Here's What's Coming in Next Week's Xbox One Update

Status
Not open for further replies.

antilycus

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2006
They are making Titanfall for a Console? Weird. I am going to be running it on a Linux box running a GPU Passthrough Windows VM... I do find it ironic that to make Windows work best, I have to use Linux for it's thread and memory management.

Sep 22, 2013
February’s update will hit your console in less than one week. Come February 11, you’ll be able to see and manage your storage space as well as control your install lineup and download queue. This means you can shift things around based on your preferences and what you want to play first. You can also create separate queues for My Games and My Apps because the spring update will see them separated into two lists. Microsoft has also added a boot progress indicator to make the tracking of updates that little bit clearer.It’s handy to know how much juice is left in your controller. A quick glance at the home screen will tell you just that thanks to the return of the power indicator.
So, wait, let me get this straight: so now I can see how much storage space my Xboner has, I can create "playlists" of my games, and how much power is left in my controller?

So... all features that have been around pretty much since the dawn of computers? These aren't features, they're basic essentials. This is the equivalent to bringing food and a tent when you go hiking."Xboner: Now with power indicator and storage limit display!"

And it still doesn't have USB storage support? WTF, MS?

Admittedly, I've been eyeing a PS4 since the announcement, so maybe I'm just out of the loop with Xboner, but the more I hear about it the worse it sounds.

My real guess on what REALLY happened with Xboner is that they weren't ready to launch, hadn't finished the OS, hadn't even finalized the hardware spec and got completely blind-sided by Sony. I've heard rumors from a pretty solid source that 2015 was the target launch date and that the Xboner had been pretty much set on the sidelines in terms of R&D until they got wind in February of last year that Sony was about to announce the PS4. Supposedly, there was no internal budget to continue development.

At this point, even a real feature upgrade isn't anywhere near enough to justify paying $500 for this over the hardware-superior PS4. Even if we add on the PS Eye, the price still makes more sense. It's not even a decision; both systems will have Titanfall, which is supposed to be the biggest game launch of the year. Think about it, MS fanboys who are also PC gamers: would you spend $500 on a weaker PC that did EXACTLY the same thing, only in a worse way? No.

PS - HEY, TOM'S - Your site is still removing spacing and formatting when using the comments form in Chrome and on mobile Safari.

sirskeetsalot2013

Honorable
Oct 10, 2013
Laugh at Christopher post. "both systems will have Titanfall, which is supposed to be the biggest game launch of the year."You're just as dumb as I figured.Indeed, it sounds like Titanfall as a debut game will remain a Microsoft-platform exclusive, but the future of the franchise -- once Respawn is no longer a "startup" -- may make its way to PS4. The studio head added, "Of course we will [make PlayStation 4 games], just not the first Titanfall."There you have it. Titanfall 1, not coming to PS4. Sequels? Totally possible. "Exclusive at launch," mind, refers to the first game, and not the future of the series.During its quarterly earnings call today, EA squashed recent rumors about Titanfall coming to PlayStation 4. CFO Blake Jorgensen emphasized that Titanfall "is exclusive only for the lifetime of the title on Xbox One, Xbox 360, and PC."Source, http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/10/29/titanfall-an-xbox-one-360-pc-exclusive-for-its-lifetime.good-day fanboy troll. Least Know your facts.

alextheblue

Distinguished
So, wait, let me get this straight: so now I can see how much storage space my Xboner has, I can create "playlists" of my games, and how much power is left in my controller?<SNIP>PS - HEY, TOM'S - Your site is still removing spacing and formatting when using the comments form in Chrome and on mobile Safari.
They've made it easier to see battery life at a glance. I'm also pretty sure they're not talking about "playlists", they're talking about being able to move things around in your queue so you can prioritize a particular game if you've queued up a bunch of downloads and installs. Like if you set games A, B, and C to download, and game D to install off disc, and then decided to download game E - but you want to play E as soon as possible. Move it to the top of the queue. They do have a ways to go, software wise. But they're not in a bad starting position, really. I know a couple people who have one.

I personally am waiting on a couple of things I'd like to see on both the new systems. First off, good USB storage support. I'd like to be able to slap a big 7200RPM drive in an aluminum external enclosure and install games to it. Second, backwards compatibility. I don't care if it's the rumored upcoming streaming... something is better than nothing. I won't use it for FPS. Offline emulation seems out of reach for the current units, so short of an add-on module, steaming is the best we'll get.

Oh, and I have seen issues with spacing/formatting on Opera too. So maybe it's Webkit-related, Chrome still has a lot of Webkit code, being a fork and all.

bigj1985

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2010
Who would want to play Titanfall on the Xbone?? So you can enjoy crappy sub HD 720 Pee visuals?? It's funny the Xbone is the inferior system to play its so called "exclusive" Lol.

JOSHSKORN

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
I was at work earlier today reading Christopher Shaffer's comment LOLing. Did he invent that "Xboner" term all by himself? Funny. Anyway, a lot of what he said, I agree with. I basically wish this February update, whatever it has involved, came at launch. Better late than never. Microsoft is really shooting themselves in the feet though by not allowing external storage at this point, or not allowing us to upgrade the HDDs without voiding our warranties.

