Here’s How We Booted Windows 10 in 4.9 Seconds (Now, Beat Us)

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RohanWillAnswer

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2012
"We got our fastest result with a single, 4GB DIMM, which is less RAM than anyone should use in 2018".

Isn't RAM-check a feature that would slow down startup given more RAM?

brunis

Reputable
Apr 20, 2018
I can boot BeOS in under 1 second on an old ATA HD with a 75mhz pentium and then watch it wipe the floor with this wannabe OS.

brunis

Reputable
Apr 20, 2018
My pc comes back from standby in 0,5 seconds, standby power is the same as turning it off, cause ATX PSU's are never off. So why shut down windows at all?

cat1092

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2009

If you own newer hardware with any type of SSD, be it a 2.5", mSATA, M.2 (SATA-3) or NVMe, it's best to shutdown Windows, or not hibernate, because in doing so causes massive writes to the drive. This can be accomplished by opening CMD as Administrator & type (or copy/paste) powercfg -h off, then hit Enter. That's all it is to dumping FastBoot on Windows. However, that doesn't disable the option in BIOS, where one cannot hit the 'F2' or whatever key fast enough to get into the UEFI interface (if enabled). In this case, must reboot Windows in the mode which allows for Boot to UEFI (or similar wording) & can make the change. This isn't necessary unless one wants to boot from a USB stick or DVD & won't cause unnecessary wear & tear on machine, like FastBoot or hybrid sleep on Windows does.

However, one can use the Sleep option (loading the OS into RAM, no harm done to the drive. Most RAM OEM's offers a Lifetime warranty (unless a OEM machine), so they'll replace modules when defective. Not the same warranty for any type of SSD, the closest is the Samsung 850 Pro with 10 years & if not mistaken, there's a SanDisk with the same. Most others are 5 years or less, as long as the TBW isn't reached first. Under normal conditions, even hard gaming, will one reach these limits, as long as one purchases a decent brand SSD.

There are several 'Tier 2' brands which has a lesser warranty, slower & allows for less TBW, usually are 480GB & under which are less than $100. Some 120GB models as low as $29.99 on promo (Newegg). While these are OK for upgrading a SATA-2 based computer which will (likely) see limited usage, it's best to otherwise purchase a 950 Pro (if can be found) or better. MyDigitalSSD has some NVMe offerings that matches the performance, warranty & exceed TBW versus most Samsung models. I have both their BPX (PCIe 3.0 x4 & now BPX PRO (PCIe 3.1 x4), offered on their site, or Amazon. Note that the 1TB version isn't available on Amazon, have to purchase from MyDigitalDiscount direct. The 1TB size is becoming known known as the 970 EVO Killer!:bounce:

Cat

danno8

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2012
The Fast startup you are talking about is built into windows 10 and is, as you say, mainly for people with hdd. It doesn't help on ssd.

That's not true though. I was looking at removing fast boot since it seemed to make little sense on an SSD boot drive, and SSD can still be pretty small these days. My OS boots on a SM 860 EVO 500GB and with Windows Fast Boot enabled, using a stopwatch started at hitting the power button on my tower it takes 22 seconds to get to usable desktop. I shut down and performed the test 3 times altogether with the same result each time.

Then I disabled Fast Boot using the "powercfg /hibernate off", shut down and rebooted the same way; hit stop watch at same time as tower power button. To my surprise my boot time went up to 50 seconds using the same criteria. Repeated the process twice more and it was the same result. 50 seconds each time.

I was surprised that Windows would take so long to simply load system files from scratch given the seek times of an SSD, but I guess there is more going on under the hood with a clean boot than with a fast boot.

Either way SSD users should be aware that you will indeed get a much faster boot time using Windows Fast Boot, mine being less than half of a normal boot (YMMV of course).

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS