Question Help with upgrading laptop RAM ?

Mar 26, 2023
I have 8 GB 3200 Mhz ddr4 ram soldered in my ThinkPad gen 2 AMD Ryzen 5 laptop. Machine info: Thinkpad E14 20T6
I checked in CPU-Z and it shows channel # 1x 64-bit. Can someone tell me if should I buy 8 GB single channel or 16 GB single channel or 16 GB dual channel? I have one empty slot and can only upgrade once. Please share your input. Sharing the picture of the ram. current ram picture

I have 8 GB 3200 Mhz ddr4 ram soldered in my ThinkPad gen 2 AMD Ryzen 5 laptop. Machine info: Thinkpad E14 20T6
I checked in CPU-Z and it shows channel # 1x 64-bit. Can someone tell me if should I buy 8 GB single channel or 16 GB single channel or 16 GB dual channel? I have one empty slot and can only upgrade once. Please share your input. Sharing the picture of the ram. current ram picture
There is no such thing as single or dual channel RAM, Two sticks of same capacity can work in dual channel mode, However there are RAM with single or dual RANK which is not same thing,
Your first task is to find RAM compatible with soldered RAM and ideally to match it in capacity. Some RAM manufacturers have lists for it,
https://www.crucial.com/compatible-upgrade-for/lenovo/thinkpad-e14-gen-2

Mar 26, 2023
There is no such thing as single or dual channel RAM, Two sticks of same capacity can work in dual channel mode, However there are RAM with single or dual RANK which is not same thing,
Your first task is to find RAM compatible with soldered RAM and ideally to match it in capacity. Some RAM manufacturers have lists for it,
https://www.crucial.com/compatible-upgrade-for/lenovo/thinkpad-e14-gen-2
Crucial is showing 2 options a) 16 Gb b) 8 gb
which option should I go with?
If I purchase 16 gb will that work as dual channel? Because I installed 16 GB Mhz 3200 vengeance and I'm getting blue screen. Moreover, unable to complete memtest.

Crucial is showing 2 options a) 16 Gb b) 8 gb
which option should I go with?
If I purchase 16 gb will that work as dual channel? Because I installed 16 GB Mhz 3200 vengeance and I'm getting blue screen. Moreover, unable to complete memtest.
As I said before, dual channel works best with 2 RAM of same capacity so if you have 16GB of soldered RAM match it with new 16GB stick, From Cruical it would be this one
CT16G4SFRA32A

Mar 26, 2023
As I said before, dual channel works best with 2 RAM of same capacity so if you have 16GB of soldered RAM match it with new 16GB stick, From Cruical it would be this one
CT16G4SFRA32A
I mentioned in the post "I have 8 GB 3200 Mhz ddr4 ram soldered in my ThinkPad "
So I believe better to get 8 Gb 3200 Mhz instead of 16 Gb Mhz.
Correct Mike?

A 16gb upgrade would work for an Intel based laptop.
It would run in "flex" mode where the matching 8gb would run dual channel and the odd 8gb would run in single channel.

Ryzen is very picky about ram so I suspect that you would be better off with one of the 8gb sticks suggested by Crucial. Verify that crucial knows that you have a ryzen processor.

Mar 26, 2023
A 16gb upgrade would work for an Intel based laptop.
It would run in "flex" mode where the matching 8gb would run dual channels and the odd 8gb would run in a single channel.

Ryzen is very picky about ram so I suspect that you would be better off with one of the 8 GB sticks suggested by Crucial. Verify that crucial knows that you have a ryzen processor.
I installed 8 Gb 3200 Mhz recommended by Crucial. I installed 8 Gb on Thursday and then run bios memory test and for that, I got a pass without any error. Now today (Sunday) the laptop stuck and again got the blue screen. Laptop was fine on Friday and Saturday and got a random crash on Sunday.

Mar 26, 2023
Sorry, Yes for dual channel operation 8GB. 16GB all together should be enough
I installed 8 Gb 3200 Mhz recommended by Crucial. I installed 8 Gb on Thursday and then run bios memory test and for that, I got a pass without any error. Now today (Sunday) the laptop stuck and again got the blue screen. Laptop was fine on Friday and Saturday and got a random crash on Sunday.

What might have changed between Fri/Sat when all was well and Sunday.
Noe app or maintenance perhaps.

For a more comprehensive ram test,
Run memtest86 or memtest86+
They boot from a usb stick and do not use windows.
You can download them here:
If you can run a full pass with NO errors, your ram should be ok.

Running several more passes will sometimes uncover an issue, but it takes more time.
Probably not worth it unless you really suspect a ram issue.

Mar 26, 2023
I was using the laptop normally. No update nor any maintenance. I did perform a memory test using bios and haven't found any issues. However, when I was doing the memtest in Windows it passes till %116 and kept going meanwhile my laptop freezes and got a blue screen.
Now I removed the ram and it is working fine. No issue at all.
I used a crucial scanner to purchase a ram still facing the issue. I don't know what brand of memory should I use because I tired 16 gb and 8 gb both failed.

Contact Crucial.
Ram not from the same kit can be subtly different.
I would imagine that they would send you a replacement.
Also check Lenovo support for your laptop.
There may well be a bios update that addresses ram compatibility.
Such updates are common with ryzen motherboards.
CPU-Z will tell you your current bios level.