Here's The Roadmap For 'Star Citizen' Update 3.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Update 3.0 is gona be epic! For anybody who isn't playing Star Citizen anymore, I highly recommend you wait and play update 3.0. They are going to fix plenty of the bugs that you might of encountered in previous patches, including ejecting out of the spacecraft when exiting a pilot seat or turret.

Not to mention that all the FPS issues were having should be pretty much gone. We should get close to the same frame rates as every other high end game is capable of.

WildCard999

Titan

I've been looking at this game for about a month now and looks quite good. The only other space game I've been playing for about 6 months is Elite Dangerous and it's losing its luster. The FPS combat seems really good in Star Citizen.

It is. It's a lot more realistic than other FPS games.

alextheblue

Distinguished

I'll believe it when I see it. My current theory on Star Citizen is that it will run at high framerates with no hiccups by launch... by virtue of more powerful hardware being available in 2021.

Glock24

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2014
I haven't played SC in about a year, maybe it's time to usage a look a it again.

On a side note, I was the images are visible on this article using Firefox on Android, I thought the big read fixed, but in any other article the images are still not visible. Strange.

ddpruitt

Honorable
Jun 4, 2012
I don't know why people still get excited by this. The game has basically been stuck in development hell for years. I keep wanting to buy in because I love space sims but Star Citizen has basically become all about selling hype. It used to be $35 buy in to get most of the game, now they want $40 for a single module or $55 for a couple of modules. Now they have a subscription service where you're basically paying to be an alpha tester. They've blown so many deadlines and have yet to actually launch anything other than test sandboxes I don't think they'll finish the game.

We always complain about EA, Activision, etc and preorders, what about holding companies like RSI accountable instead of promoting vaporware?

@DDPRUITT, what your saying isn't really accurate... the $40 starter pack gets you full access to the alpha and the finished mmo. CIG have also clearly stated that all ships will be available in game without additional purchases beyond that. They stopped selling passes for the various alpha modules over a year ago.

The add on package you mention is for the separate, single player game squadron 42, which should be out long before the mmo is finished. As for the subscription, that funds the weekly content shows and isn't required for the game. Subscribers get some decorative items and a free ship to test each month (note you can rent ships using an in game currency called rec which is pretty easy to earn).

The game also has some nice features as is imo. I can understand people being sceptical, it's taking a while, still I think it's worth reserving judgement until alpha 3 is released.

CleanInternet

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2015
Squadron 42 Chapter 1 (solo) is planned mid-2018 and Satar Citizen (MMO) currently in Alpha is released per modules (Arena Commander, Star Marine, PU) with big patch (SC 3.0 by end of June 2017. Backers are there to test/play not to play a finished game.
So far a great journey since 2013 and we are coming closer for serious contents in 2017/2018.

The best 45$ "invested" in my PC players career :)

Tobias_B

Prominent
Apr 19, 2017
Well 3.0 will be the update for the public that will show where they like to take the game. But it will be a buggy experience. So much new epic tech will be added at the same time. But the fps fix are going to be so so nice.

ddpruitt

Honorable
Jun 4, 2012

You might want to check the available packs again, they've changed. $40 used to get you everything. As of right now there's a $45 pack that gets you squadron 42 and doesn't mention getting anything else, and another set of of $45 packs that get you Star Citizen plus a few things for that game. To get both you have to spend a minimum of $60. I know some people like it, but I don't feel like paying $60 for an alpha project.

They've promised things end of 2015, end of 2016, end of 2017 and everything they've release has been missing features. So when it comes to reserving judgement I think we have plenty to go on.

John_561

Commendable
Dec 7, 2016
Chapter one of SQ42's stated original release date was January of 2014...Mind you, that's chapter ONE of a single-player game version of this that's four years late. Last time I watched someone stream it on twitch (a couple of weeks ago) it was *cricket noises* ummm. But hey...GL! RSI gets all the advertising it needs from websites like this. Maybe it's time to cut the cord on that.

