News Here's Pcie 4.0 Actually Working on Intel Rocket Lake-S Platform

JayNor

Reputable
May 31, 2019
I don't recall ever seeing a roadmap for Comet Lake that included PCIE4 on it. What is the source of this claim that Intel had it in the design, then removed it?

InvalidError

Titan
I don't recall ever seeing a roadmap for Comet Lake that included PCIE4 on it. What is the source of this claim that Intel had it in the design, then removed it?
The most obvious tell-tale sign that PCIe4 was planned for Comet Lake is that LGA1200 motherboards have PCIe4 re-drivers on them across a good subset of the product stack. Had PCIe4 never been planned for Comet Lake, most motherboard manufacturers wouldn't have bothered with the unnecessary added expense on anything besides premium SKUs until Rocket Lake boards.

It was planned and cut too late for motherboard manufacturers to remove support from completed designs.

spongiemaster

Admirable
Dec 12, 2019
Comet Lake was never supposed to support PCIE4, but the 1200 motherboards were supposed to support it for Rocket Lake. So you could buy Comet Lake now and if you upgraded to RL later you would get PCIE4. Now, despite Z490 boards supporting RL, it looks like if you want PCIE4 support with your RL CPU, you're going to need a Z590 board or whatever the next series will be called. Makes Z490 boards less attractive.