Here's What You'll Be Missing After Upgrading To Windows 10

Status
Not open for further replies.

Achoo22

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2011
Wait.... Windows 10 Home forces users to download and install updates the moment they are pushed? There's no option to review or dismiss updates?

3ogdy

Distinguished
"Windows Media Center will no longer be part of the Windows platform."

"If you have Windows 7 Home Premium, Windows 7 Professional, Windows 7 Ultimate, Windows 8 Pro with Media Center, or Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center and you install Windows 10, Windows Media Center will be removed,"

"Windows 7 customers will see the removal of desktop gadgets and Microsoft's games suite, which includes Solitaire, Minesweeper and Hearts."

They call it progress. Got me wondering why.

Caanis Lupus

Reputable
Dec 24, 2014
Native dvd support...what about native support for BluRay and later 4K/UHD discs? Using CyberLink PowerDVD for BluRay playback.

g-unit1111

Titan

I doubt you'll be seeing that any time soon. 4K discs are pretty much a luxury at this point and optical drives are going the way of the dodo, streaming is taking over whether you like it or not. I can't imagine Microsoft would want to waste time on that.

Interesting, and here I thought they would be adding Blueray playback to WMP, not removing the program all together. I use VLC player for everything but Blueray, which I bought Nero Platinum for (otherwise the standard Nero is all I'd need). I really do not understand why MS feels the need to remove features in the name of "progress". While these are not major changes, it does make it a bit of a hassle for those that just want things to work "out-of-the-box".

There probably will be an option. I doubt they would force updates on home users.

Businesses however can't afford for that. They need to be able to control the updates more closely unlike home users. They have very expensive software that can't be down because of a single rouge update.

The last time Microsoft tried to make everything work out of the box they got sued by the FTC for being a monopoly and not too long ago fined by the European Union and forced to remove Windows Media Player from Windows 7 and up and as well offer options of browsers over IE from their competitors.

They consider it unfair for Microsoft to make Windows just work out of the box. I don't think Microsoft could handle being sued again for trying to make it work out of the box.

As for blu-ray, Cyberlink is better than Nero and usually has less junk with it. I have seen a few "free" apps but I haven't found anything I like better than CyberLink.

@jimmysmitty - I use Nero for several things, I like the video converter and burning software. I just recently started using the photo editing portion and I occasionally use the audio portions. For me and my uses, Nero works great as an all in one solution. I was ticked off when I bought my bluray burner only to find that my version of Nero at the time would burn a bluray, but not play it. Have to get the platinum version for playback. I got it on sale for $29.95, so went ahead with it.

I knew of the browser lawsuits and fines, however, I hadn't heard of anything about WMP being a problem.

Yep, I personally use VLC on one of my Win10 preview PCs.

However, I prefer having the DVD playback built directly into the OS. So when your sitting down to eat and watch a dvd, you don't have to wait to install VLC off the web.

Personally, I prefer a leaner, less bloated OS, as I use 3rd-party apps for my music, video and my photo viewing needs. I also prefer using 3rd-party security software. I think most feel the same as I do and Microsoft understands that. I won't miss the card games, either! Never played them anyway. :p

Hopefully W10 will makes us all happy! Hopefully!

If it works for what you need that's great. I just meant for blu-ray playback CyberLink has been the best I have used. Even allows me to stream videos from my phone to my TV via my HTPC.

That said: http://arstechnica.com/uncategorized/2004/12/4480-2/

The EU is not very happy when you make it work out of the box, unless you are Apple who seems to be fine with having Quicktime built into OSX.

PaulBags

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2015
I'd far prefer they release dx12 for windows 7.

Would love an answer re forced updates. Also on pricing. And is UEFI a requirement, it's earlier been mentioned as one but not here.

I'll wait awhile after release and see how others get on.

greenmachineiijh

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2005
I feel the opposite of a lot on here posting. I never (rarely unless by accident) use Windows Media player, rarely use the gadgets (not that they are critical for ANYTHING), or their games... Really? What is the big concern? Microsoft makes operating systems, not multi-media applications or mediocre passing time games. They are removing a few small pieces within their company that create free items to concentrate on what is their core business. Most of the population use some other application besides the default for these types of things anyway, and Microsoft knows that. This frees up Microsoft to concentrate on their bread and butter, AN OS that won't suck like the last one. Users can get free versions of media players, games and what not with little effort that work better with more compatibility anyway.

There is a reason to this "free upgrade" business, which will become apparent shortly after the OS launch. No one gives away something for free or offer additional features for nothing...

owens

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2008
Are you 100% sure about DVD playback? I just read on microsoft's website that a DVD playback app will be implemented to replace Windows Media Center.

Well if you got the pattern of the article, Microsoft are taking out older apps which are now optional via the app store.

Status
Not open for further replies.