Help with VMU downloads from Dreamkey browser

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.sega,alt.games.video.sega-dreamcast (More info?)

Currently I have many VMU files archived at SegaFans, and since I live
in the US, I tested them with the Planetweb browser and they seem to
work just fine.

However, I just had someone from the UK ask me why the downloads didn't
work in their Dreamkey browser.

So I popped in Chu Chu Rocket to test it out and sure enough, it doesn't
work. It just opens the file like a regular text file.

I know with planetweb, you need to link to the VMI and have the VMS file
in the same folder. But does anyone know how to set up VMU files so
that Dreamkey can download them?

Thanks for your help!

benstylus wrote:
> Currently I have many VMU files archived at SegaFans, and since I live
> in the US, I tested them with the Planetweb browser and they seem to
> work just fine.
>
> However, I just had someone from the UK ask me why the downloads didn't
> work in their Dreamkey browser.
>
> So I popped in Chu Chu Rocket to test it out and sure enough, it doesn't
> work. It just opens the file like a regular text file.
>
> I know with planetweb, you need to link to the VMI and have the VMS file
> in the same folder. But does anyone know how to set up VMU files so
> that Dreamkey can download them?
>
> Thanks for your help!

The Dreamkey browser is more "correct" in that it relies on the
MIME-type of the download instead of just the extension. Make sure the
browser is saying that the VMI is of type
application/x-dreamcast-vms-info and the VMS is of type
application/x-dreamcast-vms.

-- CE

CE wrote:

> The Dreamkey browser is more "correct" in that it relies on the
> MIME-type of the download instead of just the extension. Make sure the
> browser is saying that the VMI is of type
> application/x-dreamcast-vms-info and the VMS is of type
> application/x-dreamcast-vms.
>
> -- CE

Thanks for your help. I added those to my .htaccess file and it works
perfectly.