700kf and immediately lowering the voltage and power, but there are fears that this will reduce performance of i5. Or I could take a 7900X, but then you will have to suffer from motherboards.
What do you think about this? I note that in my case, all these processors cost the same.

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Last I checked, a BIOS update was rolled out to address the i7/i9 issue. I'm on an AM5 itx platform with the Ryzen 5 7600(non-x) with DDR5-6000MHz dual channel ram.

If you're looking at a processor, please don't look at the F SKU's, since they lack the iGPU. I would advise on getting a non-F SKU, the iGPU comes in handy when troubleshooting a discrete GPU issue.

If you do decide to get a 7900x, you could look into a high end'ish B650 chipset motherboard.

Reactions: 35below0
Jun 23, 2024
Hi, yes, a bios update was released, but as they say, it greatly reduces performance from 5 to 30%.
I doubt there will be problems with the graphics card. If something happens to her, then for the first time I will be able to insert a video card from the last PC. But thanks for the advice.
Have you had any problems with the am5 platform? A raw bios or a problem with overclocking memory?
I looked at good options on this chipset but many complained.

Jun 23, 2024
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Last I checked, a BIOS update was rolled out to address the i7/i9 issue. I'm on an AM5 itx platform with the Ryzen 5 7600(non-x) with DDR5-6000MHz dual channel ram.

If you're looking at a processor, please don't look at the F SKU's, since they lack the iGPU. I would advise on getting a non-F SKU, the iGPU comes in handy when troubleshooting a discrete GPU issue.

If you do decide to get a 7900x, you could look into a high end'ish B650 chipset motherboard.
AMD Ryzen 9 7900X OEM
MSI MAG B650 TOMAHAWK WIFI
MSI GeForce RTX 4080 SUPER GAMING X SLIM
LIAN LI Galahad AIO 360 UNI FAN SL120 Edition
G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB 32gb
2000 ГБ SSD M.2 ADATA LEGEND 960 MAX
DeepCool PX1000G
case - GameMax SIEGE WH
What do you think? Does anything need to be tweaked or is this a good build?

Motherboard makers were bypassing the Intel recommended power limits.
In effect overclocking past what some chips were capable of.
A byproduct was the need for aggressive cpu cooling.
Selecting "optimized default settings" in the bios was anything but.
But in most cases it did get better cpu performance.
You have choices. Most fast action gaming performance will come from the 4080 graphics card. Most games will only stress a couple of cores.
Running mutithreaded batch apps, stressing all threads is where you want aggressive cooling.
I7-13700K is a perfecty good gaming choice.
Just pick the intel recommended power limits.
I advise against saving pennies on the F suffix units. Having integrated graphics can save you if you should have a gpu issue.
Have you considered the 65w non K processors?
The do fine with air cooling, even the supplied default cooler.
Look at the i7-14500 for example.

Jun 15, 2024
AMD Ryzen 9 7900X OEM
MSI MAG B650 TOMAHAWK WIFI
MSI GeForce RTX 4080 SUPER GAMING X SLIM
LIAN LI Galahad AIO 360 UNI FAN SL120 Edition
G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB 32gb
2000 ГБ SSD M.2 ADATA LEGEND 960 MAX
DeepCool PX1000G
case - GameMax SIEGE WH
What do you think? Does anything need to be tweaked or is this a good build?
Dont buy msi motherboard according to my experience last time when i update my bios using msi motherboard it quit to dekstop while playing game so i need to rollback.now i am on gigabyte z790 gaming x ax it works fine.the problem is msi dont follow or they change the microcode that intel given

Munkustrap

Honorable
Mar 31, 2019
Hi, yes, a bios update was released, but as they say, it greatly reduces performance from 5 to 30%.
I doubt there will be problems with the graphics card. If something happens to her, then for the first time I will be able to insert a video card from the last PC. But thanks for the advice.
Have you had any problems with the am5 platform? A raw bios or a problem with overclocking memory?
I looked at good options on this chipset but many complained.
The performance reduction really depends on what resolution you're playing at. At 1080p the drop in performance is significant in benchmarks, but I doubt you'd notice during play. At 1440p and 4K, the graphics card is more important than the CPU for pushing frames.

My 14900K crashed periodically when using MSI's "Water Cooler" power option (basically PL1/PL2 at 4096w and ICCMax at 512v). I set PL1 and PL2 to 253w and ICCMax to 407v (Intel "Performance" recommended settings) and haven't had a single crash since. I play at 4K so I didn't notice any reduction in FPS.

Jun 23, 2024
Motherboard makers were bypassing the Intel recommended power limits.
In effect overclocking past what some chips were capable of.
A byproduct was the need for aggressive cpu cooling.
Selecting "optimized default settings" in the bios was anything but.
But in most cases it did get better cpu performance.
You have choices. Most fast action gaming performance will come from the 4080 graphics card. Most games will only stress a couple of cores.
Running mutithreaded batch apps, stressing all threads is where you want aggressive cooling.
I7-13700K is a perfecty good gaming choice.
Just pick the intel recommended power limits.
I advise against saving pennies on the F suffix units. Having integrated graphics can save you if you should have a gpu issue.
Have you considered the 65w non K processors?
The do fine with air cooling, even the supplied default cooler.
Look at the i7-14500 for example.
I have already decided on the 7900x. In terms of performance, it is the same as the 13700k, but there are fewer problems with it. I'll have to work hard with the motherboard at the beginning, but I'll be sure that everything will be fine.
unfortunately I don't have the option to take 7800x3d.
And about msi motherboards. Gigabytes are also a lot of problems, but the motherboard I chose is one of the best. Perhaps you had another worse model.

Jun 23, 2024
The performance reduction really depends on what resolution you're playing at. At 1080p the drop in performance is significant in benchmarks, but I doubt you'd notice during play. At 1440p and 4K, the graphics card is more important than the CPU for pushing frames.

My 14900K crashed periodically when using MSI's "Water Cooler" power option (basically PL1/PL2 at 4096w and ICCMax at 512v). I set PL1 and PL2 to 253w and ICCMax to 407v (Intel "Performance" recommended settings) and haven't had a single crash since. I play at 4K so I didn't notice any reduction in FPS.
Do you mean to say that the voltage should not be lowered and only the power should be limited? Without using an updated bios? It's just that now I have even more doubts. Everywhere they say different things about how to solve the problem with intel. I'm afraid that my chip will degrade, and I won't notice it and it will be too late. I also fear that this will reduce performance to i5. And here I'm talking not only about games where the main load goes to the video card, but in processor-dependent tasks.

Munkustrap

Honorable
Mar 31, 2019
Do you mean to say that the voltage should not be lowered and only the power should be limited? Without using an updated bios? It's just that now I have even more doubts. Everywhere they say different things about how to solve the problem with intel. I'm afraid that my chip will degrade, and I won't notice it and it will be too late. I also fear that this will reduce performance to i5. And here I'm talking not only about games where the main load goes to the video card, but in processor-dependent tasks.
The recent MSI BIOS update only sets PL1 and PL2 wattages and ICCMax volts to the "Intel Default" values so you don't have to. Not sure about other motherboard vendors. It should say in the BIOS release notes. Assuming that's the only change in the BIOS release, you can do that manually without an update. Undervolting / overvolting is a subjective and CPU-specific value. Intel default profile sets those to "Auto" so the motherboard controls them.

In a nutshell, there are 3 settings that Intel focuses on: PL1, PL2, and ICCMax. Everything else is just "Auto" or "Normal" by default.

If you want to undervolt the other power values, you can still do that. Might even be able to increase the PL1 and PL2 above 253 and still remain stable & cool. It'll just take some trial & error.

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2024
I have already decided on the 7900x. In terms of performance, it is the same as the 13700k, but there are fewer problems with it. I'll have to work hard with the motherboard at the beginning, but I'll be sure that everything will be fine.
unfortunately I don't have the option to take 7800x3d.
And about msi motherboards. Gigabytes are also a lot of problems, but the motherboard I chose is one of the best. Perhaps you had another worse model.
Better buy 7900x3d you will never regret it,building a pc is once in a lifetime choose the best part

Munkustrap

Honorable
Mar 31, 2019
Правильно ли я понял , что если я установлю эти ограничения , то могу не беспокоиться о стабильности и производительности ? В таком случае я сейчас подумываю взять 13700К .
I used Google Translate for this:
"Did I understand correctly that if I set these limits, I don't have to worry about stability and performance? In this case, I am now thinking of taking 13700K."

Ideally, yes.

Jun 23, 2024
I used Google Translate for this:
"Did I understand correctly that if I set these limits, I don't have to worry about stability and performance? In this case, I am now thinking of taking 13700K."

Ideally, yes.
Sorry, I'm using a translator and apparently the wrong thing was inserted by accident. Thanks for the advice, I'll probably take this processor now.