NightLight

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2004
it's funny to see how ps4 fanboys are really so envious that they have nothing better to do then knock on the xbox. clearly, msft has made a superior console, ps4 -> only games, wich is not enough these days. but still, pc ftw!

excella1221

Honorable
Aug 23, 2012
it's funny to see how ps4 fanboys are really so envious that they have nothing better to do then knock on the xbox. clearly, msft has made a superior console, ps4 -> only games, wich is not enough these days. but still, pc ftw!
Yeah, 'cause you know... we like paying a subscription to make other subscriptions work! Other than Kinect voice commands, what 'feature' exactly does the X1 have that you don't yet? Sure as hell an internal cable box isn't one of them.

maxumus79

Honorable
Feb 6, 2014
Some simple bug or user fixes would be nice such as 1. using xbox guide for non HD channels no filters work if ask ask xbox to go to coedy central it always picks HD lineup no matter what filter 2. Added my suround sound system to TV devices butcant remove it (move it to other room bigger tv) if any one knows how i would appreciate it does not seem intuative to figure out. 3. completely closing a app or game (not too important like being able to instantly switch from netflix to a current playing game) 4. Sepperating games i have from games they want me to "look at" "sell" bla blah i know there is not a lot of games but dont different screens up with same stuff 5. bing search to work like bing internet search xbox one does have web browser right, bing xbox one search just goes to a selling page the same pages apps games movies i keep seeing in other pages i navigate through. 6. sepperating friends online from every other friend not intuative at all more steps then prev gen 360. 7. full twitch steaminging like ps4 (ps4 version is impressive) 8. full follow thru with voice commands most xbox one voice commands in apps only go so far ( i know its up to app programers etc) but if you as xbox one push customers to buy kenect with console (no choice) i expect you xbox to "push" game makers app makers to include kenect commands or some type of advantage over non kenect apps of simular design.Thas my two cents in two weeks i have had the xbox one (i lot of potental but almost below 360 as far as a system especially since most games are avaliable for 360, my advice is if money is tight and your set on a xbox wait till next gen games come like "tom clancy Division", Shadow of Modor", "titan fall" so on what i seen on ps4 very close what ever you chose wait till it gets cheaper and xbox one get bug or std ability it had on 360 fixed

Sep 22, 2013

This isn't zero-day, and I'm a PC gamer. [strike]But because of that, I'm smart enough to see how much more superior PS4 hardware is.[/strike]
I realized this came off as arrogant; what I meant was because of PC hardware knowledge, it's clear to me which system has superior hardware; it's a matter of technical specifications, not opinion.

Yeah, but download queue control is again a pretty basic option. It was also available on PS3, and could be done, though in a clumsy way on 360, too.

Also, on another note, I was wrong - I was thinking of Destiny, for some reason. That said, I'll be playing Titanfall on PC, anyway.

What, if anything at all, is superior on the Xboner? (and yes, I'm going to keep calling it that forever)

People seem to still have the same mentality from 360 vs. PS3 that carried over: PS3 games aren't as good or better, even with superior hardware because the system is hard to develop for. This is no longer the case. Development for PS4 is effectively the same as a PC; devs have confirmed that development is simple, even maybe easier than it was on 360.

The hardware is undeniably superior in PS4. It isn't a fanboy opinion. I'm a PC gamer, and I don't own a PS4, just so we're clear. In fact, the last console I owned was a 360, but I've also owned a PS3, both mostly for their exclusives.
When I say it isn't an opinion, that's simply a fact: the hardware in PS4 is more powerful on a technical level than the Xboner, it's literally that simple. Whether devs exploit this capability to the benefit of better games and/or graphics is yet to be seen.

We haven't even seen a true next-gen title yet.

The hate for Xboner is MS-created. They made some bad marketing decisions, ignored popular culture (which would have made it clear that an always-on camera and mic was a terrible idea), eliminated features and then they keep back pedaling on the system's capabilities and calling it "upgrading" or "unlocking" when the reality is that they simply were unprepared.

I'm going to predict right now that within a year or so we see a system revision that updates the hardware to a closer spec of the PS4 and they drop the price on the launch system to $350 while asking $600 for the upgraded version.

HKILLER

Honorable
Jan 8, 2013
Think about it, MS fanboys who are also PC gamers: would you spend $500 on a weaker PC that did EXACTLY the same thing, only in a worse way?
Laughable....just go back play with your "Peasant Station". What was even more hilarious was when you considered your delusional Brain as "SOLID SOURCE". I can completely see that you just spent time to making up this comment.1st you said "My real guess...bla bla bla"then you said "Heard Rumors From a PRETTY SOLID SOURCE"!you just made up an unreal source for your imaginary states to make em more acceptable.you might think I'm a Xbox Fan but I'm a PC gamer i view both of those as Garbage!and while you stated PC gamers are MS and Xbox fan boys a few comment later you mentioned you are a PC gamer yourself and PC and PS4 development are pretty much the same.so what OS do you use MAC?are you an iZombie?or just cuz you stated PS4 is pretty much a PC you think you are a PC gamer?are they really the same?can i open a PS4 and install a GTX 770 on it?oh yeah i remembered the only part that you can change inside it is the hard drive.does that makes it on par with a PC?P.S: now i know my comment would actually get a lot of minus points but i just wanted to show you how arrogant and childish you are.

p05esto

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2001
When can I browse my home DLNA server to play back movies on X1? I thought this thing was supposed to be a multimedia device? It can't even do DLNA.... wtf? Wow it has Netflix.... gotta buy it, lol. Seriously MS, hurry up and get DLNA on this puppy so I don't have to use my awesome WDTV box (I'll use that on another tv).

catfishtx

Honorable
May 15, 2012
To be fair, the PS4 didn't support DLNA at launch either. I use my PS3 to stream movies from my PC to the living room 10X more often than I play a Blu-Ray or DVD. I never understood why MS didn't support DLNA with the 360 or the XB1, especially when they are going for the whole "1 device to rule them All" plan. I mean, my Win8 tablet does.

Status
Not open for further replies.