browserz

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2011
Don't know where i should post this so i thought i'd post here:

I'm in need of a new computer system since my power supply blew out on me.

What i have:

Q6600 processor
450GT video card
500gb HDD
DVD drive

What i need:

A new case
A new power supply
new RAM

I'd like to reuse my old stuff, so the motherboard would have to support everything that i currently have
and i don't want to use too weak of a power supply, that's how my old one went bad on me.
the case can be ugly for all i care. I'd like something that works, but stays as low money as possible.
I made a post on here before but since then the motherboard i found is out of stock.

I'd like to keep the 3 things that i need to buy as close to 200 as possible.

browserz

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2011
Oh... Right. I'm going to need a new motherboard too, that's why i wanted to ask then community since i don't know which motherboard to pick and don't want to buy the wrong one and not be able to use my old processor and video card and stuff..

If your old motherboard still works, you are better off keeping it, along with your old memory. The Q6600 is still a pretty good performer, particularly when overclocked, but it does not make sense putting a lot of money into an obsolete platform.

There are very few new LGA775 motherboards available. I happen to prefer Gigabyte motherboards. Here is all that is available from newegg:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007627%2050001314%20600007879&IsNodeId=1&name=GIGABYTE

browserz

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2011
My old motherboard still works, but buying a new power supply for my current setup would cost me around 150, since i have a really small case. i'm using the shuttle sg33g5 i think. so i figure i might as well buy a new case motherboard powersupply and ram for around the same price, maybe a little more

Thanks for the find on that motherboard! Now can i just find a really cheap case, and any power supply and it'll work out? How much W should i be looking for to power this setup? The power supply that came with the shuttle was 250W and apparently my 450gt needs that much power by itself.. i didn't do my research when i was buying a new one and that killed it.