[SOLVED] HELP: Year long problem, random reboot, no bsod, running out of ideas.

Sep 15, 2019
For the past year my system has been having an issue where it will randomly reboot itself with no warning, complete black screen for about 2 seconds followed by a reboot. It has been doing it on and off, went for a period of about 3 months where it didn't do it at all, just recently it has started to do it constantly, up to 4 times a day.

It's very difficult to string together the reboots. sometimes it will be completely random when I'm doing something very low intensity. Often it will happen when I'm gaming, and sometimes it will happen twice in a row as soon as the computer has restarted itself and finished loading up all the startup programs.

When looking into the event viewer it gives me a kernel-power error, event ID 41. The details of this event also show next to nothing.

one of my first thoughts were to do with the connections in my PC, so i checked all of those which seemed to be secure, however the problem still persisted. Next i moved to my power supply. I have completely replaced the power supply with a new one, during which my second hard drive broke, which led me to assume this could have also been the culprit. However even replacing the power supply and all its cables it still powers off randomly. I'm now thinking it may be an issue with the motherboard, but i would really like to find a way to isolate the problem to see if it is this so i don't end up replacing the motherboard for no reason, which would be a huge pain. I have also checked all the thermals whilst i have been doing things such as gaming and they are at a steady and reasonable temperature.

In terms of software, all my drivers are up to date and the issue has been happening for so long that i doubt it is a software problem, but it may well be.

If anybody has any advice or suggestions including software i can download to detect whats causing the problem or tests i can run on my hardware it would be greatly appreciated.

A spec list of my PC below:
Gigabyte NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti GAMING OC 11G

intel i7 8700k (not overclocked)

Asus prime z370-p

Corsair CMK16GX4M2B3000C15 Vengeance LPX 16 GB DDR4 3000 MHz
(2 x 8gb)

EVGA 750GC

NZXT Kraken X62 280mm

WD Black WDS512G1X0C 512 GB

Solution
Is your system on a UPS of adequate power source?

Are you perhaps plugged into an outlet where the AC kicking on causes a slight brownout? (Maybe you can test running with a UPS of sufficient wattage)

Naturally, your PSU can be a suspect...(Any PSU can fail) (If your GPU were drawing too much power for the PSU, perhaps the rig would be stable running off of just integrated graphics? If the reboots only happen under gaming loads, PSU or GPU could be more likely)

Within Control Panel/System/Advanced System Settings/Startup and Recovery, under System Failure, UNCHECK 'automatically restart'....

Perhaps your spontaneous reboots could simply be a RAM error leading to an undisplayed blue screen sort of event...
Have you been having this problem for the most part, in some form or another, since building the system or did it work normally for a period of time and then begin to have problems?

If so, how long after you built the system did you start having problems? ANY kind of problems.

Is your motherboard BIOS up to date?

Have you downloaded and installed the latest chipset drivers from the Intel website for the Z370 chipset your motherboard uses?

Have you checked the product page for your motherboard to see if there are newer drivers available for your LAN/Ethernet network adapter and Audio chipset?

Was your Windows installation from before this system was built or was it a completely from scratch, clean install, after building the system?

Assuming your are using Windows 10, have you done a clean install at any point since building the system, to mitigate some of the accumulated cruft from several spring and fall major system updates?

How old, actually, is your system AND your Windows installation?

No, there is no "magic" software that you can download and run that will self diagnose your system for you. If there was, there would be no need for repair technicians or help forums like this one.

Sep 15, 2019
Have you been having this problem for the most part, in some form or another, since building the system or did it work normally for a period of time and then begin to have problems?

If so, how long after you built the system did you start having problems? ANY kind of problems.

Is your motherboard BIOS up to date?

Have you downloaded and installed the latest chipset drivers from the Intel website for the Z370 chipset your motherboard uses?

Have you checked the product page for your motherboard to see if there are newer drivers available for your LAN/Ethernet network adapter and Audio chipset?

Was your Windows installation from before this system was built or was it a completely from scratch, clean install, after building the system?

Assuming your are using Windows 10, have you done a clean install at any point since building the system, to mitigate some of the accumulated cruft from several spring and fall major system updates?

How old, actually, is your system AND your Windows installation?

No, there is no "magic" software that you can download and run that will self diagnose your system for you. If there was, there would be no need for repair technicians or help forums like this one.
I have been having the problem from about 6 months after building the system. This is the only problem i have encountered since building the system.

I have not checked the BIOS, downloaded latest chipset drivers or checked for newer drivers available for the LAN/Ethernet network adapter and Audio chipset. I will do all of these and see if it makes a difference

The Windows installation was completely from scratch after building the system. I have not done a clean install at any point since building the system, and yes i am using Windows 10.

My system is now almost exactly 18 months old.

In terms of software i was only wondering if there was some sort of third party event veiwer or something else that would provide more information upon a crash.

Thank you for the response!

Sep 15, 2019
Are your memory modules installed in the 2nd and 4th slots from the CPU, going left to right towards the edge of the motherboard?

Did you buy the graphics card new? Is it installed in the primary x16 slot which is the longest slot closest to the CPU socket or another slot?

Have you tried reseating the card and it's connections? I'm sure you have, but I have to ask.

Is your system on a UPS of adequate power source?

Are you perhaps plugged into an outlet where the AC kicking on causes a slight brownout? (Maybe you can test running with a UPS of sufficient wattage)

Naturally, your PSU can be a suspect...(Any PSU can fail) (If your GPU were drawing too much power for the PSU, perhaps the rig would be stable running off of just integrated graphics? If the reboots only happen under gaming loads, PSU or GPU could be more likely)

Within Control Panel/System/Advanced System Settings/Startup and Recovery, under System Failure, UNCHECK 'automatically restart'....

Perhaps your spontaneous reboots could simply be a RAM error leading to an undisplayed blue screen sort of event...

Solution