Sorry you are correct the base pack is $45 for Star Citizen (not $40)- that gets you everything you need for the main game. SQ42 is a separate game (story driven, happens in a different- earlier timeline, not required for the mmo at all but more for old Wing Commander fans like me).

No issue if you don't want to back- just be aware that what is already there is pretty impressive imo. It's just taking a lot longer than they planned. Still, 300+ developers over 3 countries says they are working on it (if it really is some elaborate scam- well that's not a very efficient way to steal everyone's money lets be honest now).

What I would say- every few months CIG do a 'free fly'- where you can download and try everything that is currently playable with a a selection of ships they make freely available, usually for 1 week. If you are genuinely interested in the project and have a reasonably up to date pc (I'm guessing you do if your a Toms reader) then it's definitely worth a look for the price of free. As with anything though I think it's best not to buy into early access titles unless you are absolutely certain- personally I've only ever had good experiences, although then again I am a product development engineer and I'm somewhat more realistic about whats achievable than most 'gamers'. All the early access titles I've followed have over reached, usually resulting in some controversy. I just take the position of keeping my investment in such titles modest so in the event the project does collapse I'm not losing much.

I think the issue is the game they originally pitched for (with a $2 mil budget) isn't the game they are building now. Yeah it's late, but it's also a much more complex, much much larger game. The original idea was to make Wing Commander with modern graphics (which could be achieved on base Cry Engine as it would only require small maps with loading screens in between). That isn't what they are building now though- even the Squadron is getting planetary landings and open world elements (the idea being you can choose your own missions in certain parts like some other games). Also whilst it's only part 1 of a trilogy, it is a full title rather than a short 'episode'. To give an idea on length the script is apparently 3x the length of the longest Wing Commander game, WC4- so it's gong to provide a lot of content as / when it gets released. I guess there's a possibility the whole project could collapse but that looks very unlikely atm.

As for there not being many followers on Twitch, well they are in the middle of a long slog to the next major content patch, so not much new to see right now. I just hope people will give the game a fair shot when it comes out- I get the impression there are a lot of people who would just *love* to see it collapse so they can say 'I told you so'- whereas to me that strikes me as rather a hollow victory. The end result being the most ambitious PC specific game ever attempted failed and we just end up with a continual stream of COD clones and little else.

They have said (thankfully) that there will be automated methods for loading larger ships. I can't imagine loading an entire container ship sized freighter would be all that great if you had to do it 1 box at a time :p

The main advantage of a: Having cargo actually on your ship (rather than a line on an inventory) and b: being able to manipulate is it gives so many options for game play that aren't possible in other space sims. You can actually pull a heist for example, whilst the fact you have to actually *go in and get the items you're after* mean the crew of the target ship can attempt to respond. It could be really good, or it might just turn out to be the most laborious idea ever in game development but only one way to find out :p

Joe_235

Prominent
Apr 20, 2017
Sorry have to agree, SQ42 is taking way longer then they let on. To make matters worse they always say it will be out next year. Google search it, its always next year. Bring up pages from 2014 and they say 2015, 2015 pages say 2016, last year it was 2017 now its 2018.... you get the point. I'm getting a stinking feeling my 35 buck by in 2 years ago was a rip.

I am 100% certain if nothing else CIG will get SQ42 out the door as a finished product. How good it will be and when is another matter of course.

Personally I think it'l be good, as Chris and Erin Roberts have never made a bad single player space sim between them, although the plots / dialogue do tend to be a bit cringe worthy in places, overall they have all been great fun to play though. The MMO is more risky- obviously they'll get something out, it's just I don't think we'll see anywhere near the full 90+ systems promised by the 'launch' version which will undoubtedly result in a massive **** storm irrespective of how good / bad the actual content is.

haggismaninca

Reputable
Jan 12, 2015
Anyone know if there will be any VR support in 3.0?
Elite Dangerous is good in VR, but this would be awesome in VR if they can pull it off.

Nothing yet- they have got Track IR support working, but no official support for VR headsets. I've heard it is possible to make it kinda work with 3rd party software. It is planned, just not for quite a while I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS