Help With Video Editing Computer

• Thread starter Deleted member 2720853
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 2720853

Here's my problem, I've got two different computers that I can use for video editing. Ones a 2011 MacBook Pro and the other is an HP Pavillion 500-270 Desktop.

Here's the specs
HP Pavillion 500-270
Upgraded the i3-4330 to an i7-4770 3.4GHz - 3.9 GHz Turbo Quad Core
GPU upgrade from integrated Intel 4400 Graphics to an NVIDIA GTX 1050Ti
1TB Hard Drive
8GB RAM
I added an extra 4 to make it 12 and still wasn't much difference
HP Memphis-S Motherboard with two ports for Ram, only 16GB Supported
Upgraded the 300W PSU to a Large 450W PSU

This computer I got at a garage sale and have slowly upgraded it. Right now I need a computer for video editing and this PC isn't cutting it. Premiere Pro constantly lags, freezes, and stops responding while editing only 1080p music videos. Same thing happens with After Effects. I need to be more efficient with editing it is such a struggle to edit videos that I don't know what to do.

Now the other computer I could use is the 2011 MacBook Pro
Specs: 500GB Hard Drive
4GB Ram (Only goes until 8GB)
2.2GHz Quad Core Intel i7

I need to know if I should try to upgrade one of these, and just buy a entirely new computer altogether

Solution

Why do you want to replace your motherboard? 16GB is plenty for 1080p video editing. Adding more RAM won't help; only having all 16GB in dual-channel will help. To do that get another 8GB stick exactly like the one you have.

And add an SSD with a clean install of Windows. This will give you a speedy system.
You should ensure you have your RAM in dual-channel. Adding 4Gb would at the most only have 8GB in dual-channel with the other 4GB in single-channel; or it would just leave it all in single-channel, which has half the memory bandwidth of dual-channel. I'd recommend getting a second 8GB stick just like the one you have. Sorry you bought 4GB stick.

Adding an SSD for your editing program and to hold the videos you are editing would help a lot. It's best to put Windows on the SSD.

Did you set the editing program to use the GPU?

Last, do you have a lot of background processes running? Be sure you clean up your Windows so you're not using excessive resources. Reinstalling Windows on a new SSD would help.

The HP, when configured properly, should be a lot faster than the 2011 MacBook Pro.

D

Deleted member 2720853

I purposely try to keep no tabs open and close other processes in task manager while in premiere pro and it still lags. So you think I should keep upgrading or just get a new computer like a powerful Dell XPS 15?

D

Deleted member 2720853

Only problem is I'm not sure how to get windows on the SSD. I don't have a disc I bought the PC used

Login to your computer with a Microsoft Account (can be changed in settings) and then link the Windows activation to your Microsoft Account (also in settings).

Download Windows 10 from Microsoft via the Media Creation Tool and create a bootable USB drive. Install it to the new SSD, and login with your Microsoft Account to activate Windows again.

D

Deleted member 2720853

Hey Volkgren, I've made my decision to stick to the PC I have now and I'm willing to spend money on upgrading a lot more. My HP Pavillion 500-270 Stock Memphis-S motherboard only has 2 slots and is capable of holding 16GB of ram. I also know that it can't handle more than my i7-4770 that it has, which eventually I'd like to upgrade to something way more powerful. Is there another motherboard I could get?

D

Deleted member 2720853

I also have an HP EliteDesk 800 G1 SSF with a motherboard that can handle the i7-4770(I got the card out of this PC for my pavillion) but the motherboard is also an older basic HP one. I'm not really able to find it online and I'm not sure what CPU upgrades it can do, but it does have 4 slots and capabilities to hold up to 64GB of ram. I think my Memphis-S in my pavillion is still stronger though, it seems to be more expensive online. Not sure if i should try to use the EliteDesk Motherboard with my Pavillion or get a newer and cooler motherboard all together

D

Deleted member 2720853

I already have the old motherboard that supports 64GB Ram that I listed in the picture. All I need to know is if you think it would be worthwhile to use it instead of my Memphis-s

Why do you want to replace your motherboard? 16GB is plenty for 1080p video editing. Adding more RAM won't help; only having all 16GB in dual-channel will help. To do that get another 8GB stick exactly like the one you have.

And add an SSD with a clean install of Windows. This will give you a speedy system.

Solution